Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 PM

183 posts, read 1,134,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester View Post
It seems there are a lot of doublewides and mobiles for sale on 5-10 acre lots. It's crazy how many people build beautiful barns and put up nice 4-board fencing and then live in a mobile down here

what's the matter with that
I don't live in either but to some people they like the land, open area they don't need mansions as they are just fine with their little house, it gives them what they want, privacy and a roof over their head

just to ad living in one doesn't make then any less than the person who moves down here and buys a 1 million $ house in a housing association

Whoa... overeacting much? First of all, you mention you don't live in a mobile, let's start there. I moved here, Ocala, from NJ, and I'm currently living in a mobile. I am renting a mobile on a 1 acre fenced in lot, located on a 100 acre horse farm in the most expensive part of Ocala, the area near HITS. My horse is here, I love the open space, my dogs love the yard, we're saving a lot of money, it's a great situation. I get the whole, "love of land and open space and not needing a mansion" thing. That being said, after one purchases 5-10 acres of prime horse real estate, pays to have it fenced with 4 board fencing, and then pays to have the best barn built that money can buy, I don't understand how they can justify purchasing a trailer. This is Florida, after all, and storms- or tornadoes, as many in central FL learned this past year, can get you no matter where you live. With that in mind, and the track record of how mobiles hold up in extreme weather in comparison to other kinds of construction, it's hard for me to understand that choice. It seems to me these individuals are leaving themselves wide open to disaster. In conclusion, I'm not ripping on them for wanting a simple life, I enjoy that lifestyle myself. But I still wouldn't leave my financial and physical well-being to the mercy of paying to own a trailer and try to insure it in this area of the country. It seems to me that people who can spend that kind of money on clearing land and pasture fencing and barn building would be a lot safer and better off to, for the same or less money, live in a home on 1 acre or less and drive to a nice barn 10 mins away where they can board their horse(s). Just an observation, (and an accurate one at that) that was directed from one person from a toally different area (NJ) to another to let her know what her money will buy her down here in relation to what she is used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 10:14 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
John Travolta has a home in Ocala.

I live 25 minutes from Ocala and travel out there often for shopping. It is a nice area but is busy with traffic.
Doesn't John Travolta's house in Ocala have like a small landing strip for his airplane!!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:18 PM

183 posts, read 1,134,072 times
Yes, everyone says that, although I haven't seen it for myself. I'm not sure exactly where he lives...

Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
Doesn't John Travolta's house in Ocala have like a small landing strip for his airplane!!
John Travolta's House

Old 07-31-2007, 01:15 PM

415 posts, read 2,334,295 times
I miss Ocala, I took a job in SC, wish I had stayed in Ocala, or at least moved back to what I call home, TEXAS, but either way wish I had not moved to SC

Old 07-31-2007, 01:16 PM

Travolta lives in Jumbo Air estates about 15 miles North of Ocala,

Old 08-02-2007, 08:40 PM

51 posts, read 279,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
Travolta lives in Jumbo Air estates about 15 miles North of Ocala,
You can see the Travolta's Mansion in google earth map, is amazing

Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 AM

51 posts, read 279,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrein View Post
Yay for Ocala! Just moved here July 1st.
WELCOME, we're happy that people like you moves to our city

Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 AM

Ocala is a great place to live. I just moved out of Ocala about 9 months ago. The problem is the pay in the area is fairly low, hard to find a decent paying job .

Old 08-16-2007, 06:22 AM

403 posts, read 1,580,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrissey View Post
Before I take the decision to move to Ocala there were other places to choose. Maybe St. Pete, Largo, Fort Myers, Lakeland, Winter haven etc. I said to my wife that I'm going to take a little vacations by my self to explore Florida. After days driving in a rent car I found a perfect paradise in the middle of the state called Ocala. Is simply the best, a beautiful place to wake up every morning and to move with my family. The people here are very friendly and is in the real middle of Florida. Ocala is simply the best
There are a lot of people here from Key West in search of cheaper housing and taxes and cooler weather. Ocala has conch reunions there because of all the people from Key West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala