Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM

32 posts, read 85,932 times

Advertisements

It's the big new Hampton Inn at the Belleview exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 AM

529 posts, read 1,174,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelephantblonde View Post
A virtual office is doable in Ocala, but don't count on "real" high speed internet here, until there is a big company like BrightHouse or AT&T bringing in service. The high speed offered isn't what people are used to in the larger cities.

Anyway, none of it all matters if you can't find a job. There is barely even a min. wage job available in this whole county. If you are looking for a real paying job, the medical industry *might* have something for you, but even those are few and far between. Forget hospitality. Hotels and restaurants are losing money and closing their doors. One new, large hotel, situated in a good location on the interstate is in receivership. Many restaurants have closed.

If you want a real estate deal though, there are many good opportunities to be had. Still, the big problem would be, how to pay for your cost of living here. It's tough.
Amen on what is called "high-speed" here. Yes, Brighthouse comes closest, but not everyone can get it. Comcast is a joke, and those who can only use satellite or landlines are to be pitied. The things I took for granted in a larger city were nowhere to be found here. Yes, real estate is dirt cheap, but you still have to pay for it, and jobs are scarce here.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 AM

Dax, you got it in a nutshell, in my experience.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:16 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
High speed internet is being rolled out in select communities in Ocala via Fiber Optic Cable by Century Link.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
High speed internet is being rolled out in select communities in Ocala via Fiber Optic Cable by Century Link.
God, they suck!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
God, they suck!!!!!!!!
Do tell. I have been using them since it was still Sprint landline and never had a problem.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:37 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Do tell. I have been using them since it was still Sprint landline and never had a problem.
5 years to get high-speed, and they lied when they told me what my speed would be....and they still are.....theres a "note" on my account to tell whoever answers my call that we have a "slow" connection.
I know what the problem is, original lines that were strung in the 70s are still in place, they have no intent of placing new lines out here.
I am just east of Sharpes Ferry Bridge off 314.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:26 AM

Another reason why Ocala is many times referred to as Slowcala. Compared to cities smaller and more remote than we are, it's sad. It takes companies forever to get basic infrastructure in place here. I've been here since the United Telephone days and really, besides spotty service for Internet, Century Link is no different from United Telephone, to Sprint, to Embarq and now Century Link.

We are constantly on the phone with Century Link about their DSL service problems. They suck, it's true.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
5 years to get high-speed, and they lied when they told me what my speed would be....and they still are.....theres a "note" on my account to tell whoever answers my call that we have a "slow" connection.
I know what the problem is, original lines that were strung in the 70s are still in place, they have no intent of placing new lines out here.
I am just east of Sharpes Ferry Bridge off 314.
Ocala is far from Sharpes Ferry Bridge and can hardly be compared. Obviously they are installing new Fiber Optic Lines in Ocala in select communities (as per the prior question for the OP) so that proves they are upgrading here. Why would they spend big bucks installing Fiber Optic cables in a limited area like Sharpes Ferry with such a small customer base ?? In several years, it may be available where you live but it is what it is.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelephantblonde View Post

We are constantly on the phone with Century Link about their DSL service problems. They suck, it's true.
There is no question that Century Link has it's own issues but it is not different than other communication systems in Ocala. I have used COX, Century Link (formerly Sprint landline) and they are all about the same. It is true that they are slow to upgrade the phone lines, but it can't be accomplished overnight anytime someone has an issue in their area. It comes to dollars and cents, nothing more than that. These companies are responsible to their shareholders more than their direct customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala