Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 08:16 AM

14 posts, read 21,100 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are moving this fall from Los Angeles to Oahu and I have a few questions (that have been asked many times before). I already have a secure job - will be taking a job transfer. I am interested in buying rather than renting a single family home (3+bd/2+ba), we have two kids, 9 and 4, and have a dog. Additionally, my mom will likely be moving with us. Will be working in/near Kapolei area.
What are your thoughts on buying vs renting? Budget for house is ~800-900k. Have been looking at/referred to areas such as Mililani, Kapolei and Ewa Beach. Good schools are a must. Have also seen some new homes up near Makaha that look nice on the internet. Areas to avoid?
Willing to drive ~30-40 minutes if that helps or opens up our options.
Thoughts on Real Estate prices on the island?
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 10:46 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
I would rent a year.

Real estate likely to take a massive free fall over the next year. The West side of the island takes the biggest hit. There will be desperation selling from people who can’t afford mortgages and foreclosures

Old 07-18-2020, 04:32 PM

451 posts, read 411,723 times
I too would recommend renting a year or so. If only to get your feet in the ground and appreciate what options are available to you and your family's best needs.

You stated you have children, and there is the issue of schools. Public schools generally have a poor reputation, and it continues to be an unfortunate situation, however much like the mainland, the better public schools are located in zip codes where household income and property values are well in excess of average and lower than average. If you choose public schools, the schools your children attend will be determined by where you live. Your other option is private schooling and its associated costs. I would recommend you very carefully study which schools, public and private will provide the best opportunities for your children

I don't necessarily agree with WV's broad assessment of the real estate market. We have had a continual shortage of housing on the island. I also believe demand depends a great deal on the neighborhood. IMO, highly desirable, in demand neighborhoods will continue to retain much of their value.

In addition, we are experiencing, extremely low mortgage interest rates which may continue for the foreseeable future. I think this too will help support and sustain demand and soften a significant downturn in a number of neighborhoods on the island.

Will we see foreclosures? I think so. Like everywhere, Hawai'i has its share of over leveraged and under-capitalized homeowners and investors, however after the value destruction and losses experienced in the 2008 housing market
collapse, I suspect lenders will be more amenable to examine various work-arounds to mitigate losses.
We may likely soon see if this is realized or not.

Of course, I might be completely wrong in my assessment.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post

I don't necessarily agree with WV's broad assessment of the real estate market. We have had a continual shortage of housing on the island. I also believe demand depends a great deal on the neighborhood. IMO, highly desirable, in demand neighborhoods will continue to retain much of their value.
One only needs to look at the Great Recession and the impact on Oahu real estate prices - and Oahu fared the best of the islands.

The West side - Ewa Beach, Kapolei, etc....fared the worst, with at least a 20% drop.

The "desirable" neighborhoods fell at least 10%

Those were sustained drops.

The Great Recession will be pale in comparison to what this is.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:36 PM

451 posts, read 411,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
One only needs to look at the Great Recession and the impact on Oahu real estate prices - and Oahu fared the best of the islands.

The West side - Ewa Beach, Kapolei, etc....fared the worst, with at least a 20% drop.

The "desirable" neighborhoods fell at least 10%

Those were sustained drops.

The Great Recession will be pale in comparison to what this is.

My opinion only,

I happen to disagree it will be as severe. The difference between then and now is that lending capital
dried up in 2008. That was a significant contribution to the reductions in property values, and that is
not the case now. Lenders have plenty of money to lend at this time. In addition, from my perspective,
Covid19 and its effects will be a relatively short in duration. The Great Recession was not.

Again, we'll see.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:04 AM

14 posts, read 21,100 times
Thank you so much for your answers, I appreciate your perspective. We will look at the rental situation and see if it will work for our situation, I know this is probably the smart move. I have heard that it is very difficult to find rental properties if you have dogs, is this accurate? More so than on the mainland? Are there any specific rental websites that you can recommend? I have looked a little bit through Google and Zillow - will expand my efforts.
For schools, any input on Mililani Mauka or Mililani Uka? There also seem to be quite a few good public schools over towards Honolulu and the East side (Waikiki, University Lab, and Ka'elepulu Elementary).

Old 07-19-2020, 08:14 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
I don't think rentals with a dog are hard to come by, but be prepared to pay more (either via an increased deposit and/or monthly pet rent) to do so. There are PLENTY of people on island with dogs and certainly not all of them own their places.

From my experience, rental listings will typically spell out if they are pet friendly or not, so you shouldn't have much of a problem knowing this.

In terms of websites, I always encourage folks to sign up for AHRN (it is geared toward military, but you don't have to be military to use it) as one option. Craigslist and similar sites are good, too, but I feel like you're less likely to fall victim to a scam on AHRN.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Lenders have plenty of money to lend at this time.
They still want you to have a job - and those are rapidly disappearing - Last month's rosy unemployment number, if you can call the low 10's that - didn't include temporary furloughed workers, or much of the tourism industry.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:24 PM

206 posts, read 186,391 times
Of the three areas you mentioned: Mililani, Kapolei and Ewa Beach, Mililani has the better schools.

You will definitely want to rent to get a feel of the areas before you drop 800-900k on a permanent residence. You should be able to find a decent SFH in the Mililani area for that price.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:52 AM

80 posts, read 88,540 times
I'd rent for the reasons stated so far, plus to ensure you'll actually be here long enough to make buying worthwhile. Transplants don't often stick, hopefully you've done your research, especially with kids in the mix. But in any case, Mililani is your best bet. I'd avoid Makaha or anywhere really along that coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: