Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 12:41 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Maryland but have thought about doing interim assignments in healthcare in HI. Out of the blue, I received a phone call yesterday about a permanent position about 2 miles north of Waikiki near Kanaha Stream. If offered the position, I might accept, but would like some locals perspectives on some things:

1) Is Hawaii a great place to live? I know its very subjective but a friend of mine used to live in Waikiki and loved it. I'm 42 and single so I would want an area with a good amount of available women to date and also things to do.

2) Where should I live? I've heard Waikiki is great. I've seen some 2 bedroom apartments for $2,500 and less which I found surprising. Any other areas or is this the best place to live in the area? Is parking a problem or do some apartments and condos and parking available?

I guess I'm just looking for overall opinions as I would be moving thousands of miles from home to live on an island. With Asia, Australia, and New Zealand so much closer than where I am I would definitely take advantage of traveling to those areas as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 01:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post

1) I'm 42 and single so I would want an area with a good amount of available women to date

2) Where should I live? I've heard Waikiki is great. I've seen some 2 bedroom apartments for $2,500 and less which I found surprising.
If available women is a main criteria I’d skip it. They will also be less than impressed with your under $2,500/month Waikiki apartment

Old 12-16-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If available women is a main criteria I’d skip it. They will also be less than impressed with your under $2,500/month Waikiki apartment
HA! Well I am single and don't want to move to a place full of married people. I lived in Vermont for a while and everyone was married. I wouldn't think HI would be a place full of money hungry women. I've heard its laid back.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
HA! Well I am single and don't want to move to a place full of married people. I lived in Vermont for a while and everyone was married. I wouldn't think HI would be a place full of money hungry women.
You should rethink your position - Honolulu is a major city.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You should rethink your position - Honolulu is a major city.
And? Not sure what that means.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:13 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
I would go for it if the job was real and the pay right. Dating scene if Oahu is like maui most singles are under 30. Working restaurants, hotel. Your dating pool will be dependent on where you spend your time. You would have to focus on where to meet the type of person you want. Lots of outdoor activities and community to get involved with to meet people. Hawaii is great for traveling to the places you mentioned that alone for me would be a reason to relocate. No move has to be forever. All of Hawaii very expensive. Rents for anything you want to live in will be in that ballpark.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:21 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
I may be wrong because I'm happily partnered and not in need of a dating scene, but this is my take:

The bad news: Long term local lady's are not likely going to date you. They won't see a long term prospect because likelihood is you'll be returning to the mainland.

The Good News: Normally, Waikiki would have a good number of people who are also recent transplants working in the hotels/restaurants/bars, etc and they would be wiling to date you.

The Bad News: With the pandemic going on, many of those recent transplants working in Waikiki are no longer working in Waikiki. Some have left, some are there but with no jobs.

The Good News: If you have a job, it makes you more attractive to those who do not have a job.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:50 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
When the pandemic is over, there will be loads of folks to date in Waikiki. Friend of mine used to walk up and down the beach and proposition tourists. He said out of fifty propositions, he'd get turned down forty nine times. But there's thousands of tourists, so he'd eventually hook up. Most tourists are visiting for a week to ten days, so he'd have to start over in about a week.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:01 AM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
When the pandemic is over, there will be loads of folks to date in Waikiki. Friend of mine used to walk up and down the beach and proposition tourists. He said out of fifty propositions, he'd get turned down forty nine times. But there's thousands of tourists, so he'd eventually hook up. Most tourists are visiting for a week to ten days, so he'd have to start over in about a week.
Not so many years ago, I used to see local women just walking up and down Kalakaua and/or Kuhio late each evening specifically looking for people to date. Well, maybe not "date" in the traditional sense of the word. Temporary companionship may be more accurate. But, those were the good old days. Haven't seen it now for awhile.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:40 AM

So is Honolulu a good place to live? I'd at least give it a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: