Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 AM

Location: of Photo: MCBH Marine Corps Base, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii
16 posts, read 78,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I have RA, SLE,FMS,MFS and my spine has fused so naturally I am in severe pain much of the time. We were posted in KY the last time we were on the mainland and have chosen to Retire here. We live in Ewa Beach because of the drier area; although A Gem Girl is correct regarding the barometric changes I have found it a lot less painful than many places on the mainland.

I would recommend Ewa Beach or Kapolei if you like the island of Oahu- although I adore Kahala/Hawaii Kai(where I was born and raised) it is simply more painful to live on the East side of the Island.

My uncle resides in both Alaska and Hawaii and he lives here for the harshest months precisely because of his OA- he says that it really helps his pain.

I hope that you find the solution to help lessen or erase your pain.
MelanieJ65,

I regret hearing about your multiple arthritis/pain issues yet I am happy to learn you have found a good measure of relief simply by moving to the Ewa Beach area. I too have heard that Ewa Beach is more arid than other areas of the island, as is Hawaii Kai and Makakilo. Please share; where were some of the other places you lived on the Mainland? Sharing your experiences would provide some much needed insight.

My dream situation would be to discover that one of the locations on Oahu, HI would benefit my knee and other conditions. Then I would realize, barring some more complex issues, that the other place would be Alaska - much like your uncle! If you may share, in what city in Alaska does your uncle live?

Happy Healing!

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 03:01 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
Dear Lady Veteran-
I have lived in Alabama, Kentucky, Louisiana, Kansas and Missouri. I have also lived in Frankfurt am Main. My Uncle lives in Skagway. I hope this helps in some way. Melanie

Old 02-03-2010, 07:11 AM

25 posts, read 79,945 times
Thanks, everyone, for weighing in on different areas in Oahu where the weather may play a part in physical effects relating to joint pain. Interesting to our case particularly, because Makakilo and Kailua are the two areas we have targeted - both so different in weather too! We may have a rental situation in Makakilo from a friend's son who is transferring back to the Mainland...but Kailua is our dream town to own in. Decisions, decisions! We do have a doctor recommendation from our local doc - but if anyone would like to PM me regarding rheumo docs or neurologists on Oahu, I would be most grateful.
Mahalo!

Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVeteran View Post
--------------------
Are you speaking of the British Isles when referencing "BI?" I agree with you 100%, go natural as much as possible, and one fundamental issues is chosing the climate and location in which we live. I wish you all the best of improving health.

LadyVeteran
they are referring to the Big Island (island of Hawaii)

Old 02-03-2010, 11:03 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
Lady Veteran-
I also forgot to mention that my husband broke his neck in 1994 and although is neither a quad nor a para he does have severe DJD in C4,5,6 and was in terrible pain in KS, MO and KY and was taking a lot of his RX, but since our PCS and subsequent Retirement here he has not used his RX after the first month.

He still has twinges, and when the barometric pressure changes drastically he will use heat to soothe his neck he does not require an RX!

He remained an AD Army MP for fourteen years after his accident!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:45 PM

11 posts, read 54,280 times
I also have arthritis and am looking at having knee replacement surgery this summer. We live in the Lake Tahoe area, and although my knee bothers me here, it is much more comfortable, for me, here on the Big Island. The cold and snow are much harder for me to deal with as far as aches and pains. I try to swim regularly here, which is also a benefit.
Hope you get some relief.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 PM

mdand3boys,
It sound's like you made the right choice in location to find substantal pain relief. That's encouraging.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM

Talking Minimizing the Impact of Arthritis on Quality of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Dear Lady Veteran-
I have lived in Alabama, Kentucky, Louisiana, Kansas and Missouri. I have also lived in Frankfurt am Main. My Uncle lives in Skagway. I hope this helps in some way. Melanie
Melanie, Yes, thank you for sharing the prior locations as it is helpful to see that most, if not all were areas of high or moderate humidity, other than Frankfurt of course.

Your father is a smart man, living in two beautiful places in order to minimize the impact of artritis on his quality of life. I was in Skagway last summer consider the snowbird approach as an option as well.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Mahalo!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:33 PM

Default The Big Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
they are referring to the Big Island (island of Hawaii)
Mahalo, Ellwood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu