Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:41 AM

61 posts, read 209,123 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if Ocala is suitable for a you person in mid 20's?
Will be relocating from Richmond, VA with job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 09:49 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
This would depend on what lifestyle you are desiring or used to.
Do you prefer urban, suburban, or rural areas?
Is traffic a big concern?
Ocala is very small compared to Orlando and Tampa, it comes without a lot of the urban amenities but also without some of the problems. It is nice, but not for everyone.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:46 AM

Yes i am looking for an Urban area.
Traffic a small concern. Is traffic bad in Ocala?
Is Ocala diverse?
Are there and high rises condo's in town or new townhomes?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:22 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
I cannot speak on day to day in Ocala, since I live in Orlando.
I know it is smaller and has a lot of Kentucky like horse rearing culture.
I would not classify it as diverse. I think you are looking for Orlando when you talk about high rises and townhomes. Orlando does have traffic, some crime impacted areas, and more diversity. Orlando feels less urban than Tampa or south Florida. I would say Orlando is more suburban, with the amenities of a city 3 times it size. Ocala is a place I would suggest you retire to or live in if you want a quieter town with one or two malls and not as much entertainment options.
I prefer Gainesville over Ocala actually. I feel like the small town charm is better there and the entertainment options .
All in all, I am not a fan of Ocala so I would not suggest it myself. I am trying to be as objective as possible.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:48 PM

15 posts, read 71,954 times
I think the honest answer is No, it isn't suitable for a young person in mid 20s. I have had a lot of experience with Ocala because my grandparents (up until recently) lived there (with everyone else's grandparents).

Ocala is the city of the elderly. It is often referred to as "Slow-cala."

Some friends of mine in college were from Ocala and whenever anyone asked what they did for fun they'd say "go out of town."

I'd avoid it if I were you. There isn't much to do and it really is a retirement city.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:52 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
That's right... there are more retired people in Ocala than a 20 year old would care to have. I'm 30 and i would not want to live there. I live in Inverness about 20 minutes away. it's a much smaller town, less congested. Many many retired subdivisions and the traffic is horrible on Hwy 200 in Ocala. it's now 6 lanes wide and still busy as ever.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:41 PM

71 posts, read 326,366 times
I Disagree With Not Moving Here To Ocala. It Is Beautiful Here. There Are Older People All Over Fl So Saying Everybody's Grandparents Live Here Is Just Wrong. I Am In My Early 30's And Love It.it Has Any Store You Want And The Traffic Is Nothing Compaired To Orlando. So That Is Input From A Person Near To Your Age. Gainesville Is Collage Town.if You Like A City With Lots Of People And More Crime, Than Orlando Is For You. If You Like A More Quiet City With Growing Communities, Horse Farms, Way Less Traffic, Ocala Is For You. I Have Been Here 2 Years. I Think It Is The Best Place In The World To Live.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storch12 View Post
Yes i am looking for an Urban area.
Traffic a small concern. Is traffic bad in Ocala?
Is Ocala diverse?
Are there and high rises condo's in town or new townhomes?
I am afraid you will be sorely disappointed. The downtown area consists of about 5 square blocks, there are NO high rise condos anywhere. As far as townhomes, you are pretty limited to condos.
Median age here is 46.1 years, and the traffic is AWFUL!!!!!
As far as diversity, in what manner are you speaking? Culture, racial, or other?
I have lived here for a looooong time, but have lived in urban areas and Europe, so I do have some experience to contrast Ocala with.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:33 AM

Diverse in foods, culture and racial.
Is there and restraunts that aren't chain restraunts?

Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,335 times
We are thinking of a move to Ocala from Ca. Can you tell me about the town? Anything you can offer. I like your objectivity. I am 38 my husband, 42, he is a commercial plumber and would have to work. We are able to cash in equity to pay off a house there but work is a concern in that we are reliant on working. Also, do you find social actiivites, like painting classes, women's groups, societies readily available?

We are currently in a low crime area but I was originally from Los Angeles and I would much prefer a lower crime area...most people would...Thanks you!~Meraya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala