U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
~|~ ~|~ started this thread

29 posts, read 29,098 times

Advertisements

Is there any crime to speak of in The Villages and what is it like if you venture outside The Villages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:51 PM

4,157 posts, read 13,839,600 times
While gated, no place is crime free, check out the local paper, The Villages Daily Sun (google the name to be sure). There's not a lot of attractions in the area outside The Villages.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:32 PM

7,201 posts, read 12,586,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~|~ View Post
Is there any crime to speak of in The Villages and what is it like if you venture outside The Villages?
We saw some nice areas outside The Villages. It was country like and very homey. I don't know about crime in those pretty areas but they were charming. If we do decide on the Ocala area, that's where we'd look for a home, not in the gated communities.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 AM

49 posts, read 130,520 times
It's a nice place, but DO NOT leave into the ajoining areas as poverty and joblessness is vast and the general lay of the land is nasty. The county in which it lies has a biased gov't and has let the roads and ordinances suffer as they only focus on the money machine that is the development. ex: I saw a motorist (senior) the other day stuck in a giant pothole on a nearby road coming to and from. The roads outside are horrible and crumbling. When you are in the stores and squares, people seem frantic and unhappy. Don't look at their local paper for alot of "bones" news as it i overly biased to the "all that is bright and shiny only" side of things. They seem to not publish any real world news especially if it doesn't promote someone buying there (just check the other local papers). Senior attempted suicide rate is high (insider info) and you won't ever hear that because they own their hospital. Florida is dying slowly (some say quickly), and there are other nicer places to seek out for the money. I am moving soon myself. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 AM

13,253 posts, read 38,249,188 times
I was at the Villages less than a year ago visiting friends. My host took me on a drive outside the Villages to see the area surrounding it. We went through some beautiful horse country on one side, and some older areas that were not -quite- rural, but not developed suburbs either. They seemed to be uniquely Floridian. Homes that looked like they'd been built before the 1950's, but not historical by any stretch of the imagination. With car ports, kept up fairly well but definitely not professionally landscaped. The lots seemed to average around a half acre and there were storage sheds in the back yards, and little or no fencing. It seemed like a sleepy slow-paced area where neighbors know each other and have lived there for generations.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM

49 posts, read 130,520 times
Visiting is great. Try living here. I do and it stinks. Get off I-75 at SR 484 and head east to 441 then on to LakeCo.....you will count no less than a dozen cardboard holders of "help, homeless, or need food" signs (very sad) and 50 empty business spaces. 12-15% unemployment, house prices falling still, crime is on the rise, bottom 10% schools in US, hottest part of FL (because it's inland), no fresh seafood, roads are terrible. Remember, you can paint a turd gold, but it is still a turd.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,548,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdyingfast View Post
Visiting is great. Try living here. I do and it stinks. Get off I-75 at SR 484 and head east to 441 then on to LakeCo.....you will count no less than a dozen cardboard holders of "help, homeless, or need food" signs (very sad) and 50 empty business spaces. 12-15% unemployment, house prices falling still, crime is on the rise, bottom 10% schools in US, hottest part of FL (because it's inland), no fresh seafood, roads are terrible. Remember, you can paint a turd gold, but it is still a turd.
I don't know what you're talking about with the "no fresh seafood" bit. I live fifteen miles from The Villages, in Silver Springs. We get fresh seafood all the time.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,951,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdyingfast View Post
You must have not looked very well.
Rustys in Belleview is great, its less than 10 miles away.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:03 PM

140 posts, read 674,469 times
Default Crime in and around The Villages

Some of what is said above is true, but you'll find it true where ever you go in Floria. True, there are a lot of empty storefronts, created during the housing boom 5 or 6 years ago. But, on the main road bisecting The Villages, you'll find new shopping mall after new shopping mall. Resturants all over the place. Big box stores aplenty. Physician clinics of all specialities lining the main highway, as well as hospitals. If there is money to be made from the residents of the Villages, then there is a store, or service agency, willing to cater to your needs and take your money.

It's true about the down and out people begging for money, or work, but this is not confined to The Villages...they are there because of the heavy traffic and the folks who are generous enought to help them with money.

Go iinto the countryside and you'll find all sorts of housing, from the run-down to the ultra expensive, horse ranches. Some the roads are stunningly beautiful; other not so. But, again, this is nothing different than the rest of Central Florida.

Regarding the heat, well, it's Florida. Hot, humid, but at least it's sunny nearly everyday, no snow, no ice, and no hurricances as they lose their strength as they travel over land to the central portion of the state.

Oh, the crime...nothing mor than Ocala, Gainesville, and some of the other smaller cities. Travel south to Miami, Tampa, or Orlando, and the crime shyrockets. But at least in The Villages, neighbors look out for each other and you'll be safer there than in the bigger cities.

Lastly, the traffic and wait times is restaurants. Traffic gets really heavy when the snowbirds return. And, these same people crowd our restaurants and make for long waits for tables in big name restaurants.

Hope this helps...really, it's a nice place to live, safe, friendly neighbors and lots to do.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 AM

13,253 posts, read 38,249,188 times
The hurricanes still go through central Florida. An entire street in the Villages had to be completely rebuilt, several people in the Villages were made homeless due to the damage, and the area had no power for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala