U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 9,703 times

Advertisements

yep, Ocala it's nice and safe, TV stories are mainstream bull**** like always....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 PM

464 posts, read 796,886 times
>>>>Obviously they are installing new Fiber Optic Lines in Ocala in select communities (as per the prior question for the OP)

Ahhh...grasshopper....You might want to ask yourself if you can afford both the Fiber Optic Lines AND the Electric bill in those fine, select communities. Personally, I opt for a Brighthouse Cable Modem and SECO electric. ( For those who don't know, SECO is a Co-op and is owned by it's user/members. )

Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 PM

4,019 posts, read 6,781,951 times
My comments were addressed to post #22 that there was no true high speed internet connections available in Ocala. Whether or not everyone can afford it is a whole different story, I can't justify it myself. I agree that Ocala Utilities are very expensive, but SECO is no bargain either.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM

23,417 posts, read 32,951,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
>>>>Obviously they are installing new Fiber Optic Lines in Ocala in select communities (as per the prior question for the OP)

Ahhh...grasshopper....You might want to ask yourself if you can afford both the Fiber Optic Lines AND the Electric bill in those fine, select communities. Personally, I opt for a Brighthouse Cable Modem and SECO electric. ( For those who don't know, SECO is a Co-op and is owned by it's user/members. )
And thats just lovely for you, but not everyone can get SECO and Brighthouse.
I live east of the Ocklawaha, and am forced to use Ocala Electric.
Brighthouse is less than a mile down the road, but I cant get that, either.
Grrrrrrrrrr.......

Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 PM

11 posts, read 32,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliblynch View Post
Hi, I live in Ct. and am longing to move to Florida-lived in West Palm before for approx. 5yrs. and stayed in Ocala for a few months. I loved the short stay, although I know nothing about Ocala. I still want to move there. How is the school system, my daughter will be going into 5th grade? Any jobs in hotel management? How is the rental apts. Paddock apts. I want something nice with pools, safe....etc.

hello, ocala is a rural community with a desperate unemployment situation so i would not recomend moving here. i graduated three years ago with a bachelors degree and i'm working 30hrs a week for $10 an hour and i'm lucky to have it!!

that being said ocala is no more riddled with crime than any other small city of our size. there are bad neighborhoods that should be avoided...

downtown, there are lots of nice houses but it is located right next to a rent rat neighborhood and the house we lived in was broken into by a crackhead who had used to do drugs with the people who lived there before us.
the shores, or silver springs shores, the houses look nice because they are newer but what they aren't showing you is that 4 out of 5 houses are abandoned.
avoid anything west of 441 until you reach i-75. the west side of strd 200 is nice and that's where i live. i don't have any kids so i can't comment on the schools, sorry. but there is a good college here that just became a four year college. i got my AA degree there before i went to university. it's not stellar but it is cheaper than going straight to a university.

you mentioned you lived in west palm; do you not have any desire to go that far south because the job market there is much better. i know it's not the most desirable of places but my sister lives in coral gables and she's doing great and i'm sure you could find a hotel job if you have experience.

if you do decide to move here this is that apartment complex i would recomend.

Highlands at Heathbrook Apartments, Ocala Apartments, Ocala Rent

good luck but like i said before jobs are so scarce i think you would do yourself a disservice by coming here.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 PM

464 posts, read 796,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
And thats just lovely for you, but not everyone can get SECO and Brighthouse.
I live east of the Ocklawaha, and am forced to use Ocala Electric.
Brighthouse is less than a mile down the road, but I cant get that, either.
Grrrrrrrrrr.......
I understand. Unlike the state I came from, you cannot choose your electric provider here. And I understand completely about Brighthouse. I had looked at a house that I assumed had Brighthouse. Like you, less than a mile away from a known BH location. I begged, pleaded, and even offered to split the cost, all to no avail. I was fortunate to have lived long enough in Ocala to figure out what I can and cannot live without, not to mention "afford." It took my realtor a bit of time to realize that I wouldn't even look at a home without SECO and BH. I am not trying to belittle those here on the board who can't get either one. Only trying to help those who are new to the area and want to make an informed choice.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 28,011 times
I didn't recheck this post for a bit -- and want to apologize to the horsey-set. I meant the horse industry had been hard hit, not that they caused Ocala's problems! It breaks my heart to see a single farm close, there is nothing like the horses roaming (especially with the babies/foals) to make you appreciate the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala