Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:14 PM

141 posts, read 543,179 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are taking our honeymoon to Hawaii next week. We will be in Maui most of the time, but will have a full day to spend in Honolulu before we fly back that evening. What do you reccomend are the "must see's" or "must-do's" for 1 day in Oahu?

I saw a tour that hits up the Dole Plantation and then the North Shore. Anyone know anything about this type of tour? Would you suggest something else instead? What about Circle Island? Is that worth spending the day at? Any advice would be much appreciated! THanks for your help! and we can rent a car if we need to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 05:29 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,445,822 times
I would say rent a car and do it yourself. Drive up to Haleiwa/North Shore (you can stop by Dole Plantation on your way, but I don't think I would) and then drive all the way around Kaneohe, back to Honolulu (basically the circle tour). You can plan various stops on your way.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,013,163 times
To give you the best advice we'll need to know what time you arrive in HNL and when you depart.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:26 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,460,727 times
Lay on the beach and just chill!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:09 PM

682 posts, read 2,785,163 times
I would definitely not go to Dole Plantation with one day here. (It took me nearly two years to get around to it, and I don't think I was missing anything.)

You could rent a car and circle the island, stopping at various sights: drive east on H1. Stop in Waikiki if you want. Drive through Hawaii Kai, and stop at some of the lookouts along the way. Get to Kailua, and stop to see the beach there or in Lani Kai. Drive up to the Pali lookout. Then head up to the North Shore.

The whole thing can be done in a few hours or a whole day, depending on how long you make each stop.

Alternately, you could do some of the "cultural" stuff if you like that: the Bishop museum is great, or Iolani palace or the Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor. Those would be very different from what you will probably do on Maui.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,572,847 times
My vote is to go to Dukes and drink the day away but Iʻm not on my Honeymoon so go see some sights !

Congrats on Married life

Old 05-11-2010, 02:39 AM

1,689 posts, read 4,284,627 times
So you will spending the last day of your vacation on Oahu. Remember vacations can be stressful and you'll probably be tired so I wouldn't recommend renting a car (pick up and then drop off and then getting lost and the traffic ewwww).

Dole - North Shore Tour is a huge snore............Maybe if you were on your second week. What happens with that is you spend the day in a bus.

If you're culturally curious do an Iolani Palace - Bishop Museum tours...more snoring

Then if you're into snorkeling there is Hanauma Bay; a must do for snorkelers. Hanauma Bay Park, Oahu It's best to do a day tour IMO.

What I would do if I was on my Honeymoon for one day on Oahu is spend the day in famous Waikiki. Everything is in walking distance and so many things to do. There are also many shuttles to the airport going out all the time so you're guaranteed that ride to the airport (or taxi). I wouldn't to a circle tour (more bus; more rushing around).

You got all kinds of restaurants, shops, the zoo, the International Marketplace, the aquarium (boring), beach bars, the beach and the people. It's probably the most famous place in the state of Hawaii to sit on the beach and people watch. Take a surfing lesson, sail, canoe, sun bath,

Relax; ponder Diamond Head and maybe there could be a beach concert gong on somewhere as it often happens. Then many times the people get together for day jams.

The one thing you don't want to do is stretch yourself out thin and be beating the clock all day because the time will fly.

Congratulations on your marriage

Last edited by tyvin; 05-11-2010 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: add about circle tour

Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 PM

Default thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
To give you the best advice we'll need to know what time you arrive in HNL and when you depart.
Thank you to EVERYONE for all your advice. You gave me some great suggestions!

If it helps any more- We take one of the first flights from Maui on that morning so we land in Honolulu around 8am, then our flight back home leaves Honolulu at 8:30 pm. We'll have all that time inbetween to explore the island.

Also, this is very random, but does anyone happen to know if there are lockers in the honolulu airport that we could lock our stuff up in for the day if we don't rent a car?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Default Maui- 4 days...

SO EXCITED...will be in Maui for our honeymoon in 3 days! Haven't made any plans yet though besdies the hotel and car rental!
We will be staying at the Westin. Anyone suggest any "must see's" or "must do's" while there? Especially hikes or tours we are interested in!
Also, restaurants not to miss... we'll have a rental car.

Thanks! We can't wait!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 AM

1,689 posts, read 4,284,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2ky View Post
Thank you to EVERYONE for all your advice. You gave me some great suggestions!

If it helps any more- We take one of the first flights from Maui on that morning so we land in Honolulu around 8am, then our flight back home leaves Honolulu at 8:30 pm. We'll have all that time inbetween to explore the island.

Also, this is very random, but does anyone happen to know if there are lockers in the honolulu airport that we could lock our stuff up in for the day if we don't rent a car?
Last I heard there are no longer lockers at the airport since 9/11.

Google it, talk to the airline and the hotel.

I don't know anything about Maui.

You guys want to be able to go around without carrying all your stuff around right? So......there's got to be something as I would think this service is highly requested just for the reason that hundreds of people do the day thing before taking off.

Good-luck to you and your future wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu