U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 AM

109 posts, read 383,644 times

Advertisements

I was reading the thread. People here seem determined to portray Hawaii as a terrible place. I was responding when I realized the thread was closed. I was saying in the reply that I was going to STOP reading City-Data/ Hawaii because it was starting to wear me down.

Can someone please tell me about the relationship between Oahu and the military community. Below is a copy of my reply to the thread that was closed. I'm hoping that people can reply here with news of an outstanding tour. I refuse to believe that everyone has a horrible tour of duty.
This thread or forum is beginning to upset me. I’ve always used City.data when making a military move. I love to research the new area and usually use all the helpful information about that city. However, this is the first military assignment in 23 years in which I’m beginning to lose my excitement. I’m beginning to think that there is no love between the military community and Oahu. This thread or forum is beginning to upset me. I’ve always used City.data when making a military move. I love to research the new area and usually use all the helpful information about that city. However, this is the first military assignment in 23 years in which I’m beginning to lose my excitement. I’m beginning to think that there is no love between the military community and Oahu.
With each move I’ve never tried to fit in as a local, I’ve always proceeded with caution and the attitude of blending in. I’ve also acted as a tourist and tried to enjoy what that area had to offer for the limited amount of time, usually two to three years of our tour. Example….one of our best tours was Germany. I tried to communicate with the people in a little bit of German first, once that broke the ice, they really wanted to try to use their English. However, if you spoke English first, they would brush you off.
It seems really sad to think that I will be treated poorly during our assignment. I’m now hoping that we will be able to leave our daughter on the mainland to finish high school. She has begged me not to take her. After reading City.data-Hawaii, I think I’ve made up my mind to leave her behind for three years. I was going to try and find a rental house on the economy and not live on base. This would have stimulated your local economy, but now I will put my name on base housing and pray I get a house.
I’m an upbeat person and don’t like to hang out with negative people. I think I should stop reading your Hawaii forum for a little while so I can arrive at Hickam with a better attitude about our assignment.

Last edited by AFDDS; 01-28-2010 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Text size wrong
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:42 AM

664 posts, read 1,806,057 times
AFDDS,

I think if you have a good attitute you will like it hands down. I have not lived on Oahu, but am a Navy spouse and have done our fair share of moves. One thing you have that a lot of people who don't moving to Hawaii is not only the miltiary paying to ship all your hosuehold goods, a car, and pay for yout travel there, shopping at the commissary but you also will have an "exit strategy" so to speak. You are not moving there to follow a dream etc. but for a miltiary job that will give you a secure income to be able to go out and enjoy Hawaii and in a few years they will pay to moev you and all your stuff back to the US or wherever you are off too. We have one more move before we can retire and are either going to Hawaii or Guam most likely and these boards are informative but take it with a grain of salt. A lot of people move to Hawaii and then are unhappy and lash out to people who post questions. Good luck on your move. When else in life will you get the opeertuniy to have someone pay to move you and all our stuff to Hawaii for a few years? That is the way I look at it. People would kill to have someone pay for them to move to Hawaii so live it up and have a great tour. I can live anywhere for 2-4 years and believe me in our Navy moves we have lived in some pretty crappy places. Good luck on your move!!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:28 PM

10,625 posts, read 20,341,532 times
There is military and there is military, it sounds like you won't have any problems in Hawaii. Frequently, the most interaction many folks have with the military are herds of guys going bar hopping. That isn't generally the best way to make an opinion on folks.

People who live in Hawaii do get weary of having friends and family move away after several years. It seems you no sooner make a good friend then they leave to go to the mainland for whatever reason. After awhile, you try to only become good friends with folks who intend on staying here so you won't be heartbroken all the time. Even if they just move to the next state, it's still 2,500 miles away.

So, as long as you aren't part of the drunk bar hopping herd, folks will be nice to you but because you are "temporary" they aren't likely to make a great effort to become close friends.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,575,216 times
To my knowledge the thread you mentioned didn't pertain to Military in paticilar but rather civilians moving to Hawaii.

I was stationed at Schofield Barracks until I retired in 2008 and I had no problems with the locals at all. The locals as a whole respect the military and any problems they have are aimed at civilian newcomers that they see taking their jobs and driving up the cost of living.

Enjoy your tour of duty and make sure you travel to the outer islands and explore.

Good Luck

Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,551,114 times
I did thirty one years in the Navy, and served in four different tours on Oahu, spanning ten out of those 31.

I liked it so much I now live here half the year, in a house I bought on my second tour.

Of my three children, one was born here, and one now lives on Kauai.

In case you're not sure:

Yes, I liked it.

Hank

Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 PM

1,865 posts, read 3,387,788 times
There has been a very long history of mutual dislike and distrust between Islanders and the Military. When I was growing up I was very carefully kept away and shielded from 'them' and I can see my parents point of view. There have been (and still are) many young men in the Armed Forces who go into town on the weekends and 'raise Hell' and chase young girls (I do say girls because quite often when I was a teenager I had to rebuff the crude advances of young men in the Military. These advances were quite explicit and did not end when I told them I was 15, 16, 17...).

I joined the Army and married a man in the Army and when we returned for a tour of duty in 2000 things had drastically changed. There was a much easier 'air' between Islanders and the Military but there is still resentment when SMs and their families refer to the way things are "back in the States" and when the try to mimic the pigeon accent and make fun of people believing that they are far to stupid to realise that they are the butt of their joke.

My sons were here for middle school and a year of high school- most kids on Post had no idea that they had Hawaiian blood and spoke quite freely about "the local kids" in school. It was enlightening, to say the least and a great deal of the rhetoric was very clearly gleaned from their parents.

When you are off Base then simply show the respect due to any human being and you should have no problems. Are there individuals that are unreasonable and do not hesitate to show their innate ignorance? Yes, just as there are the same counterparts in every corner of the world.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:58 PM

Thank you guys so much....I feel better already. I will be very selective with the posts that I read and take everything with a grain of salt.
Hotzcatz- I know what you mean. People keeping their distance to military folks is everywhere, not just Hawaii. Once your neighbor knows you are military and will be leaving it's tough. However, I do have a very close friend that I made while at a NATO base in Germany ten years ago and she visits me twice a year. No matter where we are posted.
Trust me, I will not be bar hopping. In fact, I'm glad we are leaving my two daughters behind. I will miss them very much. One daughter (22) is staying behind and she works for Hilton and the other daughter (17) wants to finish high school in CA. I think I might be worried about them more with all the bar hopping going on.
Who said....."We're not in Kanas anymore TOTO" I will not say...we did it like this back home.... I will be open minded, courteous to all and travel with a smile. We have always said we can live anywhere for a few years....however, this time will be a first without my daughters. That will be hard!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,583,061 times
Default The Other Side of the Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDDS View Post
. . . This time will be a first without my daughters. That will be hard!
Yes, but it will not be hard to convince them to visit. Nor any of your other friends and relatives. We seem to rarely have our house to ourselves.

Best of luck.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,037,722 times
I did 7 years, two seperate tours. I'd go back tomorrow if I could.

I loved it. Just be respectful and not act like an idiot.

I like the comment about not trying to talk in pidgin...correct, you're not a local. Don't pretend you're one. They don't walk around trying to talk in a Southern or NEw York accent. But you CAN adopt certain local-isms like leaving shoes on the lanai, etc., without looking like a fool.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 PM

Oh, this is good information about leaving the shoes at the door. Anymore local-ism that I should know about?

whynot?- Thank you again....and I hope we do have a full house of visitors. Maui is at the top of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or