U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,709 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Ocala this month, and thinking about purchasing a house. Don't know much about this town. I appreciate if you could give me some advice. I am looking for a quiet, safe place, hopefully some other young folks to hang out.How is Woodland Estate? Buffington Estate? Quail Hollow?

*Which neighborhood would you want to live, if you are a single female in her late 20s?
*How is Woodland Estate? Buffington Estate? Quail Hollow?
*How much do you pay for utilities, let's say for a 2000 sqft home in city limits?
*How much does it cost to maintain a pool in your yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,549,168 times
I don't know about the places you're talking about, nor how much to maintain a pool, however...

1. There is not much for young people to do around here unless you either like country music or rap.

2. Utilities in Ocala are insane, it's the city council's money machine.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:08 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,965,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
I don't know about the places you're talking about, nor how much to maintain a pool, however...

1. There is not much for young people to do around here unless you either like country music or rap.

2. Utilities in Ocala are insane, it's the city council's money machine.
I know where all those subdivisions are, Buffington Estates is outside the city limits, the others are within.
They are all very average cookie-cutter, middle class, middle aged subdivisions, nothing special about any of them.
Everything emi_ says is true......Ocala Utilities are the highest in the state.
About the pool, its very common for people that have them to have a service come take care of it. Scads of them here.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 PM

140 posts, read 674,625 times
Default Moving to Ocala...house hunting

We recently relocated to Ocala to get away from New York State's miserable weather and taxes. Not knowing much about the area, we contacted an experienced Realtor to not only find us a temporary rental(at a reasonable price and in a safe neighborhood) but to guide us into a neighborhood that met our multiple( and fussy) critieria. We were offered expert guidance; shown a wide variety of neighborhoods that met our critieria; and he did his research at night and then was prepared the next day to show us neighborhoods and houses that were appropriate to our needs and wishes. Through his expert guidance, we decided to build a house in a new community here in Ocala, and could not be happier with not only our Realtor, but his guidance throughout the process and the end result.

There are many, many communities here. Home Owner Association fees range all over the place and each includes a variety of services and amenities. Neighborhoods are all different, and cater to a variety of residents, age-ranges, amenities, on and on. If you try to go it without a Realtor, you are going to miss appropriate neighborhoods and may make a decision, not easily changed, that you may be unhappy with.

Utilites are expensive no matter how frugal you may be. Operating a swimming pool is going to be really expensive, and time-consuming...I'd think twice and then again, before aking for a pool for your house.

You will also need to factor in the cost of water to irrigate your lawn which needs to be done at least twice a week. Will also need to factor in cost of running air-conditioning at least 8 months of the year. And, then, groceries tend to be very expensive, especiallly fruit, which needs to be trucked into the state. Buing furniture is also a hassle and unless you can buy off the showroom floor, expect to wait several weeks, or months, for furniture.

Ocala is nice, but I don't think I'd move here as a young person unless I was in a medical field which has an abundance of jobs.

Hope this helps. I'm not a Realtor, but find a good one, establish a rapport, and be quite specific as to you housing needs.

Good luck to you in your search.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,329 times
I've got a 12 X32 fiberglass pool with salt system (on well water). The cost has been negligible. I've been in Ocala 5 years. Added the pool.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:17 PM

371 posts, read 860,553 times
why did Ocala's real estate dropped so much? it is still continuing to drop I believe

Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,549,168 times
Probably has something to do with the fact that the housing was overpriced for a shoddy job and the developers built way more houses than were being bought. Oh, and then there's the people who lost their jobs and got foreclosed on, or got the hell out of town to stay employed.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
why did Ocala's real estate dropped so much? it is still continuing to drop I believe
The builders overbuilt.....the whole economy was based on real estate and construction.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM

4,036 posts, read 6,791,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The builders overbuilt.....the whole economy was based on real estate and construction.
Absolutely correct !! Ocala is certainly not the only market that this occurred in, but it hit here much harder than a lot of other markets.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Absolutely correct !! Ocala is certainly not the only market that this occurred in, but it hit here much harder than a lot of other markets.
Aint that the truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or