U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 AM

1,375 posts, read 5,915,897 times

Advertisements

We just returned to Hilo after 4 days in Waikiki for a friend's wedding. (The wedding was outdoors at the Hyatt and the reception was at the Regency Ballroom. Maybe it's just me, getting married in such a public place wouldn't be my first choice....but the reception was really nice! The staff--and my friend's wedding planner--did a great job making the event really enjoyable!)

Here's my question for neighbor island residents....when you go to Oahu for a visit, how much time do you spend at the beach? Specifically, in Waikiki?

We had a fairly busy schedule with rehearsal dinner, wedding, and family potluck the day after for out of town guests, so that may explain why we were only at the beach for a total of about 45 minutes one afternoon....but I was surprised when the trip was over and we had spent most of our free time "sight-seeing" and, more importantly, visiting some of my favorite restaurants. I really meant to spend more time in the sun after our last three rainy months in Hilo. Do you find that you do the same thing when in Honolulu or do you spend plenty of time at the beach?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 12:57 PM

649 posts, read 3,273,691 times
So far, my trips to Oahu tend to be for business, so I'm lucky to get a half hour to sip a (way too expensive) drink by a hotel pool. I've been to Oahu about 4 times since moving here last August, and the only time I went to a beach there was when my sister had a conference (at the Waikiki Aquarium) and I accompanied her, so that we could snorkel Hanauma Bay together; we planned an extra morning to do that.

The beaches on Kauai are SO much less crowded, we prefer to go to the beach here. Now, I understand things are different over on the BI, esp. Hilo side, not so many nice beaches, so YMMV.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:51 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,585,506 times
Yeah! We always stay on the beach, but spend more time poolside or walking along the beach parks than really sitting on Waikiki beach. (I hate to be graphic, but the recurring sewage spills in Honolulu also discourage me from swimming there, too.)

Will be there in May for a wedding, so I'll re-evaluate then.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:54 PM

10,642 posts, read 20,368,913 times
We hardly even go into Waikiki let alone sit on the beach there. We visit friends, pick up the oddball part we can't find on this island, drive around a bit to see the changes and visit friends some more.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 PM

312 posts, read 1,266,943 times
i try to avoid waikiki or downtown in general when i'm there, avoid it like it's the plague. if i was to spend time on the beach, i would definately opt for anything north shore. there was one i liked a lot last time in Kailua, i think it was called Lani Kai? Not my normal cup of tea since it was backed by houses and had quite a few people on it, but the sand, water and view were just amazing.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 PM

3,199 posts, read 12,062,578 times
I go to Oahu to see a friend, have a dr. appt, and for shopping. Have beaches I love in Kona. However I have been to some just to say I did! Waikiki and North Shore, of course!

Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 PM

242 posts, read 1,100,463 times
Default Neigbor Island Resdents ... do ya do ya

I have been to Oahu a few times when I resided on Maui, and had one time that i could go to the beach in Laie, while visiting. Just sitting out on the beach, but not actually swimming.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:56 PM

65 posts, read 272,283 times
Because I get too much sun playing tennis, I try to hide from the sun when possible. So at home on the Big Island I go to the beach only to swim, then I leave right away. After business on Oahu, I love strolling Waikiki Beach to mingle with the tourists. They are so happy and are fun to be around. I am a positive energy vampire! I enjoy a relaxing sunset cocktail at the pink palace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or