U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 03:32 PM

17 posts, read 28,249 times

Advertisements

Hello to all, and thanks for all the great information that I've found browsing and reading your threads about "retirement communities."

While the internet is a wonderful place to search, find and browse looking at homes and communities, sometimes talking to the people helps the most.

I also realize that many "gems" or "hidden treasures" exist and are not reflected on the web.

Here's what I'm looking for in Ocala...

A retirement community who's main volunteer group is not passing out wheelchairs. In other words, I'm a lot closer to 55 and not so much gray hair. I just really need a break from 50-plus years in the snow belt.

I have a plan on moving while renting my home so that a) I have something to fall back on if my initial move doesn't work out and b) can get a little income from the rental. That being said...

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a home in an area that I might not like, so I was considering purchasing a modular/mobile home. Spend some monies fixing it up, updating the kitchen and bath... and then deciding whether or not I can handle the humidity, warmer weather, etc. without spending thousands of dollars unnecessarily.

I come with a catch -- actually two catches. I own dogs that are well over the usually-found, 20-pound weight limit.

This is where I'm failing big time in my internet searches, as it seems that most of the 55+, 40+ parks have a weight limit on dogs.

Is there a hidden gem in an "all adult" community that will allow *responsible* owners (who are willing to fence, kennel, etc.) in a modular/mobile home community? Is there one with a dog park?

While I search and search, I come up with thousands of modular/mobile home parks, but for many of them -- there is no information on lot rent, pet policy, etc. There's only a name and a telephone number...

So if any of you know of a hidden treasure/gem - diamond in the rough -- please let me know. While my boys might be looking forward to another winter with 24 inches of snow... I'm kinda leaning more on a walk on the beach on Christmas morning.

Thanks much for any/all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 11:15 PM

140 posts, read 675,211 times
Default Hidden treausre/gem in Ocala

Yes, indeed, there is a treasure/gem in Ocala, named Marion Landing. Marion Landing is "An Active Adult Retirement Community" just SouthWest of downtown Ocala, located on Route 200.

Marion Landing has 610 private residences. The oldest are double-wide mobile homes, vintage maybe 1970's? There are a small scattering of these older units still in existence and being resided in. After some hiatus in building, building resumed in Marion Landing in the late-1980's with stick-built homes, which are now the predominate home. All are ranches, on varying sized lots. The older double-wides are selling(not!) for the hiigh-40's. Home prices go up from there, based on age and condition of the home. Homes are neatly maintained, with lots of flower gardens, huge trees for sun protection. The area is very, very quiet, especially at night

There is a HOA, charging $318/quarter, including(I think?) your 1st 40,000 gallons of water. The community is not strictly gated although there is one but it's manned only during the evening hours. There is a community patrol car that watches the neighborhoods during the evening hours also. Crime is non-existent.

Residents tend to be much older than you(and I), with most being in their 70's, 80's and up. But, they are some of the most charming, warm, welcoming, caring individuals you will ever meet. There is much shared concern and caring amoungst the residents. They are an active group, enjoying card parties, bingo, the outdoor pool and hot-tub and all the amenities. Amenities include a bowling alley, exercise room, billards room, library, kitchen, gathering hall, shuffleboard, tennis, movies, seasonal parties, birthday parties, a small pond, picnic area...you get the idea. The Community Center is just now finishing a major renovation and is due to be finished by Labor Day. Many residents are walkers, and bicyclists. Many have dogs that they walk. This community supports recycling efforts. The residents are very active, impressively so, given their age. Just warm, nice, charming people...can't say enough positive things about them.

Many residents are snow birds so the area is even more quiet during the summer months.

As opposed to many other Active Adult Communities, grandchildren here are actually welcomed and enjoyed, and appreciated for their presence. Other active adult communities have little tolerance of visiting grandchildren and make it very clear in their scorn...what a shame?

Dogs are allowed and we've seen Labrador Retrievers, and Weimaraners. I think so long as your dogs are not huge monsters, no one will care.

The community is centrally located with the Jasmine Plaza in front of it. Another new plaza is adjacent to that. The plaza's and office buildings house doctor's offices, restaurants of all cuisines, international bakeries, jewelers, a DMV office, on and on. A CVS and Dollar General are in the same plaza. Two blocks away is a new Publix supermarket. There are all kinds of stores, and offices nearby on Route 200 amd side streets.

One word of caution: Marion Landing is just under the final approach path to the small community airport just up the street. Depending on where in the Landing you live, planes may fly overhead, just a few hundred feet. However, it's not a busy airport and it supports mostly light private aircraft, and the occasional Coast Guard 4-engined plane doing practice landings. To some, this is annoying...most people just get used to the occasional noise from above....really, it's nothing major.

One other word of caution: about those double-wides, we temporarily rented a furnished one, while we were building a new home elsewhere. The double-wides are old; are no way energy efficient; are heavily prone to wind damage. You cannot get a mortgage on one, and insurance companies down here will write coverage if you are an established customer. Make an offer on one, tear it down, and replace it with a new modular home...a much better idea than trying to fix one up, especially with Ocala's high utility rates and their lack of energy efficiency.

A double-wide modular here can be rented for $600 per month, fully furnished. A regular home can be purchased at dirt cheap prices now and you know the home will have been taken care of, although probably in need of updating. Buying a stick-built home, a much more substantial home, is a much better investment than an old double-wide. There is a wide variety of homes available here...most of for sale as the owner is getting too old to live independently and needs assisted living...so the house must sell.

By the way, we are from Upstate New York, where we averaged 70 to 80+ inches of snow, plus the outrageous taxes, the cold, miserable, dark winters. We quickly sold our house and rented in Marion Landing for 5 months while our house was being built. We have many, many fond memories of the residents of Marion Landing.

Lastly, I'd beware of some of the other Ocala communities that allow double0wides...many of these other sites are quite well run down, and not necessarily safe...something you don't have to worry about in Marion Landing.

If yo're looking for a quiet, safe, yet active adult community that will welcome your 2 dogs, your search has ended

If you need more infor, and/or the realtor who specializes in Marion Landing, send me a private message and I'll answer any questions.

Glad to help.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,501 times
Hello, I am in the same boat as you, I do have a 2.6 pound Yorkie, no problem there, but i also have a 52 pound standard poodle. YES!!! there are 2 communities that i was able to find. 1) Saddle Oak Club, just minutes from the main strip and the mall. 2) Foxwood Farms- just north of the strip. these two communities are approximately 10 minutes drive from one and i am sure that i will end up in one of those two. I have gotten very prompt and polite responses from both. Hope this helps you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynner View Post
Hello to all, and thanks for all the great information that I've found browsing and reading your threads about "retirement communities."

While the internet is a wonderful place to search, find and browse looking at homes and communities, sometimes talking to the people helps the most.

I also realize that many "gems" or "hidden treasures" exist and are not reflected on the web.

Here's what I'm looking for in Ocala...

A retirement community who's main volunteer group is not passing out wheelchairs. In other words, I'm a lot closer to 55 and not so much gray hair. I just really need a break from 50-plus years in the snow belt.

I have a plan on moving while renting my home so that a) I have something to fall back on if my initial move doesn't work out and b) can get a little income from the rental. That being said...

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a home in an area that I might not like, so I was considering purchasing a modular/mobile home. Spend some monies fixing it up, updating the kitchen and bath... and then deciding whether or not I can handle the humidity, warmer weather, etc. without spending thousands of dollars unnecessarily.

I come with a catch -- actually two catches. I own dogs that are well over the usually-found, 20-pound weight limit.

This is where I'm failing big time in my internet searches, as it seems that most of the 55+, 40+ parks have a weight limit on dogs.

Is there a hidden gem in an "all adult" community that will allow *responsible* owners (who are willing to fence, kennel, etc.) in a modular/mobile home community? Is there one with a dog park?

While I search and search, I come up with thousands of modular/mobile home parks, but for many of them -- there is no information on lot rent, pet policy, etc. There's only a name and a telephone number...

So if any of you know of a hidden treasure/gem - diamond in the rough -- please let me know. While my boys might be looking forward to another winter with 24 inches of snow... I'm kinda leaning more on a walk on the beach on Christmas morning.

Thanks much for any/all your help!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:37 PM

23 posts, read 65,902 times
I'm with you all about pet restrictions. I have a very well mannered Collie, but he is 60 lbs. Since he is part of the family, I would not think of moving anywhere he would not be welcome. I understand one of the purposes of size restrictions would be to keep out large menacing breeds but many of us are responsible pet owners.

It is difficult to find a place to own and more difficult to find a place to rent. I've been looking at Pine Ridge, a little further south in Citrus County.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:21 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,324,611 times
The Villages allow 2 dogs, no size restriction. But unless you have a courtyard villa, your yard won't be fenced and you're not allowed to put one in. Also your dogs must be leashed at all times. So you can't just "let the dog out" in the morning to do his thing. You have to be attached to the other end of his leash. The courtyard villa yards are way too small for large dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or