Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:19 AM

67 posts, read 257,967 times

Advertisements

Aloha - We are considering a move to Honolulu. We live near Washington DC now and our only child (7 yr old daughter) attends an excellent public school in Northern VA. The move to Honolulu would be this summer. Because I just got the job offer, I have not applied to any private schools for our daughter, and I am sure I've missed all sorts of deadlines for the 2010-2011 school year. I have heard some negative info about public schools in Hawaii.

If we have to send our daughter to public elementary, are there any public elementary schools in Honolulu that are excellent? I looked some up on greatschools.net and there were a few that scored "9" or "10" on their ranking, such as Waikiki Elementary and some others. I know these rankings are not the end all and be all, but since I cannot visit and do not know anyone in Honolulu, I am hoping someone can provide some insight about this. Are these high ranked public schools really excellent? I was thinking of finding the best schools, and then looking for housing within those areas. Yes, we'd be willing to live in a shack/sacrifice space to live in the zone or boundary for an excellent public elementary school (since private is likely out for next year).

Thank you in advance for advice on whether there are any excellent public elementary schools in Honolulu or very close to Honolulu (that's where I will be working).

Last edited by binkybarnes; 01-10-2010 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 12:17 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Is your job offer in writing? Verify that, first. Frequently folks on the mainland get a job offer and when they get here either the job is gone or it isn't anything at all like what they thought it would be.

As for the schools, I doubt you will find one to the level you like. Teach her reading, writing and math, geography, etc., yourself so you know she has learned it and just send her to school for the social aspects of it. She does need to learn to interact with others so the school will be helpful there.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:30 PM

Thanks for your reply. The job offer is from the federal government. I am surprised that no one has responded to say there is at least 1 public elementary that is good in Honolulu. This is a bummer b/c I would really love to move to HI. Unfortunately, I don't feel qualified to teach her all subjects, a few maybe....

Old 01-10-2010, 06:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,461,111 times
Are you aware of all of the furlough controversy? I cannot think of any excellent schools anywhere, but you can find some decent ones. Do a search on the forum, this is a frequently asked question.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,364 times
I believe a private school would best serve your requirements.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,741 times
Yeah, I refrained from replying because you used the word "excellent". I don't think any of the public schools meet that bar, though some are at least trying... major cuts and furloughs along with strong anti-teacher sentiment (because they agreed to the furloughs rather than agreeing to work the same amount for lots less pay) isn't helping anything.

Of the elementary schools I'm familiar with, I guess I'm most impressed with Noelani. But I haven't seen that many of them, to be fair.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 AM

Thank you for your responses. I was not aware of the furlough issue - thanks for mentioning it. Unfortunately, we have missed deadlines for admission to virtually all privates for 2010-2011, so if we move, we have to send our daughter to public, at least for 1 year.

I was thinking of renting a place in the school zone for one of the schools that are "trying," perhaps Noelani? And then supplementing with private tutoring if necessary. Other than Noelani, any others that, even if not "excellent," are considered the best available in/near Honolulu? Looking for options close to the Kuhio Federal Building.

Also, is "Mary Knoll" a reputable private school? That is the one school I have found that has Feb 10 as it's deadline for applying, so we could perhaps try there. We are not Catholic, but the quality of the education is the most important thing for us right now. Thanks again!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,364 times
Here is a link to Honolulu Magazine's web page with articles/ratings on the various schools:

Schools - Hawaii

Old 01-11-2010, 06:03 PM

Could you also please share the name of some reputable private schools? I have heard of Punahou, Iolani, St. Andrews Priory, and Sacred Hearts Academy. Any others you can recommend? Thank you.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:06 PM

55 posts, read 185,938 times
Punahou School I have been told is one of the finest institutions in all of Hawai'i. However, be prepared to pay, and I am told that it is very exclusive in terms of who they let in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu