U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,487 times

Advertisements

How would people feel about an airline in ocala instead of driving to orlando or gainesville where most fares are $400
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:33 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,985,902 times
meh, I can fly Southwest cheaply, and take more luggage, thats not gonna happen in Ocala.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:12 PM

140 posts, read 674,849 times
Default regional airlines for Ocala airport

Dream on. For a current regional airline to establish themselves in Ocala airport would require committment of several hundred passengers a week both flying out of and into Ocala Regional Airport. Plus, they'd have to have commitmemts for leasing space; staffing; use of facilities; establish connections to a major airline hub; FAA approval and oversight; on and on and on. Truly, not a small undertaking including time, equipment, staffing, finances, support of a major airline carrier and the FAA. And, least of all, ticket prices from such a small airport connecting to a major airline hub would be just astronomical in price...no one would pay such ticket prices as it would take to support such an undertaking. It's just not going to happen.

People from Central Florida use Orlando or Tampa; few use Gainesville other other than students, faculty and staff of U of F, and patients of Gainesville hospitals, who may have little choice other than flying out of Jacksonville.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:22 PM

228 posts, read 819,954 times
And who wants to come to Ocala??? I agree, prices for coming here would be very high and you would still have to get connecting flights to Orlando or Tampa. I dont see it happening!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 AM

4,065 posts, read 6,808,492 times
Keep in mind that Ocala now has a multi-story control tower since last summer. My understanding is that they are actively seeking commuter service, not likely to get major carrier traffic yet. Ocala does have incoming charter jet traffic (mostly during the major horse auctions). I have seen L-1011 and DC-10 airplanes land in Ocala prior to the tower being built. I think it has a tremendous potential to provide service to fill the gap between Gainesville and Orlando. We will have to wait and see.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:25 PM

66 posts, read 123,409 times
Yeah, it has a multi-story control tower that cost multi-millions, but no radar!! Whose bright idea that was I have no idea.

Big airlines aren't going to fly into rinky-dink airports without radar.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:16 PM

4,065 posts, read 6,808,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltie166 View Post
Yeah, it has a multi-story control tower that cost multi-millions, but no radar!! Whose bright idea that was I have no idea.

Big airlines aren't going to fly into rinky-dink airports without radar.
Agreed they aren't ready for prime time yet, but commuter planes are a possibility. Where there is an airport tower, radar is sure to come, just don't know when.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,487 times
I think we need something here think for example allegiant airlines they manage to fly into small airports in the middle of nowhere and still offer super low fares

Old 07-09-2010, 10:50 AM

23,417 posts, read 32,985,902 times
Saw this article in the Ocala paper this morning......
http://www.ocala.com/article/2010070...09733/0/news01

Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 AM

230 posts, read 484,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalalw View Post
I think we need something here think for example allegiant airlines they manage to fly into small airports in the middle of nowhere and still offer super low fares
They're cheap but they certainly aren't as cheap as they advertise. They "fee" the **** out of you. Granted, it still ends up being cheaper and yes they do fly into some convenient places such as spartanburg sc but the idea that ocala could make a worthwhile pitch to any airline..... Don't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala