Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:04 PM

295 posts, read 1,450,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalo View Post
Is there an uglier city in Florida?
Try Panama City Beach from October through March...
The town just closes down after the tourists stop coming. It starts looking like a run-down ghost town from some kind of wierd horror movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 07:03 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
I nominate Fort Pierce or "PIT PIERCE"... What a DUMP... Runner up is Cocoa, NOT Cocoa Beach, but Cocoa is a ghetto!!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 07:07 PM

52 posts, read 93,465 times
Default Fort Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I nominate Fort Pierce or "PIT PIERCE"... What a DUMP... Runner up is Cocoa, NOT Cocoa Beach, but Cocoa is a ghetto!!!!
There is nowhere better than Fort Pierce. All you need to know is stay out of the seedy area after dark.

I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:10 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
The seedy area??? Where is that, I went through there when I lived in Vero, and I didn't see any good areas, it was all seedy.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:20 PM

52 posts, read 93,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
The seedy area??? Where is that, I went through there when I lived in Vero, and I didn't see any good areas, it was all seedy.
Good areas, North and South Hutcheson Island, Anywhere along the Indian River Lagoon, Downtown, neighborhoods north of Orange Ave like Glidden Park, all along Sunrise Blvd, Oleander, down in White City, out west there are ranches, nurseries, groves, lots more I am not thinking of right now + there is no traffic, good restaurants, every kind of convenience you need, the only bad parts are in the alphabet number streets and along Route 1 which is not even that bad. I repeat, no traffic...I own some property here so I only half mean it when I say that I hope no one discovers Fort Pierce because I can get to the beach from my house near Midway Road in less tha 15 minutes. If I had to travel to the beach from 10 miles away in Vero, Stuart, etc it would take 30 minutes plus.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,011 times
I like Ocala, They gave a Driver license back the 80's with only 6 hours of resident time before I move back to the Carolina's. Had some great bars there.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
I'd take Ocala before Hudson, Port Richey, Spring Hill

Old 04-16-2008, 11:50 AM

86 posts, read 417,503 times
PALATKA

This little town is the antithesis of quaint. Wake up to the smell of sulfur from the local paper factory! See the majestic smokestacks peer through the morning haze. Visit the center of culture at the local Wal-Mart- just watch that the teens who hang out there don't pelt you with empty beer cans out of boredom.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:59 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlee03 View Post
I like Ocala, They gave a Driver license back the 80's with only 6 hours of resident time before I move back to the Carolina's. Had some great bars there.
well, theres a reason to like a town. Ocala is without a doubt, just plain fugly, no, thats not a typo. Everything the OP said is true. I have been here 18 years, and the mindset of the folks that run this place is just horrifying.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 95,380 times
Default When's the last time you woke up in Palatka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1990 View Post
PALATKA

Wake up to the smell of sulfur from the local paper factory! See the majestic smokestacks peer through the morning haze.
Palatka, Florida, isn't one of the prettiest towns in Florida, nor is it an entertainment mecca. Very few jobs here, either.

But....

Since the late 1980s when Research-Cottrell installed the air pollution control devices at Georgia-Pacific, the only time the odor of the mill's pulp processing is detectable is when there is a "low ceiling" of clouds for more than 6-8 hours. This occurs so infrequently that when it does occur, my children [life-long residents] want to know what in the world that smell is.

Other sources of foul smells in the Palatka/Putnam County area have been cleaned or removed as well:
- Cabbage rotting in the fields of East Palatka and Hastings. Few farmers are growing cabbage anymore due to lack of demand.
- Rice Creek. I don't know why this waterway stunk so bad when I was growing up unless it was just run-off from the pulp mill. But it's clean and stink-free now.
- Adhesives and finishes used at Florida Furniture. [Gaack! I never noticed this odor until the mill quit stinking.] Florida Furniture went bankrupt a few years back and the site was bought by a condo developer. The developer got the historic site about half-way demolished before the economy tanked on him and he just quit. [This is an eyesore, Mr. Developer.]
- Slaughter ponds at Florida Packing & Provision. Florida Packing closed down about 10 years ago when it was determined that the cost of bringing the facility up to ISO standards was prohibitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala