Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

We had 4 come through in an 8 week period in 04.
The damage was terrible, power, phone and cell towers down for days.
I saw blue tarps on houses for months and months.
Couldnt get ice, h2o was scarce, as was gasoline.
Some friends in the Midwest tried to get us a generator, they were going to drive it down, there were none to be had anywhere there.
Moral of this story? Be prepared for hurricane season.
We thought we were, but not for 4 of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:03 PM

16 posts, read 124,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The hurricanes still go through central Florida. An entire street in the Villages had to be completely rebuilt, several people in the Villages were made homeless due to the damage, and the area had no power for a week.
What you say is correct, but it was a tornado that hit The Villages in the early 2000's. Remember people, "never say never". Hurricanes and tornadoes do hit and create damage because Mother Nature is changing her tune daily.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iszykat View Post
What you say is correct, but it was a tornado that hit The Villages in the early 2000's. Remember people, "never say never". Hurricanes and tornadoes do hit and create damage because Mother Nature is changing her tune daily.
Now that you mention it, it was a tornado.....
I had a client a couple of streets over, remember seeing the damage.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 AM

12 posts, read 45,363 times
Wink F l o r i d a ??????????????????????????

Is Florida the best sunshine place to retired?
------------------------------------------------------
We thinking retired in Florida next year.The "communities blogs" are very confusing by house price,amenities and beautiful pictures of smiling ,happy peoples..We're not a golfer and sport fun, but educated inteligent peaceful couple emigrated from Eastern Europe.Any real advice?Thans very much,W&A.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:02 AM

12 posts, read 45,363 times
Wink where????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
We saw some nice areas outside The Villages. It was country like and very homey. I don't know about crime in those pretty areas but they were charming. If we do decide on the Ocala area, that's where we'd look for a home, not in the gated communities.
Where is the nice place outside community?,We like move to Florida next year but not decided yet WHERE ?,Any advice will be appreciated,thanks,W&A.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:51 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
I'm not that familiar w/ FL but not long ago we visited it and liked it. No place is perfect - some areas in the US have higher prices, some have higher taxes, some are too hot, some are too cold, some too congested, some too far away from hospitals/medical facilities, some too far away from stores. I guess you have to 'pick your poison', what you can tolerate. While we've never lived in a gated community, I'm kind of thinking they're a good idea overall b/c they can be a little safer and it's good to have *some* rules and regulations (not an overabundance), again it all depends on the community. Sometimes the HOA fees include cable tv, painting, powerwashing etc - other times it doesn't...

I read a prior post of yours, koczki, and you mentioned you were going to visit Summer Glen and The Villages (and some other places). How did you like them?, what did you think? we visited The Villages a while back and really liked it, the homes were very nice although very close together - tons of activities so if you're not golfers or sports fans, you certainly have a ton of other activities to participate in (or not). It's a great way to meet people and the activity centers and pools we saw were great, we liked the idea of the free entertainment on the squares at nite too.

If we had more time (and $$!), we w/h stayed a bit longer and looked at other communities. We looked a bit on the east coast of FL too, might have looked at the west coast but we really didnt want to go further south than the Ocala area - and even then, we'd want to stay away from being too close to the coast b/c of hurricanes etc.

Anyway, curious what you thought of The Villages and Summer Glen and if you got a chance to visit Stone Creek and/or others. Not sure where you live but are you considering other states or mainly FL?

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 08-08-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 07:01 AM

49 posts, read 144,158 times
Run. Try TN or the Carolinas. Too many negatives in FL. High unemployment, crime, disease, corruption. Spend you hard earned money wisely, you deserve better. Don't let the people on here talk you into a bad decision because they are only trying to justify their's and it's too late for them. Do some searching on the internet people:

RETIRE TO THE BEDROOM - NYPOST.com

Property Owners Association of Florida

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

(crime is 6 out of 10, 1 being low.....unemployment high)

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 04:56 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 05:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Um, unemployment isn't really an issue when you're looking to move into a RETIREMENT village, which is what the Villages are. And considering that the minimum age to move into this place is 55 and they don't have low-income housing and people who live here can actually afford to do so, I'm guessing you won't find too many murders or stabbings or muggings. In fact it'd be my guess that if most of these folks tried to mug you, they'd end up breaking their own hip.

I really wouldn't worry too much about crime in the Villages. And I heard the condom company sent an extra few boxes 7 years ago when those cases of STDs broke out. Horny ole geezers, heh. Gotta love active retirees.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:19 PM

230 posts, read 552,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Um, unemployment isn't really an issue when you're looking to move into a RETIREMENT village, which is what the Villages are. And considering that the minimum age to move into this place is 55 and they don't have low-income housing and people who live here can actually afford to do so, I'm guessing you won't find too many murders or stabbings or muggings. In fact it'd be my guess that if most of these folks tried to mug you, they'd end up breaking their own hip.

I really wouldn't worry too much about crime in the Villages. And I heard the condom company sent an extra few boxes 7 years ago when those cases of STDs broke out. Horny ole geezers, heh. Gotta love active retirees.
..... So you don't see a connection between the unemployment % and crime?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
They're not unemployed. They're retired. Do you not know the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala