Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 AM

812 posts, read 2,309,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
Perhaps I am being misunderstood, but according to US News & World Report's most recent rankings, Chaminade is in their third tier (USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2008: Chaminade University of Honolulu: At a glance). You have to scroll down a bit, but it clearly states "U.S. News ranking: Universities-Master's (West), third tier."

Just above that line, it says: "Selectivity: Less selective." In fact, other ranking sites report Chaminade's "selection percentage" at 100%. (Chaminade University of Honolulu - Review and Web Ranking) The University of Hawaii at Manoa's is 60%, as a point of reference, which means they accept 60% of their applicants. BYU-Hawaii's acceptance rate is 30%.

The fact that US News places Chaminade in the third tier, however, means they do not place it in ibanez271's preferred "top 50%." I do not know what rankings or criteria he is referring to, but if it's important, I suggest he double-check before he moves for it.

I mean no disrespect to Chaminade, its programs, or its graduates. It is a very good choice for people who are already in Hawaii. Whether it is a school to move to Hawaii to attend depends upon the circumstances and goals of the individual(s) concerned.
No offense or anything of the sort is being taken at all. I know Univ of Hi just just take people either so I have no idea what there criteria is for the report. Never did I think you were disrespecting any schools at all. Even if you were, which you didn't come across that way, you certainly are entitled to your opinion.

Nursing programs weed people out as does any program if they can't cut it. No problem at all! I took no offense and in plain reality of universities and such, fact is, truth be told, how often do you get asked, "what univ did you attend"? In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM

65 posts, read 289,417 times
Okay, I'll be brave and open a sensitive subject for discussion.

When I arrived I was fortunate to find a Realtor who is a retired local peace officer. One of the first things he informed me about was the police corruption. Immediately after moving into our new home, I was complaining to my neighbor about the fighting ***** (roosters) in the house behind us. He quietly suggested I not call the cops (**** [rooster] fighting is illegal) because they were in on the fights.

I was going to suggest that you might specialize in "internal affairs" to rty to be part of the solution, but before I do that, would anybody like to comment on the alleged police corruption in Hawaii?

[quote=ibanez271;4183742]My fiance and I will soon be graduating...her from an RN program and I from the police academy. I will have about 20 hours left to finish my BS in criminal justice and have been looking in to the Charmade University of Honolulu (wow it's expensive). Until doing some research I had never even heard of it and I'm wondering what kind of reputation it has.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,900,976 times
Back to Prinny's comment, I would agree that when you're my age it doesn't matter much where you graduated from college. As a former hirer, though, when it does matter is when you're is just out of school, before you've had time to establish a professional track record. I would always encourage anyone who is serious about a career to go to the very best college (or program) they can get into, afford, etc. For better or worse, the institution's reputation is often a door-opener for that critical first "real" job, which seemed to be ibanez271's goal for himself and his fiance.

I'm not touching "alleged police corruption." Unh-unh, not me.

Last edited by whynot?; 06-22-2008 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Ref to OP

Old 06-22-2008, 02:56 PM

65 posts, read 289,417 times
I'm not touching "alleged police corruption." Unh-unh, not me.[/quote]

Ha! You guys will be the first to know if I get a knock at my door!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:15 PM

812 posts, read 2,309,041 times
I can tell you as far as alleged police corruption, you never heard about it when I lived there. They squashed it if it ever went on and police go to federal prison for wrong doing. Honolulu's Police Dept. I will say has an excellent reputation and very high standards. Not easy to get in at all!

As far as Chaminde goes, they have one of the very best science dept's that I know. A lot of pre med students at that school. When I attended, there was bo bursing program so I can't tell you anything about the nursing program. The tuition was expensive when I attended and I pay my sons graduate tuition so I know it's very expensive now. Classes sizes worked for me and except some were large during freshman/sophmore year but that was just a few classes. Overall I loved the school!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 12,404 times
The truth is I didn't plan to move to hawaii to attend any specific school. I just planed to finish my degree at a what ever school offered the program and would be most convenient provided the place was a fully accredited and half way decent facility.

Ultimately we just want to live in hawaii for a couple of years before I enter a career that will locate us lord knows where. I've had the blessing of a grandmother with employee/retiree flight benefits with AA and have traveled extensively across the US and to a lesser extent the world. Of all the places I've been I knew I wanted to live there most and my fiance agreed. While we are young and before we have children we want to experience something many people only dream of. I really appreciate all of your input.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,393,292 times
trust me, an RN making $30-42/hour in Hawaii, with the cost of living, is the same as if an RN made under $20/hour on the mainland...and we all know that RN's can make up to the same hourly rate on the mainland as in Hawaii....so there ya go, an RN salary goes ALOT further on the mainland. i know. been there done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: