Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:29 PM

36 posts, read 131,808 times

Advertisements

What is the best area to rent or own? That is family friendly and has a good school program? Good elementary school? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 8,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester View Post
It seems there are a lot of doublewides and mobiles for sale on 5-10 acre lots. It's crazy how many people build beautiful barns and put up nice 4-board fencing and then live in a mobile down here

what's the matter with that
I don't live in either but to some people they like the land, open area they don't need mansions as they are just fine with their little house, it gives them what they want, privacy and a roof over their head

just to ad living in one doesn't make then any less than the person who moves down here and buys a 1 million $ house in a housing association
I agree.
I am planning on buying some land here and putting a doublewide on it.
That is all I need. Hell the dimensions on some double wides are the same as my 3 bedroom ranch back in CT.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:48 PM

174 posts, read 626,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigajohnson View Post
I agree.
I am planning on buying some land here and putting a doublewide on it.
That is all I need. Hell the dimensions on some double wides are the same as my 3 bedroom ranch back in CT.
Yeh but they aren't very effective when it blows 60 miles per hour...many cities are phasing out mobile homes. Unsightly, lower property taxes, easily damaged, negative connotation. We want to raise the standard of living in central florida not lower it....

Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM

41 posts, read 215,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
Travolta lives in Jumbo Air estates about 15 miles North of Ocala,
It's not "Jumbo Air" it's Jumbolair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
Ocala is a great place to live. I just moved out of Ocala about 9 months ago. The problem is the pay in the area is fairly low, hard to find a decent paying job .
I agree that the pay is low. I'm actually going to move out of Ocala in the near future for a better job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrissey View Post
Ocala is Growing too fast. If you work in the health care area you can find better opportunities.
Yes, Ocala is growing fast but the city is not keeping up with the new growth. If your into the health care field that is great but not everyone likes to work in that field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by complacent vagabond View Post
You can get out of it and see what you want to. I want to leave and experience different places, and I have stopped appreciated what is here ... but when I stop to look, it isn't bad at all, and with recent development, it is getting better.
I'm totally with you on that! I have lived in Ocala for 27 years and want to experience something new. It's good to see people moving here and enjoy it so much. Maybe I have been here too long and have seen the negative things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
More humid and buggy, limited culture, not much to do, more of the real south mentality. If you like that kinda of thing, it's probably a nice place to live, don't know for how long it will last with all the people moving there.
Yeah the southern hospitality is almost gone. I don't mind the heat but at this time of the year w/the humidity is gross. It's nicer on the coast where there is a bit more of a breeze and 4 degrees cooler. I hope more people live here so that I can sell my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
I have to agree with V1-P. There is not much in the way of jobs, the shopping is horrible, bad drivers, and there is just not much to do. However, the pace of life is nice, we are within an hour or two of all the best that Florida has to offer, and housing/rents are super low compared to other areas of Florida. And if you love horses, this is the place to be.
I agree. I know a couple that moved here from PA and they are struggling to pay their bills with their current job. I know that the housing is cheap and everyone is for that but they have to realize that the jobs are to equal that. So if your coming from up north please do your research.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:34 PM

41 posts, read 215,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamigirl0416 View Post
What is the best area to rent or own? That is family friendly and has a good school program? Good elementary school? Suggestions?
I think a decent area would be the NE Ocala side between HWY 40 & 17th street (maricamp). In that area the best Elementary school is R.L. Highlands. That area has decent access to much of the area. Historic Ocala is a little more upscale but very beautiful.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetWorld View Post
Yeh but they aren't very effective when it blows 60 miles per hour...many cities are phasing out mobile homes. Unsightly, lower property taxes, easily damaged, negative connotation. We want to raise the standard of living in central florida not lower it....
Well, that doesn't seem to be working out. Some of the people who tried to buy half million dollar homes and have now lost them maybe should've considered buying a mobile home.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:10 PM

14 posts, read 245,892 times
Default Yup, you said it! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Well, that doesn't seem to be working out. Some of the people who tried to buy half million dollar homes and have now lost them maybe should've considered buying a mobile home.

Yup, you're right on! One man's dump is another man's castle. A

Old 02-20-2009, 08:41 AM

14 posts, read 52,496 times
We are thinking of moving to the Ocala area, too, but I have heard so much conflticting information, now we are not sure. Can someone please answer the following...we are looking for a home in the 230,000 range, what would insurance and taxes be? Is there hurricane insurance...how much? We've heard lizards get into your house...is this true? How often and what other bugs get into the house? We would like a fenced in backyard so we can get a dog, are there a lot of covenants that don't allow fences and larger dogs? I'm getting my AAS degree in Clinical Lab Technology/Medical Technology and my husband is getting his BS in the same, can anyone tell me pay for these positions at these educational levels? Are there plenty of job openings in this area? Are there smaller towns outside Ocala that would be safer/less expensive than Ocala? We've heard the old people run around like two year olds on golf carts being rude to people, is this true? What is the average summer temp in Ocala and would having your own pool help to keep the heat from being so excruciating? We'd like to have a pool home. We are coming from Minnesota and can't stand these winters anymore. We don't want to make a mistake by leaving and going so far away, so any information anyone can tell me would be wonderful. I really need a Florida reality check.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:26 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_mom3 View Post
We are thinking of moving to the Ocala area, too, but I have heard so much conflticting information, now we are not sure. Can someone please answer the following...we are looking for a home in the 230,000 range, what would insurance and taxes be? Is there hurricane insurance...how much? We've heard lizards get into your house...is this true? How often and what other bugs get into the house? We would like a fenced in backyard so we can get a dog, are there a lot of covenants that don't allow fences and larger dogs? I'm getting my AAS degree in Clinical Lab Technology/Medical Technology and my husband is getting his BS in the same, can anyone tell me pay for these positions at these educational levels? Are there plenty of job openings in this area? Are there smaller towns outside Ocala that would be safer/less expensive than Ocala? We've heard the old people run around like two year olds on golf carts being rude to people, is this true? What is the average summer temp in Ocala and would having your own pool help to keep the heat from being so excruciating? We'd like to have a pool home. We are coming from Minnesota and can't stand these winters anymore. We don't want to make a mistake by leaving and going so far away, so any information anyone can tell me would be wonderful. I really need a Florida reality check.
I have lived in Ocala for 20 years, so I will try to answer your questions as best I can.
1. Yes, there are bugs, and yes, an occasional lizard WILL get in the house, so if you have a thing about bugs, Ocala might not be for you.
2. Yes, hurricane ins is available.
3. It gets hot here, I would say 88F is the average temp here, summer lasts from April to November, in the worst months the humidity is close to 100%.
4. I am sure there are jobs in your field, its about the only field where there are jobs, but they are not well-paying.
5. If you stay away from the subdivisions with HOA's you will be fine with fences and dogs.
6. Yes, the old folks run around in golf carts, but only in the retirement communities they reside in.
The economy here is not in good shape at all here, a high rate of unemployment, and businesses folding up all over the place.
I am sure some of the cheerleaders on this thread will refute everything I have just told you, but its all true.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 AM

20 posts, read 87,007 times
i am still considering a move to the area, my friend lives in dunnellon, and she also suggested ocala for me and my kids....where are the less diverse areas with good schools and safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala