U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 AM

230 posts, read 484,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They're not unemployed. They're retired. Do you not know the difference?
....wow....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 PM

7,201 posts, read 12,596,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koczki View Post
Where is the nice place outside community?,We like move to Florida next year but not decided yet WHERE ?,Any advice will be appreciated,thanks,W&A.
I don't know the names of these communities since we were only there for a few days. My SIL took us around to sight-see the areas outside the gated communities.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdyingfast View Post
Visiting is great. Try living here. I do and it stinks. Get off I-75 at SR 484 and head east to 441 then on to LakeCo.....you will count no less than a dozen cardboard holders of "help, homeless, or need food" signs (very sad) and 50 empty business spaces. 12-15% unemployment, house prices falling still, crime is on the rise, bottom 10% schools in US, hottest part of FL (because it's inland), no fresh seafood, roads are terrible. Remember, you can paint a turd gold, but it is still a turd.
Let us know when you find the Garden of Eden.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The hurricanes still go through central Florida. An entire street in the Villages had to be completely rebuilt, several people in the Villages were made homeless due to the damage, and the area had no power for a week.
Hurricane? Try tornado.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:13 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,968,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berylann View Post
Hurricane? Try tornado.
Um, yeah, hurricanes. I was here....they werent tornadoes.
2004 Atlantic hurricane season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-04-2010, 02:20 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,389,971 times
Seems like a lot of cranky posts here. Must get tiresome defending The Villages all the time. For a true look at crime, costs, etc., google Talk Of The Villages and get a real perspective of what it's like to live there. I spent a day and a half on TOTV and decided it wasn't what we were looking for.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:28 PM

14 posts, read 43,719 times
I have to totally disagree with those posts that say the Villages has crime, and that there is poverty and joblessness around. This IS Florida and the state does have a high unemployment rate. However, Lake County, where most of The Villages reside, does not have the highest unemployment rate in the state. This is besides the point; poverty and joblessness does not equal crimes.

The question is whether there is crimes here or not. I registered with SpotCrime - Know Your Neighborhood because my daughter was looking for a home in this general area. Every time she liked a home, I would put that address on spotcrime, and asked to be notified of crimes within 1 mile of that home. The homes in Inverness, and Belleview, all some miles from the Villages, all got updates, some of them almost daily. However, when I posted a house in Lady Lake, I have not received one notification, though it has been 2 weeks.

Yes, there are crimes, mostly minor burglary, from what I understand, but major crimes are few and far between. I've lived here 8 years and the only two I can think of is the little boy who disappeared and the mother committed suicide after appearing on the Nancy Grace Show, and another where the friends/acquaintences of a lady who had been living with her parents, came to the parents' home and killed the mother and forced the daughter to withdraw huge amounts of money from the ATM. Things like this can unfortunately happen anywhere.

Though growth has decreased somewhat in the last two years, The Villages itself has been pretty much protected from the economic upheaval we have had. Stores have been continuously being built. Sweet Tomatoes has recently started construction to come to this area also. Yes, there have been some store closures, some due to the national closure of those stores, and others because smaller businesses have not made it. This may be due to the high prices the Villages charges businesses for renting at their malls, or poor marketing strategies by the business. I don't know. But it does not happen very often. Businesses owners that are flexible, and take into account that profits here fluctuate due to the flow in and out of the snowbirds, do survive.

Poor, around here, does not equate crimes. I know of quite a few lovely neighborhoods with $300,000+ homes where one must pass mobile home neighborhoods in order to get there. My neighborhood is like that (and, no, it's not in The Villages). However, I go do my daily walks at 5:00 in the morning without fear. And, yes, I am a female.

Last, yes, we did have a tornado hit around here. and, yes, a whole neighborhood of homes in the Villages had some damage, mostly roof damage from what I understand. Lady Lake itself had mobile homes demolished, a church destroyed, people lives lost. This is an act of nature and can happen anywhere. The surrounding community came together as good communities do in a time of need. Homes were rebuilt, new homes were found for the people left without homes, the Church was rebuilt. If anything, how that disaster was addressed should show others that this is a good community in which to live.

I sit here and wonder why I would defend this community from people who have maligned it. Aftr all, if everyone were to find this place to be paradise, like I do, they'd want to stay. And then traffic would get really bad. Still, I think there is room for a few more good families to come here. My parents love living at the Villages. At the age of 82, they're very active and appreciate how safe they feel. My daughter, who dislikes Florida, but loves where we live, has decided to stay here and raise our grand-daughter. She appreciates all this area has to offer, part of it being the small-town feeling, with all that goes with that, and still having the stores to shop and the good places to eat. I am glad that in the last few years more young families have also found this to be a good place to raise their children because, otherwise, my daughter might have decided to move elsewhere.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 7,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~|~ View Post
Is there any crime to speak of in The Villages and what is it like if you venture outside The Villages?
Don't scare this woman you guys...crime is all over...probably not as bad in the Villages...come on down..its. nice here!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,549,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesLadyLake View Post
Yes, there are crimes, mostly minor burglary, from what I understand, but major crimes are few and far between. I've lived here 8 years and the only two I can think of is the little boy who disappeared and the mother committed suicide after appearing on the Nancy Grace Show, and another where the friends/acquaintences of a lady who had been living with her parents, came to the parents' home and killed the mother and forced the daughter to withdraw huge amounts of money from the ATM. Things like this can unfortunately happen anywhere.
There was a murder case in the Villages (not outside of it, like the Trenton Duckett thing) not very long ago, I'm not sure if it's the second case you're talking about or not.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:48 PM

7,201 posts, read 12,596,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdyingfast View Post
Visiting is great. Try living here. I do and it stinks. Get off I-75 at SR 484 and head east to 441 then on to LakeCo.....you will count no less than a dozen cardboard holders of "help, homeless, or need food" signs (very sad) and 50 empty business spaces. 12-15% unemployment, house prices falling still, crime is on the rise, bottom 10% schools in US, hottest part of FL (because it's inland), no fresh seafood, roads are terrible. Remember, you can paint a turd gold, but it is still a turd.
Good grief!!!! It looked so nice where we were. You must be out in the boondocks somewhere. We were riding around the areas outside The Villages. Only one area we went through looked "poor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala