Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 8,015 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone,

I currently live in Colorado and make just about $90k per year. I'm single, no kids, and have 75% disposable income.

Here's the thing. Life has really sucked for me here aside from the job. I have an opportunity to move there to get a masters degree and live near Waikiki / Manoa area. I have money to pay for school and will have about $10k in savings by the time I move- so will have to find a part time job doing something.

So.... here's my question. Am I out of my mind? I've pretty well reached the point where I want a fresh start and money is not really so much of an issue. I don't, however, want to move and end up camping on the beach because I am that dirt poor.

I've found advertisements for rooms for rent at about $750 / $800 per month. When I do the math, it seems like I could get by on food and general expenses for about $600 per month. Does this sound right?

My savings would be depleted by housing over the one year period, so it seems like I would need to find a job to cover the extra $600 per month. I have a computer background and pretty open to just about any type of job- just as long as I could get by with like a 12-15 hour work week. Reason for this is that I will need quite a bit of time to study.

So.... what do ya think? Am I missing anything? Is it even worth it after what I've explained?

On the flip side, I could stay here and keep my current job and save more money and just continue disliking everything about where I am at and what I do.

I want to go there, but just don't want to make a foolish decision.

All opinions are welcomed! I would love to hear from people regardless of whether you think I am an idiot or just the opposite.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:48 AM

203 posts, read 1,359,087 times
I've been looking into going to UH-Manoa myself, but for undergrad. Have you looked into student housing? On their website, it shows yearly housing (9 months, I'm guessing) as being $4232, which would come out to about $470 a month. I'm not sure if utilities and such are included, since I've never lived on campus.

UH Manoa Undergraduate Admissions: Financing Options: Tuition & Fees (http://manoa.hawaii.edu/admissions/undergrad/financing/tuition_fees.html - broken link)

Fees (http://www.housing.hawaii.edu/apply/fees.cfm - broken link)

Cheaper option, maybe?

Old 06-01-2009, 06:45 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,093,487 times
Making the salary you are now with the 75% disposable income, work for a couple years and save money like crazy, then buy a rooming house near U of H and rent out rooms to college kids while you finish school. Although, if you are making money already, I dunno if you'd really need a degree.

Still, being able to put away $65K a year is more than you'd ever be able to do in Hawaii. If it were me, I'd do it for at least a couple years to get a nest egg to work with. Then find a passion and figure out how to get folks to pay you to do it and you'll probably have enough money to fund the whole process.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:10 PM

217 posts, read 641,179 times
i would do it in a heartbeat, NOW if I could !! but i really LOVE hotzcatz idea of buying a rooming house and renting out the rooms, great idea!
good luck, and go for it!

Old 06-02-2009, 05:12 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,596,740 times
I would do it also OH!!! I am and i did take a paycut....

Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 8,015 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've come to that same conclusion as well. I'm going to work as long as I can.... it's intriguing taking things day-by-day, but that's the best way it seems lately.

As far as buying a rooming house, I only plan on living there for a year as my study will then take me onward, so that wouldn't really be an option for me. I do think it is a fantastic idea if the situation and timing were right though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu