U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:37 PM

10 posts, read 21,676 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Ocala area from New England. Question- Are the bugs bad down there in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 05:31 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,972,876 times
In a word, yes.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 AM

4,054 posts, read 6,799,182 times
They can be bad at times. Fire ants, cockroaches, mosquitoes (to name a few) can be an issue but there are various treatments to keep them at bay.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:49 AM

749 posts, read 2,175,206 times
Mosquitoes yes. I don't use a pest control service and don't treat the house at all.......I might see a couple of roaches a year. I don't care for the big silver dollar size spiders, I see 2 or 3 of those per year.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 AM

20 posts, read 50,266 times
I'm from New England and recently bought a house in Ocala. I've never seen bugs SO BIG! I mean HUGE! Our house is surrounded by open fields that haven't had any activity for years but once we sprayed around the house the bug population decreased significantly. We've kept up with the spraying and it seems to be ok. I didn't want to spray inside the house but after finding ants infesting the dogs food I did spray inside and it seems to be fine. We used Home Defense spray that you can buy at Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:50 PM

464 posts, read 798,563 times
In addition to spraying, I also bomb the house if we are going to be away for a few days. I don't do bugs.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 PM

140 posts, read 674,714 times
Default Central Florida bugs

Yes, central Florida, as probably the rest of the state, has bugs...big bugs. Lots of grasshoppers, crickets, knats, fire ants, fleas, mosquitos, love bugs(particularly nasty but only for a few weeks).

Spraying the perimeter of your house will reduce, but not eliminate most bugs that may crawl into your house, but will not be of much help with flying bugs.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:51 AM

10 posts, read 21,676 times
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 AM

509 posts, read 1,520,821 times
It is not just during the summer! Our winters are often so warm that bugs are often a problem year round. Its not just the mosquitos or the ants or the roaches, but "no see 'ems", fleas, ticks and termintes, to name a few.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,297,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenlady View Post
Thinking of moving to Ocala area from New England. Question- Are the bugs bad down there in the summer?
If you are from New England and accustomed to the astounding nuisance of black flies (during season) and mosquitos, you'll probably adjust well enough, provided you don't have any specific phobias (or just severe dislikes) of certain kinds of bugs.

Here are a few observation of the bugs in Florida (including Ocala) [from the perspective of a fellow New Englander:

(1) The [biting] ants down here are, in my opinion anyway, the biggest nuisance. Nothing in New England even comes remotely close to this, as far as I have ever seen. These things are just all over. Sometimes you'll see mounds of these things all over farmers fields, and it's just other-worldly, like from a Sci-Fi movie. I think people down here get used to it.

They sell the powder at all the hardware store to take care of these fire ants, but it only does so much good. You can eliminate a big mound of them, but really, they are just everywhere.... every square inch of any given property, basically. You kind of have to readjust the lifestyle a tad, because even something as simple as sitting in the grass or on the driveway can lead to getting bit by these little annoyances. Likewise, if you are into gardening, you had better come to accept it as an unavoidable fact of life that these things are just going to be biting you all over. You really can't even do something as simple as picking weeds sometimes without getting these things on you.

As far as ant problems in the house..... despite what I said above about the fire ants outside, I have not noticed a big problem with ants inside the house. If anything, I think I've seen less ants inside the house than when in New England.

(2) "Love bugs." The people in this state have some kind of very odd vendetta against love bugs. I find it to be the most ridiculous thing ever, and find the bugs to be quite enjoyable.... and just about the most harmless bugs in existence (other than the mess they make on your car, I guess) but whatever. With all the venomous creatures down here, you'd think they'd not complain about something so ridiculous.... but.... different strokes for different folks.

(3) Cockroaches. Yeah, they are big. They not only live in houses, but much to my surprise, I learned they lived in certain palm trees in very large numbers. One day I was watering the palm tree, and to my amazement, I saw dozens of these things scurrying about. I had lived there for a good year and had no clue at all that they were silently lurking about. I guess the lesson to be learned there is that you never really know how many of these buggers are hanging about your residence (both inside and out) until you flush them out.

(4) I don't find the mosquitos bad here... at all.... in comparison to New England.

(5) I also find the fly problem to be less here, also.

(6) Spiders (including venomous). My least favorite subject. I cannot really quantify spiders in terms of saying its worse down here or not, in terms of numbers. I really don't notice that many more.

What I will say is this: The ones that are here..... egatz.... They are frigging huge. I don't know if you do any hiking or not, but I can tell you that if you ever venture into one of the marshy areas, they have spiders here that are (not really exaggerating here) a good 2 - 3 inches in legspan, with pretty decent sized bodies on top of it.

Even if you don't venture into the aforementioned areas, you will still probably see a variety of common spiders in your yard that are fairly large in comparison to what we see in New England. One kind likes to make zig-zag webs, I forget the name... but they are pretty common here.

Venemous spiders, yep... got those too in good quantity (which can do you pretty good bodily damage if not treated promptly). Though they have them up in New England too, so I won't belabor the point.

(7) Venemous snakes. This state has MANY (six) varieties of venomous snakes (and non venomous - over 50 varieties). I have not been in FL long enough to speak as to how common the venomous snakes are around your yard, though I will say that you'll probably eventually run into one or two within a few years.

You will almost certainly run into non venomous snakes around the yard and in your neighborhood, quite often. The Garter snake seems quite prolific.

If you are a hiker by any chance, you may by virtue of probability, have had greater occasion to stumble upon these venomous snakes than the average homeowner.

I have stumbled upon at least two kinds of venomous snakes during daily hikes including a coral snake that I practically stumbled right over as I was walking down by a river one day. Damn lucky he did not bite me. I am also pretty sure I ran across a 'cotton mouth' (water moccasin) one day. Also very dangerous.

They supposedly have three kinds of rattlesnakes here, but I've never ran across them, thusfar.

(8) Scorpions. Never seen one myself, even with all the hiking I do, but supposedly they have Bark scorpions here, which I think are venomous. More than likely you won't run across one unless any long-time residents want to say otherwise, perhaps.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 06-14-2011 at 11:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or