Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:11 PM

52 posts, read 93,445 times

Advertisements

I can't wait to get back over to Pahokee. I passed through a few times on my way somewhere else but never stopped. Your post convinced me to give it a try. Got any restaurant recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Actually, parts of downtown Ocala look kinda cute and 'funky' (I just did a quick Google Street View of the area just SE of Silver Springs and Blvd. and Pine Ave.). I'd do anything to get out of DC - anyone wanna trade with me?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 PM

326 posts, read 1,170,045 times
Belle Glade, Pahokee and Immokalee. Drive west on MLK in Belle Glade looks like Overtown Miami with the apartment balconies hanging over the street.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:52 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Actually, parts of downtown Ocala look kinda cute and 'funky' (I just did a quick Google Street View of the area just SE of Silver Springs and Blvd. and Pine Ave.). I'd do anything to get out of DC - anyone wanna trade with me?
Downtown historical Ocala does have a very neat town square with some neat restaurants with neat shops on adjacent streets plus they have a lot of "events" on the town square.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:01 PM

74 posts, read 294,445 times
Quote:
Moved from DC Area myself....you say this now....I said this before like you. You can keep yourself entertained in Ocala for about a week tops. After that you will start to not feel right unless you get your daily fix of Wal-Mart. Yeah, you will take those trips to the beaches which are nice and take over an hour or two to drive there, but soon you'll be tired of driving that far one way to go to the beach. After months go by like groundhog day, you will start to grow tired of the same old 3 main roads and your daily driving on the exact same streets. Your brain will require that you have more options and this is something you will not find in Ocala. Slowly but surely you will grow tired of the simplicity and soon plan a vacation back to the DC Area.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 14,397 times
LAKE CITY gets my vote

Old 03-19-2011, 08:35 AM

4 posts, read 29,800 times
The ugliest parts of florida are pretty much anywhere on the south end of lake okeechobee such as belle glade and pahokee. I had to drive through it to see how bad the area was said to be. It lives up to every bad claim. its almost a third world country that can be compared to haiti

Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Dont know how I missed this post before......the area of SS Blvd and Pine has a lot of drugs and hookers, its not "cute and funky" when you live here.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:24 PM

716 posts, read 1,237,727 times
I've been to Miami, COral Gables, Cocunut Grove, Hollywood, West Palm, Belle Glade, CLewiston, Moore Haven, Lake Placid, Sebring, TAMPA, CLEARWATER, ST PETE, Orlando, Mount Dora, Leesburg, Wildwood and more....the scariest looking place I've been is Cocunut Grove and Orlando(altho I have not been East or North of downtown). belle Glade, clewiston and moore haven looked like there would be nothing to do and I hear Belle Glade is terrible. Coral Gables/South Miami surprisingly looked pretty dangerous too.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I was surprised to see this post. I've driven on the interstates through a good portion of FL, and I find the state flat, boring, seedy and un-picturesque -- except when I got to the Ocala area. It was such a pleasant surprise to come upon the rolling hills and horse farms off I-75. I haven't been to the town of Ocala itself, but assumed it was an upscale area since John Travolta lives there. Guess not...huh?

I must say, my trip across FL on 301 (following Mapquest's route) was one of the scariest drives ever. First of all, there's a speed trap in every little town. But the towns themselves were so run-down and seedy....I had been planning on stopping at a McDonald's drive-through for lunch, and I don't think there was one McDonald's the entire way. You know it's a bad area when there isn't even a McDonald's in town. I was just hoping to get through with no tickets and no uninsured driver hitting me. I will never take that route again! Sadly, a lot of FL, besides the coastal areas, is just a complete trashy wasteland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala