Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 07:05 AM

100 posts, read 78,001 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be retiring in a few years and want to relocate to Hawaii. I have been to Hawaii more times than I can count (since I was 16 years old) and love it. However, in all of my trips to Oahu, I never visited the west coast. I noticed that condos were much less expensive in the Makaha Valley/Waianae area. Is it really that bad to live in that area? I have heard lots of "rumors" about how it is - homelessness, homeowners that do not like the "haoles" or in my case "hapa haole". But it is affordable. I know there have been many posts about this area - I have searched the forum. My friends living in Oahu have differing opinions on this area. One says, "no way", the other said to be prepared to not be accepted, but once they figure out you are going to stay, they will gradually "accept" you. Thoughts? Comments? Other areas in Oahu are unfortunately out of our budget range as a retired couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 09:42 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
I can't speak specifically to Makaha Valley - but Waianae is the only area on Oahu that makes me genuinely nervous.

I'd rather walk around Kalihi during the evening than Waianae during the day.

You should look the Big Island - that is generally where the folks who are budget constrained end up.

Old 08-28-2020, 10:58 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I don't know about the Makaha Valley, but I have plenty of friends who own and have lived in Waianae. And the neighborhood has some beautiful areas, perhaps appropriately priced due to some shady areas? You'll see some of the oceanfront condos here (I don't know if some of the lower prices are fee simple or leasehold): https://www.zillow.com/waianae-hi/condos/

I can get why some would feel on edge in Waianae. If you've experienced rough areas in the past (and Waianae is nowhere near as rough as the neighborhoods I grew up in during the 1990s in Brooklyn . . . it's practically paradise to mid-1990s Bed Stuy, Brooklyn), though, you'll be fine. I traveled for take out from Coquitos (excellent Puerto Rican food), went to the beach and hung out with friends in the area quite a bit and felt just fine.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:27 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
How about renting in the area for six months to a year and then deciding to buy or not?

Old 08-29-2020, 01:44 AM

80 posts, read 88,481 times
That general area is rougher around the edges and likely not the most friendly to white transplants. Big island is a good suggestion for white mainland transplants on a budget, plenty of those types of folks end up there.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:32 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg67 View Post
That general area is rougher around the edges and likely not the most friendly to white transplants. Big island is a good suggestion for white mainland transplants on a budget, plenty of those types of folks end up there.
I'm curious to know if OP is someone who is looking for the amenities that a larger population center (Oahu vs. any of the other islands) has to offer. For me personally, I don't think I would ever be happy on one of the other islands. I have too much big city spirit in me

Old 08-29-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I can't speak specifically to Makaha Valley - but Waianae is the only area on Oahu that makes me genuinely nervous.

I'd rather walk around Kalihi during the evening than Waianae during the day.

You should look the Big Island - that is generally where the folks who are budget constrained end up.
We have considered the Big Island, but we both have health conditions and for that reason would be better on Oahu.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't know about the Makaha Valley, but I have plenty of friends who own and have lived in Waianae. And the neighborhood has some beautiful areas, perhaps appropriately priced due to some shady areas? You'll see some of the oceanfront condos here (I don't know if some of the lower prices are fee simple or leasehold): https://www.zillow.com/waianae-hi/condos/

I can get why some would feel on edge in Waianae. If you've experienced rough areas in the past (and Waianae is nowhere near as rough as the neighborhoods I grew up in during the 1990s in Brooklyn . . . it's practically paradise to mid-1990s Bed Stuy, Brooklyn), though, you'll be fine. I traveled for take out from Coquitos (excellent Puerto Rican food), went to the beach and hung out with friends in the area quite a bit and felt just fine.
Thanks for the link to the condos. It was the same link I was looking at before I posted. Some do look pretty bad, but others are not too bad at all. I guess it will require quite a bit of due diligence on my part to figure out the best place to go. Luckily, I do have a realtor friend that lives on the Oahu; but I think he sells primarily in the more expensive neighborhoods. I've never lived in a "shady" area, so I am anticipating it to be much different than the living I am accustomed to. Although living in Houston, there are quite a few shady areas that I have driven through. I am trying to convince my husband to go over there and rent just for 6 months to a year to see if it is something we want for our "forever" home. I truly don't think I will take any convincing; but with hubby, it will be questionable.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
How about renting in the area for six months to a year and then deciding to buy or not?
Yep, just my thoughts! I love Hawaii, dad lived there for over 25 years before he passed away. In all that time, I never ventured to the west coast. Unfortunately, I sold his leasehold condo when he died (mostly due to hubby's influence). But my heart has never left the islands. We could put our belongings in storage and rent a furnished apartment and see what it is like to actually "live" there.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg67 View Post
My concern is medical access on the Big Island. Also the beaches. From what I remember, there are not as many golden sandy beaches on that island - lots of rocky shores and black sand beaches. But out of all the trips I've made to Hawaii, I've only been to the Big Island once, so I suppose it's worth a trip to research it further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu