Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 06:07 PM

57 posts, read 52,412 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm familiar with Honolulu. I used to live there and my brother still lives there. As a city, it's great. I think it's tremendously underrated when we bring up urban cities. It's dense, the weather is phenomenal, it's gorgeous, and the food is delicious! The Island of Oahu will offer you plenty of hiking and outdoor opportunities, and you'll have easier access to East Asia for travel. I recommend it!

In regards to living, Waikiki is okay. It can be noisy and busy. Check out Kaka'ako which is a great urban neighborhood probably 2-3 miles to the west. Oh, also, the only Kahana Stream I know of on the island is on the North Shore, which would be 2 hours from Honolulu...

I can't comment on the dating scene as I'm a happily married gay guy. But yes, 2 thumbs up for Honolulu from my perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 10:23 AM

6,356 posts, read 5,002,654 times
people tend to shorten words. why that irritates me so, i do not know.

examples:

veggies...just say 'vegetables'.

cali...for California.

meds...i just say 'prescription', 'pills', or just the archaic term 'medicine'.

what thing that i've noticed in this thread is that every hawaiian here continues to say "Honolulu". It is a beautiful sounding word and I am glad to read it.
thankfully the common moniker hasn't devolved to hono, lulu, or hon-lu.

*yes, totally off-topic.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:01 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,595,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

examples:

cali...for California.

what thing that i've noticed in this thread is that every hawaiian here continues to say "Honolulu". It is a beautiful sounding word and I am glad to read it.

*yes, totally off-topic.
Shortening words serves a purpose. Even phrases. They do it in the medical field a lot. I'm assuming you're not in healthcare.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:44 PM

6,378 posts, read 4,751,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

examples:

cali...for California.

*yes, totally off-topic.
I find obscure acronyms to be far more annoying, particularly when they are from specialized fields and not used in common vernacular.

Especially in Original posts.

Old 12-24-2020, 03:34 PM

125 posts, read 119,628 times
I lived there for 5 years and I’m a good-looking, fit, and well off guy. I have zero trouble with women but I’d vote honolulu as being a pretty crappy dating scene, especially if you’re white.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDlife View Post
I lived there for 5 years and I’m a good-looking, fit, and well off guy. I have zero trouble with women but I’d vote honolulu as being a pretty crappy dating scene, especially if you’re white.
That sucks. I decided not to take the job. A pay cut and higher taxes didn’t make any sense for me. No idea white guys would have a problem in HI.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:39 PM

30,457 posts, read 17,882,071 times
Quote:
Really? My white friends have had zero problem finding dates. Me and my fellow black friends have had much more trouble.

Old 12-25-2020, 11:58 AM

125 posts, read 119,628 times
It’s a crappy dating scene compared to most areas of the mainland for a multitude of reasons. The underlying race issues are significant factor, amount of single people, transiat nature, military presence, costs, and loads of other things.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
It’s a crappy dating scene compared to most areas of the mainland for a multitude of reasons. The underlying race issues are significant factor, amount of single people, transiat nature, military presence, costs, and loads of other things.
The salaries suck for the cost of living there. Also, the taxes are very high. I was open to escaping to HI for a year but the lower salary and higher taxes didn't make any sense.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:04 PM

959 posts, read 1,201,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
The salaries suck for the cost of living there. Also, the taxes are very high. I was open to escaping to HI for a year but the lower salary and higher taxes didn't make any sense.
I think you made the best decision. Financially I feel most people can do better on the mainland. And the just vacation or retire in Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: