Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:54 PM

183 posts, read 1,133,539 times

Advertisements

I am moving on July 6th from NJ to Ocala, and my horse is being shipped down the following week. We are going to be living on a very large horse farm where we are renting a home in Ocala, it's called Canterbury Tails Farm. My horse will be arriving through Lorraine Horse Transport. I just wanted to check and see if anyone on here had horses or had used this company before. I have heard good things about them, so that helps. I'm just scared because it's such a long trip for him! But I know he'll be happy when he gets here and sees his giant turn-out field, and when we can hit the trails! I' can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 02:40 PM

165 posts, read 656,897 times
I'm sure he will be fine. Enjoy your new area you two our gonna have a lot of fun. It's a really nice area Ocala.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:47 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Are they planning a layover? I have shipped horses that far in a day trip many times. It is kind of hot, but at least it is hot the whole way. Worse for me is when it is cold where they get loaded and hot where they are going or vice versa.

I am not familiar with that particular shipper.

Ask your vet if he/she thinks it would be a good idea to give your horse a long lasting antibiotic before the trip. I have done this many times to avoid Shipping Fever. Works most of the time.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:50 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
Don't worry, I am sure he will be fine as long as he doesn't have any pre-existing respiratory disease.
Make sure he is up to date on his shots, and give them well in advance of the trip.
Even in a healthy animal there is always the risk of the horse contracting shipping fever. When he arrives make sure you take his temperature twice a day for three days. The normal temp of an adult horse should be in the range of 99.5-100.5
Make sure his legs are well wrapped for protection and support.

I have hauled horses long journeys and have always been very watchful of this very serious illness.
Also watch for any depression, loss of appetite.

If you have the option of having him rear facing I would take it, it is less stressful for the horse and gives them better balance.

Best of luck, it sounds lovely where you are headed.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:39 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
wow, how cool to own a horse! I'm sure everything will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
Don't worry, I am sure he will be fine as long as he doesn't have any pre-existing respiratory disease.
Make sure he is up to date on his shots, and give them well in advance of the trip.
Even in a healthy animal there is always the risk of the horse contracting shipping fever. When he arrives make sure you take his temperature twice a day for three days. The normal temp of an adult horse should be in the range of 99.5-100.5
Make sure his legs are well wrapped for protection and support.

I have hauled horses long journeys and have always been very watchful of this very serious illness.
Also watch for any depression, loss of appetite.

If you have the option of having him rear facing I would take it, it is less stressful for the horse and gives them better balance.

Best of luck, it sounds lovely where you are headed.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:43 AM

Thanks everyone! I already am planning to give him SMZ's to prevent illness. I am going to be living at the farm he's going to, so I will be able to keep a very close eye on him and his temp. etc. There is no layover, just one quick stop right off the highway near Maryland to let a horse off. Other than that, they just stop to give water and check hay every 3-4 hours. I'm hung up on wrapping him, though. I am thinking about not wrapping because it's such a long way that they may slip down and that would be bad. I've heard a case for both sides, but I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do. Other than that, he has a curent coggins, and I'm picking up his health certificate next week, so I'm good to go. I just can't help but worry until he steps off the trailer and is ok...

Old 06-27-2007, 09:10 AM
SKB

If the wraps slip down will the people responsible for him re wrap them for him? If they are stopping every 3-4 hours.

Wrapping is so important it provides protection and support.

I am sure you know this but I am a firm believer in this. I would never haul without doing this. I can tell you I have hauled a lot (Manitoba to Texas) and have never had wraps slip down.

You can use shipping boots with polo wraps or use fleece material under polo wraps.
Make sure you wrap, wind them toward the inside of the horse so you are pulling from the back of the leg toward the horses belly.

Best of luck, btw, what breed of horse is it?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the advice. I know how to wrap, I've had my horse a long time, and we have had a good run on the hunter show circut. I've just never had him ship this far. The farthest we've gone is from NJ to Vermont (about 6 hours). Plus, we've gone to the HITS show up in NY, but never to the one in Ocala. Anyway, he is a very large TB, he's actually built more like a warmblood, and people always think he is one!
I have heard from both camps on the issue. I have always wrapped in the past. But, I doubt the shippers are going to be unloading him to re-wrap him at a rest stop. To be honest, that makes me nervous. I won't be here to put him on, because I want to be in Ocala to recieve him. I'm leaving on July 6, and he's shipping between the 9-12. They will call me with a date as it gets closer. So, I won't be the one wrapping him. But I wanted to be there when he arrrives so I can take care of him, rather than the other way. It's so stressful!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
SKB

Well do what you think would be best for him.
My sports have been Western pleasure, showmanship, trail and halter and then I got out of all of that and got into cutting. I love cutting, it is such a rush.
Since I moved for the last number of years I have not been involved with horses. I plan on getting back on some level when we move to WPB in Sept.
We are moving with three dogs, one cat and a bird, I understand your stress

It is going to be so nice for you living on that place. I am jealous.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:44 PM

I think I've decided to wrap just his front. That way, if they slip, the shipper can remove them w/o having to unload him. Other than that, he isn't shod behind, so I'll just have the farrier come and round him off a few days before he leaves. Besides the horse, my husband and I are taking our 2 dogs (1 collie-shepard mix, and the other border collie-lab mix) in the car with us, and our 2 cats! We're driving our jeep cherokee, so we're gonna put the 2 cats in the dog's crate w/their litter pan and food/water, and the dogs will ride loose. We're gonna go straight through and not stop overnight. We plan to leave at 2:30 in the moring, so we should have a pretty clear path from NJ to FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: