Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,525 times

Advertisements

Any information I could get from anyone regarding Aiea, HI and the surrounding area would be greatly appreciated. Having never traveled out side the mainland USA (currently living in Florida), I need info regarding housing, shopping, employment, etc. My husband is considering a position with a company in Aiea. What's it like? Moving from mainland USA to HI - what to take, what to leave behind. Cost of living, electricity, water, gas, food, etc. I really appreciate any input from you. KK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 11:42 PM

201 posts, read 823,026 times
Aiea is "okay", but just because your husband is going to work there doesn't mean you have to live there. There are better neighborhoods IMO... it is really what on the mainland would be called a "suburb" of Honolulu, blink and you will miss it. Have you looked toward Mililani for housing?

Old 07-15-2007, 07:47 PM

48 posts, read 354,400 times
Lots of different areas in Aiea. Newer homes ($$$) would be up in Newtown, Waimalu ridge areas. Aiea heights has a lot of older homes but lots of reconstruction projects too. Lower Aiea area (south of the freeway) is mostly a dump with some seedy high-crime areas.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,066 times
Newtown Esates is nice and has a really good community center for kids.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:58 AM

312 posts, read 1,639,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuella View Post
Any information I could get from anyone regarding Aiea, HI and the surrounding area would be greatly appreciated... I need info regarding housing...
Are you looking to rent or buy?

Quote:
Moving from mainland USA to HI - what to take, what to leave behind.
My two cents, only bring clothes and personal items than mean something to you. You could buy alot of decent stuff at "moving sales" of people leaving the islands, that just don't want to pay to ship items, especially furniture.

You should consider bringing your PC too.

Check into the cost of shipping your car(s). If you have two, might be worth it to only bring one and sell the other.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 28,539 times
Quote:
Any information I could get from anyone regarding Aiea, HI and the surrounding area would be greatly appreciated. Having never traveled out side the mainland USA (currently living in Florida), I need info regarding housing, shopping, employment, etc. My husband is considering a position with a company in Aiea. What's it like? Moving from mainland USA to HI - what to take, what to leave behind. Cost of living, electricity, water, gas, food, etc. I really appreciate any input from you. KK
Housing is very very high but Florida is high too so you might not be as shocked. Look for the Mid Week fliers for grocery shopping sales & join CostCo or Sam's or both. Ths Sunday Honolulu Advertiser is great, read it and for now check it out on their .com. Go to mapquest.com for lowest gas prices in your area. Oriental food is everywhere especially in Waikiki & Honolulu so be ready. There are mainland chains, you just have to search and ask for them, Aiea has plenty of mainland foods. Electricity can range $50 - $150 for two people, just depends. Buy a good "spiral" map book of O'ahu to get around, you may still get lost but the book will still help. Aiea has the 2nd largest mall on the island, Pearl Harbor is great and we are the center of the island, great location.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by Nulocal; 08-23-2007 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: Gas prices right now are $2.93 - $3.12 8/23/07

Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 PM

79 posts, read 370,088 times
Aiea and Pearl City are probably some of the most down-to-earth parts of Oahu.. I've never been to the other islands but lived in Hawaii Kai most of my life in HI and when I went back for my first year of college, I lived in various places including Manoa (by UH) and Pearl City.. I found Pearl City folk to be FAR less materialistic and far less pretentious than Hawaii Kai. Plus Pearl Ridge mall was a great hang out back then..

Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Quote:
Tuella, there is so much information in this forum that will help you. Please read EVERY thread that talks about "moving to .........", or "thinking about ........" or ...........

There have been dozens of them over the past several months. They are really worth your time.

Hank

Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 8,166 times
i am researching moving to hawaii... in the next 2 months. I am a single mother with a child entering kindergarten. I have lived Los Angeles for 10yrs and now live in the very cold midwest. I have worked as an independent graphic designer/project manager for the past 11yrs. What is the job outlook and need in HI for my skills. Or is it possible to land a job that pays $50k-$60k. Also is it possible to find an apartment in a good neighborhood w/ good schools for $1000 a mo.? Any suggestions will help. Thx in advance.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:41 AM

236 posts, read 648,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebound View Post
i am researching moving to hawaii... in the next 2 months. I am a single mother with a child entering kindergarten. I have lived Los Angeles for 10yrs and now live in the very cold midwest. I have worked as an independent graphic designer/project manager for the past 11yrs. What is the job outlook and need in HI for my skills. Or is it possible to land a job that pays $50k-$60k. Also is it possible to find an apartment in a good neighborhood w/ good schools for $1000 a mo.? Any suggestions will help. Thx in advance.

You should probably start a new thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu