Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:09 PM

8 posts, read 19,816 times

Advertisements

I have been reading some of the advice that has been given in the past to people moving to Oahu. I will be moving there in February because my husband is in the Army. I have been trying to do some research about where to live and what life will be like once we arrive. I am not naive. I do not think life will be paradise. I am an intelligent well-educated person who understands that life in Hawaii is not what you see on movies and television. However, I do hope that life will not be quite so horrible as what I have read. I know crime and poverty exist everywhere; I do not expect anything else. I know that racism and prejudice abound; I can only hope that my Irish heritage and the fact that my husband is military will not keep us from living a happy life for the 5 years we will be living in Oahu. I will say that I have always lived my life in southern Indiana and I know this is going to be a huge difference for me. I am a strong person, however and can survive and thrive. What I am looking for on here is yes, advice.... advice on where we should live, whether we should try to educate ourselves on the culture and if so, how should we go about that? I have worked in Early Childhood Education for years. I am trying to decided whether or not to pursue that same line of work when I arrive in Oahu. I do not want to be worried that we are going to have five years of h*ll while living in Hawaii, but I do want some kind of realistic advice. Any help is appreciated. Btw, we are looking for a 3 BR place...preferably a house or townhome to rent. I do have two children, but at first they will be staying in Indiana for school and only be living with us in the summer. Hopefully after a year or two they will join us in Hawaii. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 07:18 PM

I forgot to mention that my husband will be stationed at Schofield Barracks. Thanks again!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,748 times
Welcome to Hawaii alilscared,

Considering you and your family have the military safety net you will do fine here and probably love your tour of duty here.

I was previously stationed at Schofield Barracks prior to retiring in 2008. Schofield has brand new housing privately constructed and managed for the Army. Of course like most military installations there is a nice PX and Commissary there. Additionally with another 12+- other installations on Oahu there are many other facilities, services and locations to explore. Top that off with military recreational facilities on Oahu, Kauai and the Big Island and you'll have lots to do.

Considering all your military benefits, cost of living won't be that big of factor for you. Also considering you will have the option of living on post there will be less likelihood of any negative contact with the local population. Lastly the military is normally appreciated by most Hawaii residents.

The biggest challenge you will have won't be Hawaii and its people but the Army and your husband's frequent deployments. To my knowledge the 25th Infantry Division there at Schofield will deploy him every other year. Of course that leaves you there to deal with everything and a long way from home. Of course I am sure you and your family are no stranger to the hardships of military life.

Keep yourself busy while stationed here, explore everything there is to see and use all the benefits available to you on all the installations.

Again welcome to Hawaii

Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 PM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
you will do fine. I think you will love hawaii. I live on maui so can't offer any advise for oahu but I think you need not worry. as far as the culture, maybe read a few books on the history of the islands. read about the take over by the us government, that will give you an idea of why there is a push to re instate a hawaiian government. respecting the culture and it's people. education here is not up to the same standards that are on the mainland. I think anything you can do in that areas to better the lives of children here is a wonderful thing. be friendly and open and you will get the same in return. you can have a simple life here although it is expensive it is rich in aloha

Old 12-13-2009, 09:37 PM

Thank you to both of you! Both of your replies have boosted my spirits. This will actually be my first foray into military life as well... my husband and I have just gotten married. We are excited to start our life together. We actually started talking while he was deployed in Iraq, and he has been stationed in Alaska during our "courtship" if you could call it that, so I know we can handle the long distance deployment times.

I have thought about living on post. He wants to live off post but I have been looking at the housing and it looks really nice. So I suppose we will see. I don't know how it will work when we're first there and want to look for somewhere to live.

Do you have any suggestions on whether we should buy furniture here and have it shipped when we move or if we should wait until we get to Oahu? We have most everything, but would like to get a new bedroom set. I was reading that most furniture has to be imported into Hawaii anyway, so would it be smarter to just have the Army move it from here if we buy it before we relocate?

Thanks again!!! I really appreciate the positivity!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,748 times
If your husband is of the rank where the Army will pay for the move by all means buy what you like and have them move it for free. Same for a car; I believe they still only pay for one vehicle.

You and he will have to formulate your own opinion but I believe living off post isn't a good idea in Hawaii. Not from a safety stand point but from an economic and quality of life stand point. Hawaii isn't like most duty stations where the housing allowances gets you a nice place off post and still have money left over. Also you don't want to buy a house ($500K+) and have a hard time selling it when you are reassigned.

As a new Army wife I would embrace the Army community and all it has to offer. Being a part of the Army family will make things much easier on you now and during deployments. Your access to the commissaries and exchanges on the various military installations is priceless here in Hawaii. Unless things have changed the exchange at Pearl Harbor is the largest in the Pacific.

Don’t hesitate to ask any question you might have; you could also post on the military section of this website. Someone currently stationed there might have more current information.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:14 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Military in Hawaii aren't effected by most of the negative things posted here about Oahu. Being a dependent is one of the best ways to live on the island, or at lest one the most affordable.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 AM

91 posts, read 279,188 times
We're here for our second time with the Navy, and I love it, love it, love it. I loved it before and didn't want to leave, but the Navy trumped that. And now we're back, and I'm so grateful to be here.

If you keep an open mind, have a little flexibility, and take the time to enjoy all the Island has to offer, you'll do great!

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
If you stay in on base housing, you will meet lots of other folks who are in the same situation you are and have a lot of understanding of how things are for you. The bases in Hawaii are in many cases nicer than the off base housing and they are certainly cheaper. Schofield is nice, it isn't all crowded in near Honolulu like Pearl is yet it is close enough to get to town when you want to go do things.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:55 AM

You guys have been so great! I am going to forward my husband some info about the on post housing and I already read him much of what has been said here! We appreciate all your help so much! I am looking forward to coming to Hawaii again.... It was questionable after reading some of the advice here and on other sites... so thanks again! And any further info is greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu