Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:49 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,095,275 times

Advertisements

Can you find a pet sitter for the first six months so you will have time to move over, find jobs and find a rental that accepts large pets? Very few rentals accept pets and even less of them accept large pets. Especially young ones which will still want to chew on things.

Pack all your stuff in clearly numbered boxes and store them somewhere that a friend can get them and ship them to you if you want them later. Just bring the bare necessities and if you decide you like it, you can ask your friend to ship the boxes as you need them. If the boxes are numbered and you have an inventory list, then you just ask your friend to ship boxes #4 and #7 or whichever ones you want.

Forget the RV. No place to park it, no facilities for it. Forget shipping stuff in your car, it will be gone through and all the good stuff will disappear before your car reappears again. Can you sell your car there and buy a similar one here? The $1,000 or more cost of shipping will give you a lot of extra room to play with the buying and selling of similar vehicles.

When you get your car over here you are supposed to get a tax sticker on it unless you get Hawaii plates. Since you haven't ever paid road taxes in our state you are supposed to get the tax sticker to drive on the roads. If you don't have the sticker you can get a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 07:05 PM

7 posts, read 29,371 times
nabs1004,

4. Hawaii has a rather large K.A. community and you won't find it difficult to find them. As with most places, church is a big thing so if you're religioius, it will be pretty easy.

5. Definitely, lots of social orgs around here. There are a number focused on the KA community so I suggest you start there.

Good luck!.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:49 AM

11 posts, read 34,728 times
hotzcatz -
finding a pet sitter for that long is definitely not an option. I'm attached to the hip with my dog and I would hate to be away from him that long let alone finding someone who would give him just as much TLC. I've found quite a few places though on craigslist that allow dogs and although many have size limits, everything is negotiable. =) I'm not worried about finding a rental that allow dogs so much now, but more so how fast can I find one once we step foot(paw) in HNL.

I love your idea on numbering the boxes, that's a great organizational strategy~! I will be stealing your idea on that one for sure!

Yes, forget the RV, we need to sell it on the mainland. Thanks for the tip on leaving valuable items in the car! We'll be shipping our items separately and not stuffing the car.

Didn't know about the tax sticker, thanks for the heads up!

Geo kid- thanks for the advice, do you have a particular church that you would recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu