U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2010, 06:16 PM
 
80 posts, read 321,441 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

We took a tram tour of The Villages this weekend and walked around the village square(s). There seems to be an enormous number of clubs and ammenities.

We are wondering how the ammenities are paid for. Is there a monthly fee? If so, how is it assessed? What are the costs involved in living in The Villages. I should probably contact a realtor, but I am not ready for the "hard sell" yet.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM
 
4,157 posts, read 13,851,180 times
Reputation: 3860
There's no 'hard sell' at all, we went there this summer for several days (lifestyle visit) and it was great, like a mini-vacation, and we got to do the trolley / tram tour and see the various rec centers, go to the restaurants, met some people etc, there was absolutely no pressure, it was our first time in a long time in FL and our first time ever in The Villages so we werent ready to make a decision, I think they realize that often happens. Anyway, we really liked it a lot. We flew in so to only take the tour w/h/b foolish on our part, we wanted to check it all out and get a feel for it. I believe there are over 600 clubs, you'd have to find something you'd like LOL, you can be as active - or inactive - as you want. Anyway, for specific questions, you really should ask on their forum, they're very nice and you'll get some honest viewpoints.

Talk of The Villages - The Villages, Florida

or at least read it - the Nuts & Bolts section explains the fees - the costs depend on the house your interested in, your hobbies/interests etc - it may be a lot less than you think (I think the basic amenity fee is $135/mo but that doesnt include mowing etc, btw have never heard of a 55+ comm. that doesnt include a monthly fee) - there's also a bond fee - anyway, do a search here or check out the TOTV forum (above).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,978 posts, read 4,369,897 times
Reputation: 5025
Do your research here:
Talk of The Villages - The Villages, Florida
There are also a number of retirement communities in the area so look arround.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 04:49 PM
 
1,188 posts, read 2,103,331 times
Reputation: 1881
THE VILLAGES...Almost has a plastic stepford wives feel to it! Maybe it's just me. Wasn't that the name of an M.Night Shyamalan Movie???!!! I don't know...something just creeps me out. Sorry !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 03:12 PM
 
4,422 posts, read 6,391,796 times
Reputation: 10872
Deef1 has it right. The developer owns and operates the local newspaper, the Village Sun, and also the local radio station, WVLG, a Fox News affiliate, which is piped through the downtown areas while you stroll and shop. You're constantly spoon fed whatever baloney they want you to feel or think. It creeped me out too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,417 posts, read 32,975,613 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Deef1 has it right. The developer owns and operates the local newspaper, the Village Sun, and also the local radio station, WVLG, a Fox News affiliate, which is piped through the downtown areas while you stroll and shop. You're constantly spoon fed whatever baloney they want you to feel or think. It creeped me out too.
I've gotten to the point where I will not accept design jobs there, or go there to spend my money.....it is a VERY creepy place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 AM
 
14 posts, read 43,722 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I've gotten to the point where I will not accept design jobs there, or go there to spend my money.....it is a VERY creepy place.
I'm sorry; your post made me laugh.

When my parents first moved to the Villages, I thought it was kind of Stepford Wives, myself. However, everyone I have met is as different as night and day. It is a wonderful blend of all types of cultures, personalities, and interests. My parents, who are not Mr. and Mrs. Social, immediately developed strong friendships with people in different clubs. They attend cultural attractions, some which are free. Thgouh, at the age of 82, they are not able to be too physically active, they do contribute as much as they are able, to projects that benefit the community (outside the Villages) and the children. Definitely not Stepford Wivish at all.

There IS an amenity fee for everything you get here. The last time I checked it was a little bit more than $1400/year. My daughter checked out one community in Leesburg to move into. Their HOA fee was $1200 and all you got was a small swimming pool and a swing set for the children. The Villages, on the other hand, has things for the children when they come to visit, and a plethora of activities available for its residents.

I LOVE to go shopping at the Villages. It has everything I want (except Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's) close by. Everything is new and looks so pretty. I love the lakes scattered around, with its ducks. It's very peaceful and rejuvenating.

Yes, the owners own the radio and TV stations and the newspaper. But nobody forces you to watch or listen to them. There's a multitude of other channels to watch to get the "whole picture", and one can order the Orlando Sentinel to be delivered to their door, for another point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,417 posts, read 32,975,613 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesLadyLake View Post
I'm sorry; your post made me laugh.

When my parents first moved to the Villages, I thought it was kind of Stepford Wives, myself. However, everyone I have met is as different as night and day. It is a wonderful blend of all types of cultures, personalities, and interests. My parents, who are not Mr. and Mrs. Social, immediately developed strong friendships with people in different clubs. They attend cultural attractions, some which are free. Thgouh, at the age of 82, they are not able to be too physically active, they do contribute as much as they are able, to projects that benefit the community (outside the Villages) and the children. Definitely not Stepford Wivish at all.

There IS an amenity fee for everything you get here. The last time I checked it was a little bit more than $1400/year. My daughter checked out one community in Leesburg to move into. Their HOA fee was $1200 and all you got was a small swimming pool and a swing set for the children. The Villages, on the other hand, has things for the children when they come to visit, and a plethora of activities available for its residents.

I LOVE to go shopping at the Villages. It has everything I want (except Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's) close by. Everything is new and looks so pretty. I love the lakes scattered around, with its ducks. It's very peaceful and rejuvenating.

Yes, the owners own the radio and TV stations and the newspaper. But nobody forces you to watch or listen to them. There's a multitude of other channels to watch to get the "whole picture", and one can order the Orlando Sentinel to be delivered to their door, for another point of view.
And your post made me laugh, especially the bolded part. So that makes it all better? Its fake, and plastic, ewwwwwwwww
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 06:03 AM
 
14 posts, read 43,722 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
And your post made me laugh, especially the bolded part. So that makes it all better? Its fake, and plastic, ewwwwwwwww
The people are very real. Most are warm, helpful and welcoming. I hadn't met such wonderful people since I left Alaska.
The realness of the people is the most important element of the Villages.

If you keep away from everything fake and plastic, I hope you keep away from all amusement parks, memorials, malls; I can go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 06:59 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 38,280,350 times
Reputation: 20198
The people are people, just like people everywhere else. They pretend to drink the same Kool Aid thta makes them happy peppy joy joy, but some things they don't tell you:
The vast majority of residents are Republican, and if you enjoy political discussions, and are not a registered Republican, you won't fit in well there at all. AT ALL.
Their forums are run by people who are completely out of the loop, who are happy to remind people that they own the forum, and you are a guest, and you should behave like a guest. They forget, however, to behave like gracious hosts.
The entire place is a facade. As are many of the people. They all extoll the virtues of living in a Disneyland for Adults..and then you find out about the golf cart crashes, the teenagers who run rampant in the village square parking lots sitting on residents' cars and golf carts smoking and drinking... the problems they have with traffic control because some of the streets are public, and connect to private roads, and neither the developer nor the state wants to coordinate any enforcement (or both want to do it their own way and you end up with a crossfire).
And how about a medical building that was built, is ready to be occupied, but the developer neglected to get the proper permits to open the place so it stands there vacant for months (woops?).
Oh yeah and a couple years ago one of the village areas was infested with rats, because the developer chose not to have a regular exterminator for the development on the payroll (even though part of the fees the residents paid were supposed to cover that cost). With a property of several *miles*, you'd think an exterminator would be a given.

You learn about the IRS fiasco, which cost the homeowners a huge chunk of change when the Morses were required to pay up *millions* in development fees that somehow or another never made it into the state coffers like they were supposed to.

And now we find out that the fearless leader and his pal, owner of the primary builder for the properties, and the leader's wife and daughter, and several other cronies who have financial and/or political ties to the Villages, have all been charged with felony poaching in Montana. And will be fined if found guilty. Of course the residents of the Villages are stuck with that nasty stain of ownership on their development whether or not he's found guilty. The shadow over the Villages has just become a notch darker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top