Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 05:12 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Sure - if one buys a home in Ewa Beach versus a condo in Kakaako - you are bound to have differences.

But apples to apples - especially on Oahu, single family home appreciate faster
But it would really be hard to get apples to apples comparison between a condo and a house in the same neighborhood. But a million will get me into a higher appreciation condo neighborhood than the market it would get me into for a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 07:26 PM

30,623 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I'd rent before I bought and I'd be looking in Kaka'ako, not Waikiki.
There are some nice new developments coming along in Waikiki (and a few nice existing ones where I wouldn't mind living). I came across a building under development next to the Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach on Kuhio during my trip just now. Though, I'd agree with you that I'd generally look to Kaka'ako vs. Waikiki.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
There are some nice new developments coming along in Waikiki (and a few nice existing ones where I wouldn't mind living). I came across a building under development next to the Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach on Kuhio during my trip just now. Though, I'd agree with you that I'd generally look to Kaka'ako vs. Waikiki.
This is going to be all rentals. There 50 below market units out of 400.
https://us5.campaign-archive.com/?e=...&id=a1f72662b1

It will be interesting to see the impact on the Waikiki rental market.

Kaka'ako is new and such but you are still 8 lanes away from the beach and the traffic noise has to be considerable. Out of the 40+ new buildings I think only a few will hold value from their original pricing. I think they have too much extras to upkeep and the high expenses will keep values down. Waikiki has issues also but I think values will continue along as they have.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:14 PM

30,623 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
This is going to be all rentals. There 50 below market units out of 400.
https://us5.campaign-archive.com/?e=...&id=a1f72662b1

It will be interesting to see the impact on the Waikiki rental market.

Kaka'ako is new and such but you are still 8 lanes away from the beach and the traffic noise has to be considerable. Out of the 40+ new buildings I think only a few will hold value from their original pricing. I think they have too much extras to upkeep and the high expenses will keep values down. Waikiki has issues also but I think values will continue along as they have.
Ah, thanks! I didn't know know that about the development until you posted. It is looking pretty nice, all the same.

As for some of the Kaka-ako developments, the sound-proofing in some of them is pretty solid. My friend owns in the building atop of the Mercedes-Benz of Honolulu building off Ward and Kapiolani (I think it's the symphony building but am blanking on the name); on the other end of Kaka'ako and a little farther from the water. If this is standard sound-proofing, then many may not have much to worry about

Old 09-10-2021, 06:13 PM

I don't have any properties with over $700 maintenance fees. I do have a 2 bedroom mid $600's and a small unit mid $600's but that includes electricity, cable and internet! Some of the listings are coops and those don't always separate the property taxes out of the maintenance.

If you lived in a single family you would have to include such expenses as alarm monitoring, landscaper, pool service, roof and painting, etc. And management of those services. You do have more control of how and when those services are done but they do add up. Also your condo insurance included in your maintenance will cover pretty much everything past your paint. Some things are more expensive in a large building but other things you should have some economies of scale.

Last edited by GoldKona; 09-10-2021 at 07:25 PM..

Old 09-13-2021, 01:51 AM

39 posts, read 31,230 times
To add to this subject is the shutting down the short term rentals for condos outside of Waikiki. They are looking at requiring a 180 day lease for all rentals. This basically kills the airbnb market outside of Waikiki. There are 880 authorized rental properties in Oahu as of now. This is basically because the airbnb have been taking away from the 100,000 hotel rooms in Waikiki.

The $1000 for condo maintenance is a fact of life for the better condos for a 2 bedroom and 2 bath unit.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:36 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKANEHI View Post
This basically kills the airbnb market outside of Waikiki.
Regardless of new rules - AirBnb has not listed illegal rentals without a permit for quite some time.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:54 PM

122 posts, read 82,712 times
With regard to HOA/Condo fees, BUYER BEWARE! The fees are not based on size or amenities. It is critical for all buyers to review, and understand, the Association's annual budget, and, especially, their 20 year Reserve Funding plan. While there are many buildings with reasonable fees, you need to see that the reserves meet the needs of a particular property. The maintenance fee is not an arbitrary number...it is calculated from two separate elements. First is your "operating" budget, which addresses ordinary expenditures such as water, sewer, trash removal, insurance, yard service, and other daily/monthly items that vary from project to project. It also includes a small amount of contingency funds for the occasional unexpected plumbing or electrical issue, or minor building repairs. All operating expenditures are for a single budget year (either the current year, or the upcoming year for planning purposes). Left over contingency and other funds are "rolled over" to the next year. The second, and most critical element of your maintenance fee is the Reserve Funding. Hawaii Condo laws require EVERY common element that would cost more than $10,000 to substantially repair or replace be identified as a separate line item on the funding plan. Your Board needs to determine the "remaining life" and current "replacement cost" of each element, calculate AND Fund for your needs over a minimum of a 20 year plan. This will ensure the Association has the needed funds as the various elements "wear out". It also will result in a more stable long term maintenance fee cost. It would be expected to rise each year, but not dramatically, and without requiring a separate Special Assessment if monitored and adjusted properly.

Unfortunately, there are MANY Associations that are proud of not having raised their maintenance fees for years. Generally speaking, they have failed to properly maintain the property, and you will be forced to pay a large "Special Assessment" or see your fees dramatically increase in order to "catch up" with deferred maintenance at some point. This is contrary to the intent of the project developers, and the law. New buyers should not have to pay for elements that old owners have "used up" over the prior 20 years.

Keep in mind, your Association is a "Non-Profit" entity (usually). The sole purpose of the Association is to protect and maintain ALL of the common elements in a clean, safe, and effective manner, and to assess the owner's the necessary amount to accomplish this. It is NOT your Board's purpose to choose which elements to keep up, and which they can ignore in order to keep fees down.

Of course, a two bedroom highrise unit with pool and other amenities is going to cost more than a studio walk-up for basic maintenance, which will certainly lead to a higher maintenance fee, but that studio could be facing huge increase or Assessment if their Reserve planning is a fail.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:24 AM

2,400 posts, read 782,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
With regard to HOA/Condo fees, BUYER BEWARE! The fees are not based on size or amenities. It is critical for all buyers to review, and understand, the Association's annual budget, and, especially, their 20 year Reserve Funding plan. While there are many buildings with reasonable fees, you need to see that the reserves meet the needs of a particular property. The maintenance fee is not an arbitrary number...it is calculated from two separate elements. First is your "operating" budget, which addresses ordinary expenditures such as water, sewer, trash removal, insurance, yard service, and other daily/monthly items that vary from project to project. It also includes a small amount of contingency funds for the occasional unexpected plumbing or electrical issue, or minor building repairs. All operating expenditures are for a single budget year (either the current year, or the upcoming year for planning purposes). Left over contingency and other funds are "rolled over" to the next year. The second, and most critical element of your maintenance fee is the Reserve Funding. Hawaii Condo laws require EVERY common element that would cost more than $10,000 to substantially repair or replace be identified as a separate line item on the funding plan. Your Board needs to determine the "remaining life" and current "replacement cost" of each element, calculate AND Fund for your needs over a minimum of a 20 year plan. This will ensure the Association has the needed funds as the various elements "wear out". It also will result in a more stable long term maintenance fee cost. It would be expected to rise each year, but not dramatically, and without requiring a separate Special Assessment if monitored and adjusted properly.

Unfortunately, there are MANY Associations that are proud of not having raised their maintenance fees for years. Generally speaking, they have failed to properly maintain the property, and you will be forced to pay a large "Special Assessment" or see your fees dramatically increase in order to "catch up" with deferred maintenance at some point. This is contrary to the intent of the project developers, and the law. New buyers should not have to pay for elements that old owners have "used up" over the prior 20 years.

Keep in mind, your Association is a "Non-Profit" entity (usually). The sole purpose of the Association is to protect and maintain ALL of the common elements in a clean, safe, and effective manner, and to assess the owner's the necessary amount to accomplish this. It is NOT your Board's purpose to choose which elements to keep up, and which they can ignore in order to keep fees down.

Of course, a two bedroom highrise unit with pool and other amenities is going to cost more than a studio walk-up for basic maintenance, which will certainly lead to a higher maintenance fee, but that studio could be facing huge increase or Assessment if their Reserve planning is a fail.
Great explanation.

I noticed you tempered your comments with a strategically-placed "usually".

In your well-informed opinion, how big of a percentage of the whole does "usually" pertain to? Is it a common situation, or rarely found, or somewhere in between.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:54 AM

122 posts, read 82,712 times
Rarely. I qualified the statement "just in case". With thousands of Associations in Hawaii alone, anything is possible...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu