U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,944,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
To my knowledge the thread you mentioned didn't pertain to Military in paticilar but rather civilians moving to Hawaii.

I was stationed at Schofield Barracks until I retired in 2008 and I had no problems with the locals at all. The locals as a whole respect the military and any problems they have are aimed at civilian newcomers that they see taking their jobs and driving up the cost of living.

Enjoy your tour of duty and make sure you travel to the outer islands and explore.

Good Luck
Absolutely agree!

I cannot say it better, but will add a bit. Please don't worry about it, the military are respected by most.

It probably would be a good idea to let your 17 year old stay and finish school if possible. It's the empty nest syndrome; you should be fine. As far as living on the base, I definately would at first (if you can). You would be able to get your bearings. Rents (for the large part), are astronomical.

I know the thread you speak of was unsettling.

Dump the negative ***** *** ****** and get over here!

I Thank You for your service.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 PM

91 posts, read 260,479 times
We love it here. This is our second sea duty tour on Oahu. We're both East Coasters at heart, but we soak up Hawaii and make the most of it. There are times that it can be hard, but the pros far outweigh the cons for us. Somedays I think I never want to leave, other days I think I just want to have a vacation home here so I can always come back. (Of course, the latter is very unlikely!)

Give it your best shot, make the most of it, and when you have a bad day - remember that it's just temporary!

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:56 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,933,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There is military and there is military, it sounds like you won't have any problems in Hawaii. Frequently, the most interaction many folks have with the military are herds of guys going bar hopping. That isn't generally the best way to make an opinion on folks.

People who live in Hawaii do get weary of having friends and family move away after several years. It seems you no sooner make a good friend then they leave to go to the mainland for whatever reason. After awhile, you try to only become good friends with folks who intend on staying here so you won't be heartbroken all the time. Even if they just move to the next state, it's still 2,500 miles away.

So, as long as you aren't part of the drunk bar hopping herd, folks will be nice to you but because you are "temporary" they aren't likely to make a great effort to become close friends.
Quality post.

I spent 4 years on Oahu (Navy) in the early 90's...and another year in 2004. I've been looking for a way back ever since.

In that time the only problem I ever had to deal with were when my folks were out drinking. The biggest problems were not in the touristy spots like Waikiki and Honolulu...but the more local spots in Pearl City and Waipahu.

Some of it was the sailors fault...some of it wasn't.

If you can simply enjoy the islands for what they are...and not for what they shouldn't, you may just find it to be the paradise that it is.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:50 AM

32 posts, read 138,957 times
I like the comment about not trying to talk in pidgin...correct, you're not a local. Don't pretend you're one.

This is the part that I don't understand (don't live in HI yet, but am headed there). I have lived all over the US and in Europe and Asia. In foreign countries, if I use the language, I am not derided for "trying to be a local". People in most countries actually appreciate that you try. Not that I will be trying pidgin, but I don't like the attitude that it is "my language and don't you dare try speaking it." Also, whenever I move to new places, nobody cares if I am local or not. The common theme on this site is that a newcomer shouldn't try to "act local", but what exactly is "acting local"?? Is this only with respect to the language, or are there other customs which I am not supposed to assimulate?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 AM

67 posts, read 238,999 times
My friend was stationed at Fort Shafter for the past few years. She LOVED it and now wants to retire in Hawaii. I know lots of other military folks who really enjoyed their Hawaii tours.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,635,289 times
I absolutely loved living in Hawaii....as a college student and as an adult.

As a child, it was rough.

My family had the chance to move back last year. We turned it down but only because we still have school-aged kids in our home. If the opportunity comes up again once the kids are all in college, we'll jump on it.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:18 AM

532 posts, read 1,148,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat123 View Post
I like the comment about not trying to talk in pidgin...correct, you're not a local. Don't pretend you're one.

This is the part that I don't understand (don't live in HI yet, but am headed there). I have lived all over the US and in Europe and Asia. In foreign countries, if I use the language, I am not derided for "trying to be a local". People in most countries actually appreciate that you try. Not that I will be trying pidgin, but I don't like the attitude that it is "my language and don't you dare try speaking it." Also, whenever I move to new places, nobody cares if I am local or not. The common theme on this site is that a newcomer shouldn't try to "act local", but what exactly is "acting local"?? Is this only with respect to the language, or are there other customs which I am not supposed to assimulate?
It's difficult to explain without a local perspective. You're point of reference from a European or even Asian persective is different now than it will be once you live there awhile. Once you are exposed to a Polynesian perspective, a tribal perspective, you'll undertand.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,582,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat123 View Post

Like you I have live all over the world and Hawaii is unique when it comes to interacting with the locals.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM

109 posts, read 384,042 times
Quote:

expat123 is so on target....the German people really appreciated us trying to use their language first.

I'll use English and take my shoes off! Anything else?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,582,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDDS View Post
expat123 is so on target....the German people really appreciated us trying to use their language first.

I'll use English and take my shoes off! Anything else?
The biggest thing I've found is to smile, be courteous and respectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or