Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:57 PM

121 posts, read 785,833 times

Advertisements

Guys and Gals,
This thread of course focuses on holding towns accountable. There are tons of great places to live in Florida but it takes work to keep Florida nice. Because of tourism Florida has become a dumping ground in places. Because of the service economy, the stress has been on service trades and not the professions. Because of the lack of emphasis on higher skilled callings, there is not the same community pressure to hold government accountable on education. We see two tiers in Florida vividly, the haves and have-nots. With rising property and other costs, those in lower incomes are scraping by. A higher percentage of these are in low end rental housing. The low end housing also often houses itinerant people living close to the edge with a higher frequency of drug and alcohol problems.

I think sooner or later many places in Florida will take a second look at tourism as not being all that good from the standpoint of building a healthy local economy.

It is a two-edged sword: with every new tourist or short term resident a little more of Florida dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 02:59 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,508 times
I have to totally disagree with you there. I happen to WORK in the hospitality industry & the tourism here IS the economy!!! And that's just fine with me! Yeah, I admit I'm guilty of cursing the cars who don't know where they are & the traffic in the winter busy season & telling them all to go home ,but then I'm like, wait a minute - you pay my bills, so never mind!
Yeah the beach (as in Miami Beach) gets "dumped on" during big weekends like Memorial Day, but it's gotten better the past few years & hey - it brings ALOT of money! Super Bowl is coming so we'll be jammin! The boat show, awards - yeah I'm not into all that hooplah but it brings the moolah!

Old 08-24-2006, 07:09 AM

24,766 posts, read 28,505,227 times
Yes their are some great places in Florida,But's not like it was 20 years ago.Over populated,lack of good schools,crime in some places all time high.Orlando just had it 37 murder this year,gang related-drugs Meth Labs are big in Florida lots of money too be made.The roads can not handle the cars,and then on the brighter side the hurricanes,bugs,and rip tides............

Old 08-24-2006, 09:06 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,508 times
Guess what? No place & no ONE is like they were 20 years ago! I mean, we're ALL 20 years older!
Time passes, things change.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:30 AM

121 posts, read 785,833 times
I think what I need to add to my post is that there are repercussions and impacts when an economy is too monolithic on the side of hospitality. More balance is needed. Back in the day in the northern tier of the state, that is in the late 1930's the forest products industry made heavy developments in the panhandle and in the upper tier of the state. This was heavy industry, employing thousands of unskilled workers. The turpentine industry gave way to forest technology. Now a sizeable portion of the vast land resources owned by St. Joe and Rayonier are being sold and developed not with a "hospitality industry" focus but with a "planned development" focus emphasizing total community services and quality of life. These developments, the future of Florida for decades to come, will attract individuals and families that have professional resumes and want quality services, schools, and other community facilities like libraries, well preserved natural areas, and control of sprawl. This will gradually usher in a different Florida- one that is more responsibly planned and supported by permanent stakeholders, not temporary inhabitants. There will always be a major hospitality industry in Florida, don't get me wrong. But people are finding that if you have to live in hell for a walk on the beach it might not be worth it. There are a lot more attractive alternatives elsewhere in Florida. These alternatives will bring a better balance to this state and will help us preserve its beauty and resources. Part of this is owning up to improving where we live in Florida- hence this post on ugly towns, which are everywhere and in unexpected places far from the coast like Ocala.

Last edited by daedalo; 08-25-2006 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: correction on topic

Old 08-25-2006, 05:28 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,748 times
I agree--job quality here must improve. FL has always relied on tourism + services from day 1, and unfortunately still does. The #1 problem facing this state is job quality+pay. All the other problems here like crime, traffic, high housing costs, etc. can be found elsewhere, and much of these problems would be improved here if the job quality+pay were improved.

It makes me sick when I read about all the various roadblocks that local government has thrown at Scripps and their plans to build here. I wouldn't be suprised if the whole deal collapses with the way they've been jerked around, and that's the best chance the state has going for it right now.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:51 AM

421 posts, read 468,782 times
Default Tourists

I do not think it is the tourists that are ruining Fl.....

Old 12-09-2006, 07:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalo View Post
Today I drove from Fernandina Beach down 301 to Ocala. The only town I went through of any size was Starke, which is mainly supported by farms and the extensive prisons nearby. I got to Ocala early so I drove around town. I must say outside of Ocala are some gorgeous horse farms. But how in the world did the town of Ocala allow such a cancer of trashy development nearly everywhere? Ocala is, without a doubt, the ugliest city in central Florida. It is a testament to unchecked bottom of the barrel development and a total lack of planning. Zero landscape and signage planning except for an afterthought on one road for a quarter mile north of the CBD (Central Business District). There are a few fragmented areas of old downtown that are restored, but it is clear the downtown is struggling financially. With all the wealth around it, Ocala looks borderline 3rd world. Flat out junk development.

Again, the natural areas around Ocala are some of the prettiest in Florida while Ocala itself is a testament to a flea-market mindset run amok all over the landscape. Is there an uglier city in Florida?
Add Oakland Park/Ft Laud. and Dania Beach- Maybe they were nice in the 50's, now they are run-down trash heaps.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:16 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
Miami has become uglier as the years go by, but for now I nominate Weston. It's been ugly from the start, boring and master-planned. There isn't one structure there I don't hate!

Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Exclamation American dream-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami has become uglier as the years go by, but for now I nominate Weston. It's been ugly from the start, boring and master-planned. There isn't one structure there I don't hate!
lol Weston- weren't people camping out overnight to get to buy one of those "estates"?. I had a friend in Ft Laud from Guyana- her husband bought in Weston and they thought it was the best thing in America since sliced bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala