Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 02:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

In the event you plan to camp at Bellows this summer - you will not be able to do so. You can still visit the beach on weekends. Suspended until Sept 1

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/0...urtle-nesting/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 02:39 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
I’m all for turtles. But …

Anyone aware of the military training at the beach weekdays, has to wonder.

Bellows AFS campground and beach next door is my favorite escape. If they shut that down for johnny-come-lately opportunistic turtles, I’m gonna get cranky

Old 04-08-2022, 04:20 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I would have thought that the city/state would have not been allowed to set such a requirement? But then again I don't really know the status of Bellows.

Old 04-08-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I would have thought that the city/state would have not been allowed to set such a requirement? But then again I don't really know the status of Bellows.
I'm sure the city or state consulted with the military before the announcement. Regardless - it is State property.

For history, in 1964 the military handed over the beachfront to the State and the City maintains it. It can only be used by the public on weekends and national holidays. I'm sure that was part of the handover terms.

Old 04-08-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm sure the city or state consulted with the military before the announcement. Regardless - it is State property.

For history, in 1964 the military handed over the beachfront to the State and the City maintains it. It can only be used by the public on weekends and national holidays. I'm sure that was part of the handover terms.
46 acres were handed over to the city and state in 1964 for use by the public on weekends and national holidays as you mentioned, but I think the feds kept the remainder I wonder if this is the part before they start asking people to produce military ID?

https://hawaiibeachsafety.com/oahu/bellows-field-beach

I'm curious if this prohibition against camping applies to the closed off section of Bellows that I'd frequent when living on the islands Or if it just applies to the 46 acres turned over to the city and state in 1964?

Old 04-08-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
46 acres were handed over to the city and state in 1964 for use by the public on weekends and national holidays as you mentioned, but I think the feds kept the remainder I wonder if this is the part before they start asking people to produce military ID?

https://hawaiibeachsafety.com/oahu/bellows-field-beach

I'm curious if this prohibition against camping applies to the closed off section of Bellows that I'd frequent when living on the islands Or if it just applies to the 46 acres turned over to the city and state in 1964?
You mean you were stationed on Oahu previously and never went to Bellows AFS?

For readers unaware, Bellows AFS is a huge MWR military only recreation reservation with beach cabins and campgrounds - adjacent to but entirely separate from the public use beach. There is a guard shack just past the public beach. Military ID is required to pass through. 24/7 AFSF security patrol. The AFS beach is considered one of Oahu’s best.

The very popular public Bellows campground and beach is only open on weekends because the military still has an active training ground just mauka of the public beach … and on random weekdays troops with various mechanized units and landing craft practice beach assaults.

Soooo … those turtles … uh … do they also only use the public beach and not the MWR beach … and only on weekends? Inquiring retired military minds want to know.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
The very popular public Bellows campground and beach is only open on weekends because the military still has an active training ground just mauka of the public beach … and on random weekdays troops with various mechanized units and landing craft practice beach assaults.
Fatal MV-22 crash just 7 years ago

https://www.military.com/video/aircr.../4724991846001

Old 04-09-2022, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You mean you were stationed on Oahu previously and never went to Bellows AFS?

For readers unaware, Bellows AFS is a huge MWR military only recreation reservation with beach cabins and campgrounds - adjacent to but entirely separate from the public use beach. There is a guard shack just past the public beach. Military ID is required to pass through. 24/7 AFSF security patrol. The AFS beach is considered one of Oahu’s best.

Soooo … those turtles … uh … do they also only use the public beach and not the MWR beach … and only on weekends? Inquiring retired military minds want to know.
Yes, but part of the area is subject to a security access checkpoint, while the other isn't Unless the entire area is subject to a security access checkpoint, but part of the checkpoint is abandoned on the weekends and holidays; come to think of it I've probably only been to bellows on the weekends or holidays, which could factor into my confusion over things on this point My confusion is over what was covered by this order. Specifically whether the order covered the beach where you need to show your DoD ID to gain access to or the part of the beach before you get to that point. I just called the entire thing Bellows but only ever actually swam/lounged at the part where you need military ID to enter

Old 04-09-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, but part of the area is subject to a security access checkpoint, while the other isn't Unless the entire area is subject to a security access checkpoint, but part of the checkpoint is abandoned on the weekends and holidays; come to think of it I've probably only been to bellows on the weekends or holidays, which could factor into my confusion over things on this point My confusion is over what was covered by this order. Specifically whether the order covered the beach where you need to show your DoD ID to gain access to or the part of the beach before you get to that point. I just called the entire thing Bellows but only ever actually swam/lounged at the part where you need military ID to enter
There are two guard shacks. First one is right after you turn off hiway onto Tinker Road … that one is manned on weekends by county civilian monitors who collect use fees from civilians … weekdays there’s just a ‘Closed’ sign with no guard or monitor unless the Marines are training on the beaches.

The second guard shack is waaay in, just past the public use beach and right before Tinker crosses the Waimanalo stream into the MWR reservation. That second shack is manned by Air Force Security personnel 24/7/365, always open, and requires your military / DoD ID.

Sounds like you maybe never went past the public use area. When you get back to the islands, go all the way in for a picnic lunch at least. Check out the beach rental cabins and camping grounds (3 areas for tenting), picnic pavilions, huge grounds with lawns and frisbee golf, etc.. Subway sandwich shop, shopette, gas pumps, weekend ‘Happy Hour Bar’ (if you drink), miniature golf course for kids, recreation equip rental shop, indoor and outdoor lounges with big tv … you know: MWR-ville stuff. . https://www.bellowsafs.com/

Now, about those turtles … I guess I’ll call to find out if AFS MWR beach is closed. There’s no mention on the MWR website so I’m guessing not. And how closing the public beach weekends helps the turtles while the Marines continue beach landings … is a headscratcher.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Yeah. Those MV Ospreys have a poor safety record (although by some statistical reckoning they are supposedly safe). Same aircraft that just crashed and killed Marines last week during exercises in Norway. There’s a squadron of them at MCBH Kaneohe … thundering monsters. No way turtles could stand it …

I speak from direct experience They train with those Ospreys on the old closed runways next to the little MCBH Bay campground too. Often at night. I have awakened to their tent-flattening rotor wash and deafening roar on occasion and had to just scurry off area until maneuvers ended. I was aircrew with SAR and RESCAP squadrons in 1960s Vietnam … same kind of operations: inserting and extracting troops, pulling out downed pilots. Helluva way to be awakened 55 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu