Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:49 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
How much did you pay in maintenance fees over the years though?
Roughly $70,000 over 30 years. Not a bad deal at all considering what I got back back. I'm not gonna complain about money spent for water/garbage/sewer and maintaining the pool and the grounds while I'm lounging about the pool. There are definitely some economies of scale over my single family home.

The fees should pay for what is needed in a properly managed HOA and should add value to your property. We recently completely redid our pool. It is underused since we're so close to the beach but similar apartments without a pool sell for $20,000 to $30,000 less.

If you think money is not being spent wisely it is up to the owners to correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 04:01 PM

491 posts, read 1,652,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Housing in Hawaii is always more affordable yesterday. Friends from the mainland thought I was crazy to pay almost $35,000 for a one bedroom Diamond Head condo in 1978. They could buy 3beds/2bath single family for less. Now my property is worth over $400,000 and their SFH are less than $200,000.

That $35,000 WAS expensive then, otherwise I'd bought a couple of 'em. TODAY is the good ole days 10-20 years from now.
Actually, $35,000 for a 1bdrm in Hawaii in 1978, isn't bad at all. Sometimes, I hear my unlce talking about the good old days when he bought a studio condo in Chicago for $40,000 in the late 70's.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,664 times
What you are seeing in that bottom graph, were avg house prices go from one plateau around 300 to a new one around 600 is the deregulation of the mortgage industry. This is what caused the housing boom, and once everyone "owned" more house than they could really afford, the bubble burst.

winkosmosis: look at waikiki. Nearly all those high-rise appartment towers are condos. That's why there's such a high percentage in Hawaii. That and all the visitor accomodations along the coast of the other islands. In other words: 2-3 story condo resorts owned by individuals and managed by a hotel company. Personally, I don't like the condo fees either, too much uncertainty, and too many stories about incapable boards. But it works out for a lot of people, and in some places, there is no other option.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Here is an example I just pulled off a listing for a condo in Hawaii.
"Maintenance Fee Includes: Insurance, Cable TV, Electricity, Water, Sewer, Trash, Landscaping and Maintenance of all common areas.
Trust me that's not typical. I've looked at a lot of condos and townhouses when I was searching for a place to buy about 10 years ago. Usually electricity and cable isn't included. Cable's about $50/month and electricity's anywhere from $80 to $150 or more for a 1 bedroom condo.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:57 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I just found a graph that has 1998-2008 averages:

From this website: Oahu Home Sales - By Hawaii's High-Tech Real Estate Agent - Jon S. Mann, REALTOR, LLC

Looks like it's starting to go down again (if it's now $521,500), but still quite high.

One thing about Oahu though, is it seems even if the market goes down on the Mainland, it just means that Asia investors often times get into the market.
That graph seems familiar. I'm lucky I bought my condo when the market almost bottomed out. I've heard that around 1990 the Oahu housing market was experiencing another peak (though prices weren't as high as they are now). This was partially because of Japanese investors scooping up homes in Hawaii. Then the Japanese economy crashed and so did the Hawaii real estate market.

I'm pretty sure we'll never see prices anywhere near what they were in 2000. I think prices will plateau for a while and of course go up in the long run.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I'm pretty sure we'll never see prices anywhere near what they were in 2000. I think prices will plateau for a while and of course go up in the long run.
That's what I'm thinking as well.

I'm thinking they'll be at a plateau, right up until China becomes a major economic player with a high purchasing power. Than it'll be Chinese investors (as opposed to previous Japanese, and previous Mainland with the easy credit investors).

Old 11-15-2011, 02:22 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,787 times
My Hawaiian wife and I live in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon and own a modest but nice 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom, 1,300-square-foot home on a small lot. According to Zillow, it's currently worth about $185K. To buy its equivalent on Oahu, based on my Zillow searches, would cost upwards of $500K. Going by the rule of thumb that you can afford a house that's roughly 3 times your gross family income, that works out to a combined annual salary of about $170K. How many people earn that kind of money in Hawaii? Only a small percentage, I imagine. I've found some houses on line on Oahu in the $400K range, but they're either really tiny, in bad repair, or in areas my wife says we wouldn't want to live. There are some nice condos in the $300K+ range, but once you add in the maintenance fees, they don't seem any cheaper than houses. We'd love to live on Oahu when my wife retires in a few years, but barring a monetary windfall, it looks to be impossible. The Big Island is more realistic financially.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 PM

491 posts, read 1,652,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
My Hawaiian wife and I live in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon and own a modest but nice 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom, 1,300-square-foot home on a small lot. According to Zillow, it's currently worth about $185K. To buy its equivalent on Oahu, based on my Zillow searches, would cost upwards of $500K. Going by the rule of thumb that you can afford a house that's roughly 3 times your gross family income, that works out to a combined annual salary of about $170K. How many people earn that kind of money in Hawaii? Only a small percentage, I imagine. I've found some houses on line on Oahu in the $400K range, but they're either really tiny, in bad repair, or in areas my wife says we wouldn't want to live. There are some nice condos in the $300K+ range, but once you add in the maintenance fees, they don't seem any cheaper than houses. We'd love to live on Oahu when my wife retires in a few years, but barring a monetary windfall, it looks to be impossible. The Big Island is more realistic financially.
A friend bought a 1bdrm condo as a vacation property 3 blocks from Waikiki in 2008 for $300,000. They renovated it and things start to add up when you renovate it the way you want it. Here's a pic I took 3 weeks ago, the view from the living room. I love the area , it's 5-10 min walk to everything in Waikiki.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
Plenty of places in Oahu in the low $300K range comparable to the place you have - for instance, Mililani is a good example.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Plenty of places in Oahu in the low $300K range comparable to the place you have - for instance, Mililani is a good example.
Those are for condos though, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: