Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 01:46 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,217 times

Advertisements

We have plenty of conversations on here about people asking about moving here, but I didn’t see anything fresh on why people move away. Thought it might be helpful to point out the common reasons people move away. I’ll Start:

Cost of living
Be closer to Family
Tired of the compromises
Duty Station reassignment / job transfer
Long term impact on retirement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 03:37 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I see your location is still listed as Honolulu. Do you still live there/plan to return?

For me, I moved to Oahu in March of 2016 for work (military officer here). I moved away in August of 2019 in a duty station reassignment to the east coast.

I plan to move back to Oahu next year (won't know if this will happen until August 1st of this year, though it is all but certain to happen) for work.

There are many things that I like about living in Hawaii, to include nice weather, slower pace of life, good food, nice people, higher pay (even considering the higher cost of living compared to many places) given the higher housing allowance and COLA I get paid out there, etc. I do not like how far away it is from friends and family on the mainland, though.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:33 PM

Still in Honolulu, been here for 10 years now. Have had tons of friends leave over the years though.

You bring up a good point - Military. Being Military has some huge advantages that the general public does not get. COLA, and use of the Commissary are HUGE.

Old 05-21-2021, 05:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Let’s not kid ourselves. Downsizing to an under 1000 sq ft place at half your pay isn’t for the faint of heart. You’ll likely not get visited. Realize living here isn’t a vacation. Understand it’s a small island. You are probably a minority - and not everyone adjusts to that.

Old 05-21-2021, 06:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Let’s not kid ourselves. Downsizing to an under 1000 sq ft place at half your pay isn’t for the faint of heart. You’ll likely not get visited. Realize living here isn’t a vacation. Understand it’s a small island. You are probably a minority - and not everyone adjusts to that.
I moved from 4 bedrooms in California to 1 bedroom in Maui and wouldn't go back for anything. The fact that my condo is so close to the ocean that I can toss in a stone from my lanai makes up for the loss of square footage. I never get tired of that view! I've also found a retirement job I enjoy and made some good friends here.

If I ever leave it would likely be for advanced medical care. It is pretty limited here.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Still in Honolulu, been here for 10 years now. Have had tons of friends leave over the years though.

You bring up a good point - Military. Being Military has some huge advantages that the general public does not get. COLA, and use of the Commissary are HUGE.
Oh, it's huge. If I return to Hawaii next year as planned, I'll be getting at least another $12,000 (and possibly 50% more than that) a year when you factor in increased housing pay and COLA. And all tax free.

I definitely shop at the commissary more frequently when I live in Hawaii vs. when I live on the mainland as the price differences are more stark.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:57 PM

Some good input! Update to the list on why people choose to leave is below. Note that most military members experience a different lifestyle due to the benefits that are provided which make life here easier (rightfully so), and they typically don’t have as much say on coming to or leaving the islands. This list is more focused on people who choose to leave:

Cost of living
-Smaller housing for the money as compared to mainland
-Lower income for the same type of work

Be closer to Family
-If visited here, those visits drop off over the years

Tired of the compromises

Job transfer

Long term impact on retirement

NEW:
Unmatched expectations
-Expectation that vacation lifestyle is similar to local lifestyle

Island Fever
-The island is only so big. At some point you will have visited most things to do several times over.

Cultural Differences
-Because the primary race/culture is Asian/Polynesian some people do not adjust or choose not to

Medical Care
-Advanced medical care is not as accessible here

Old 05-22-2021, 04:25 PM

I like the list! I'll just add that military moves are important to discuss in my view as many of us do have a say in getting stationed in Hawaii. And many of us choose to come in the first place, refuse to come back, decide to leave, or fight like hell to come back for a host of reasons. Note, more than a few also decide to stay and retire on the island, whether that's an official military retirement or just staying on the islands after otherwise separating.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:30 AM

80 posts, read 88,584 times
School, career, more pay, lower costs, more excitement or things to do, lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu