Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 PM

Location: of Photo: MCBH Marine Corps Base, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii
16 posts, read 78,331 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

A little Q&A
Please comment on any or all of the following:

Yes, I have tried searching for already posted conversations on this topic, but not enough feedback in the few threads I found.

As some of the best feedback comes from long-term and lifetime residents, Please describe your experiences over the years dealing with either your arthritis or that of a family member and indicate how much, if at all, the humidity aggravated the condition.

Obviously, the warm and constant climate of Honolulu is helpful. How much does the Oahu humidity and/or "barometric pressure" change, worsen your arthritis? Which communities of Oahu would you recommend, ie. drier than other areas?

Any other insights you might share with a middle-aged disabled veteran just diagnosed with - we'll just simplify and call it arthritis for the point of this post; (bilateral osteoarthritis, chondromalatia patella, chondrocalcinosis, and degenerative joint dysfunction)?

I would re-plant to Hawaii if it is best for my knees to live more comfortably and hopefully avoid the double knee replaceent the VA says is looming.

I digress, but wanted to share that I contacted the Honolulu Habitat for Humanity to volunteer a few years ago even before my knees "collapsed." I can't do much when the knees act up, but I can still paint walls on my good days. I want to contribute to the community, and I know what it's like to be displaced by a disaster. People willing to put out the effort especially, deserve a nice place to live. I love the Native Hawaiin culture as well as Alaska Native Culture. We are "sister states" in so many ways.

Any suggestions as to the best areas in Hawaii, if any, to stay comfortable despite arthritis? The Windward side of Oahu, ie. Kaneohe Bay, is much more humid, so if I lived on Oahu, I would visit but not reside there. I've lived in Hawaii for months at a time, but not when I had this medical condition.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 PM

25 posts, read 79,945 times
I'll try to move this question up too, as I am very curious. My husband has terrible arthritis and rheumo probs, and we are very, very hopeful that our move to Hawaii will be helpful to him, re the changes/lack of drastic changes in barometric pressure. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with their own aches and pains/ joint flare-ups feeling better once in Hawaii?
Thanks!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Don't most people move to the desert southwest (Arizona/New Mexico) for severe arthritis help?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:11 AM

25 posts, read 79,945 times
Actually, changes in barometric pressure - or lack of change, actually - is much more relevant to some types of pains like these than dry weather. Such as, a lot of sufferers can tell when a storm is coming due to the way their bodies start reacting. So, a place with little (drastic) change can be beneficial. And, the desert is highly over-rated, IMHO :-)

Old 02-01-2010, 06:58 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
I have RA, SLE,FMS,MFS and my spine has fused so naturally I am in severe pain much of the time. We were posted in KY the last time we were on the mainland and have chosen to Retire here. We live in Ewa Beach because of the drier area; although A Gem Girl is correct regarding the barometric changes I have found it a lot less painful than many places on the mainland.

I would recommend Ewa Beach or Kapolei if you like the island of Oahu- although I adore Kahala/Hawaii Kai(where I was born and raised) it is simply more painful to live on the East side of the Island.

My uncle resides in both Alaska and Hawaii and he lives here for the harshest months precisely because of his OA- he says that it really helps his pain.

I hope that you find the solution to help lessen or erase your pain.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
I am moving to the BI from Washington state for relief from arthritis. The warm humid climate eases my symptoms. I almost ended up hospitalized from the medication to control the arthritis and I'd prefer a more "natural" remedy. Living in pain takes its toll.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 AM

Default AlohaHuey, Please clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
I am moving to the BI from Washington state for relief from arthritis. The warm humid climate eases my symptoms. I almost ended up hospitalized from the medication to control the arthritis and I'd prefer a more "natural" remedy. Living in pain takes its toll.
--------------------
Are you speaking of the British Isles when referencing "BI?" I agree with you 100%, go natural as much as possible, and one fundamental issues is chosing the climate and location in which we live. I wish you all the best of improving health.

LadyVeteran

Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 AM

Default Hawaii for Arthritis vs Desert Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Don't most people move to the desert southwest (Arizona/New Mexico) for severe arthritis help?
Great point mdand3boys, however the dry desert all too often also implies extreme heat in the summer, ie. 115 degrees in Palm Springs, 120 degrees in Phoenix, 105-110 in Las Vegas, 105 in parts of Texas, and so on.

It's all about balance and also quality of life. If I could find an optimum climate year-round that makes my bones and joints happy, such as on Oahu, well, I'm all in.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:22 AM

Default Honolulu (Waikiki area) Weather Affect on One Individual's Joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Gem Girl View Post
I'll try to move this question up too, as I am very curious. My husband has terrible arthritis and rheumo probs, and we are very, very hopeful that our move to Hawaii will be helpful to him, re the changes/lack of drastic changes in barometric pressure. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with their own aches and pains/ joint flare-ups feeling better once in Hawaii?
Thanks!
Gem Girl,

I regret hearing your DH is suffering from a combination of painful conditions.

I personally know of a friend who has a chronic medical condition of swelling in the joints of his hands and toes. I'll have to find out what this specific condition is. This friend lives in Palm Springs, CA but when he stays in a condo in downtown Honolulu for a few days - it doesn't take long and he says his condition gets painful. I'll ask more details when I get the chance to talk with him and relay the info here.

Please keep us all updated as to how your DH feel's after a few months post-relocationn to Hawaii. We can help each other figure out an answer to this medically-based-house-hunting.

What part of Oahu are you going to target, and are you going to rent or buy? When do you plan your move?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:37 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
LadyVeteran; Yes, the desert SouthWest does get quite hot - but everyone stays indoors! I have spent a lot of time in the Phoenix area over the years in all seasons. Many relatives moved to Scottsdale in the 1970's and 1980's. I have one semi-bad knee and always had its' issues go away when in the SW desert. That being said, I thing the barometric-pressure thing also has some merit. I have not been having any major issues since we moved here last June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu