Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:27 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,504 times

Advertisements

You should have a much easier time here in Hawaii than I had as a multi-racial woman in Louisiana, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky and in Germany.

If you are fearful and act as if you may be harmed by people then you may mark yourself as a target. I can tell you that my very White husband from Alabama has had a MUCH easier time here in Hawaii than my children and I had on the Mainland- but we have had a VERY fine life together and the Army has always been a wonderful family for us.

This is an adventure for you and I will advise you to live on {Post- this is where we lived until we Retired here and it was simply because the Qtrs were lovely, it was five minutes for my hubby to work and we pocketed the COLA we received and did not have to worry about utilities.

Every new Post takes a while to feel like home but your own furniture (since Transportation will cover the move) will make the Qtrs feel more like your own.

Good luck with the move and remember that adventure is far preferable to dull routine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,091 times
I’m glad you're not as apprehensive about your move to Hawaii. I posted a lot of the negative stuff on a couple of these threads but it primarily dealt with the economic aspects (employment & housing) which won't affect you. Speaking of employment you would have priority for job placement on post if you choose to pursue your career.

As far as my negative comments about racism, I live on the rural island of Kauai so it is for the most part like night and day from Oahu.

As someone else mentioned Schofield Barracks isn't near Honolulu which is positive lifestyle wise. Schofield is up in the mountains not far from the famous North Shore and used to be surrounded by Dole pineapple fields. A short drive out Schofield's back gate and down through beautiful Kole Kole Pass and you're at the ocean enjoying the sun and surf.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 AM

820 posts, read 3,036,916 times
You will probably love it here! As others have mentioned, you will have the military community to provide some support, which is helpful for anyone moving anywhere new.

I too suggest you first live on post. That way you can be close to everything and wait until you become more familiar with the island before making a move to a rental or purchase. The reduced costs of living on post will help you with any financial differences from Indiana to here, and maybe allow you to spend a bit more as you explore the islands and all the great activities.

For example, you are moving over during whale season. You should go on a couple of whale watch trips, and even with any military discount it will help to have extra pocket cash. Don't put it off until next year; it's great fun.

I think you should move over your furniture, if moving costs aren't an issue. But you may not want to go out and buy all new stuff, unless you really know what will fit in your new quarters and what works for in this environment. If you are set on shopping, don't buy a lot of white or light colored fabric furniture, such as sofas, chairs, ottomans. The air here is much cleaner than in many cities, but we do have a lot of red dust from the volcanic rock. That red dust gets into everything, and even when you get used to taking off your shoes inside you will be sad if your new white sofa is quickly soiled.

You might consider loading up your move container with the items that cost a fortune here. For example, ceramic pots are expensive, especially the larger sizes. If you think you'll want to have large pots planted outside, bring them with you.

If you are making some visits over here, and are meeting people that will be your neighbors or friends, you might consider offering to bring something over for them. If you will have room in your container, someone might be thrilled to have you offer to have a box or item loaded on. They could have their purchased shipped to you at your current home, and you would be the hero for shipping it the rest of the way.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:22 AM

155 posts, read 545,019 times
HotHulaMaui wrote, "...as far as the culture, maybe read a few books on the history of the islands. read about the take over by the us government..."

I totally agree. Once you understand the history of the islands, you'll understand why people have the frustration/anger that they do.

Balad wrote, "As a new Army wife I would embrace the Army community and all it has to offer. Being a part of the Army family will make things much easier on you now and during deployments."

I totally agree. You will have a support system here because you'll be with other Army people. Once you get here, you will have resources.

Hot wrote, "If you stay in on base housing, you will meet lots of other folks who are in the same situation you are and have a lot of understanding of how things are for you.

I agree. It's as if you will be moving into a village of people similar to you. I strongly recommend you live on base the first six months. Surround yourself with people similar to you. They will help you transition.

Really important... cut your expenses the first three months you live here. Cut your standard of living. Live like a poor college student. After three months, you'll have a better idea of what things cost, and you can raise your standard of living. If the army will ship your stuff for free, do it!

While it's just you and your husband, move into a one bedroom apartment. Save $$ for a few months. Then, after a few months, you can re-assess and decide what you want to do when the kids arrive.

Hope that helps. -- Lisa ;-)

Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa From Maui View Post
HotHulaMaui wrote, "...as far as the culture, maybe read a few books on the history of the islands. read about the take over by the us government..."

I totally agree. Once you understand the history of the islands, you'll understand why people have the frustration/anger that they do.

Balad wrote, "As a new Army wife I would embrace the Army community and all it has to offer. Being a part of the Army family will make things much easier on you now and during deployments."

I totally agree. You will have a support system here because you'll be with other Army people. Once you get here, you will have resources.

Hot wrote, "If you stay in on base housing, you will meet lots of other folks who are in the same situation you are and have a lot of understanding of how things are for you.

I agree. It's as if you will be moving into a village of people similar to you. I strongly recommend you live on base the first six months. Surround yourself with people similar to you. They will help you transition.

Really important... cut your expenses the first three months you live here. Cut your standard of living. Live like a poor college student. After three months, you'll have a better idea of what things cost, and you can raise your standard of living. If the army will ship your stuff for free, do it!

While it's just you and your husband, move into a one bedroom apartment. Save $$ for a few months. Then, after a few months, you can re-assess and decide what you want to do when the kids arrive.

Hope that helps. -- Lisa ;-)
Good points.

The Army will provide for free a 2 to 4 bedroom semi-detached or detached house depending on family size. As I've mentioned before there is a lot of brand new housing on base.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:43 PM

664 posts, read 1,947,603 times
Keep in mind that you will also get COLA to help with the higher cost of living there. What rank is your husband? There are a lot of nice retals around but I think he should probably be at least an E-7 to afford it. BAH is around $2600 per month for e-7. Also check out www.cinchouse.com
Good luck

Old 12-14-2009, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 19,821 times
I actually just found cinchouse from another post on here. Thanks so much! I'm exploring that website later tonight! My husband is an E-5 right now but when we get to Hawaii will then be an E-6. He is determined that we can save more money by living off post, but I am trying to sway him to on post. I think that especially at first it would be great for us and for me, since I am not fully accustomed to military life. Plus, when the kids do come I will feel much more safe with them running around outside on post rather than off. I didn't know that we would also get COLA. I know that if I get a NAF job that I would get COLA in addition to my pay, but I wasn't sure if he would as well. I am going to try to apply for a job working in a preschool or day care through the NAF job site in hopes of having a leg up on finding a job when we're there. Once again, thanks to everyone for all the great tips and advice! I am really feeling more secure and excited everytime I check this site! And Balad, thanks for the tips on how to easily reach the beach from Schofield. My kids cannot wait to be close to the ocean! My daughter actually wants to go snorkeling! Even though it will be hard for me to be away from my kids for a couple months before they come over, I am feeling better about the decision to keep them here with their dad for school because of what I have read about the Hawaii education system. Plus, if my husband really is going to be deployed every other year perhaps I can come back to Indiana during part of deployment since my parents and family live here. I actually think I'm going to make a great Army wife and can't wait to start our new life together in Hawaii. (Especially since it's so very cold here! LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu