Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 PM

57 posts, read 296,949 times

Advertisements

Although I am sure very few people care but the library in Ocala Florida is awful. Can you believe in a town that is 50,000 or more does not even have multiple copies of classics like 1984,Catcher on the Rye,or any other classic book you can imagine. You have to reserve these books just to get a copy!!!!! Yet there is an abundance of outdated coffe table books and Reader's Digest history books. The library looks nice but most of the books look as if they came from a yard sale.

Talk about a waste of tax payer's with a new library building but little money invested in books. Not that the average resident of Marion County really cares though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:01 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,694 times
Not to mention that I think they ordered all of their DVDs and videos from the Documentary Channel. I took my daughter there to see if they had any good ones that she would enjoy when our Dishnetwork was out and we were sorely disapointed.

Normally I use the library here in good ole Dunnellon, but once a month I trek on out to the library in Ocala for a meeting with my support group and I ussually try to get there a bit early so I can browse. I am not really into classics so I would not have noticed how many of them they have, but I have noticed that they really do not have a lot of up to date books on the things that I am interested in.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:42 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,492 times
We stopped going to the library because it is a sorry excuse of a public resource if I have ever seen one! We are used to so much more.

Now I just go to the book stores in town, all of my children love to read, so I do not mind spending the money.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_being_myself View Post
Although I am sure very few people care but the library in Ocala Florida is awful. Can you believe in a town that is 50,000 or more does not even have multiple copies of classics like 1984,Catcher on the Rye,or any other classic book you can imagine. You have to reserve these books just to get a copy!!!!! Yet there is an abundance of outdated coffe table books and Reader's Digest history books. The library looks nice but most of the books look as if they came from a yard sale.

Talk about a waste of tax payer's with a new library building but little money invested in books. Not that the average resident of Marion County really cares though.
Thats one thing you can say for Fort Lauderdale, we have one of the best libraries in the country. They have a section of dvd's that is like blockbuster. Floor after floor (6) of books. A theater with frequent productions. I got ten dvd's today the Bowery boy's (I live them) and Cyrano De Bergerac with Jose Ferrer. If you want they have the complete Sopranos series. I used to be a library addict till the internet came out but I still love to go. I know it is one of the things I will miss about Fort lauderdale.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:19 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Quote:

Link to county office, let them know how you feel and they will get back to you.

EMail the Webmaster

Ocala Freedom Public Library Marion County Public Library System 5870 S.W. 95th Street 3522916040
Ocala Marion Oaks Public Library Marion County Public Library System 294 Marion Oaks Lane 3523477954
Ocala Ocala Public Library Marion County Public Library System 15 Southeast Osceola Avenue 3526298551

Old 08-02-2007, 06:09 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
Just a bit south, Leesburg is building a brand new library building.....it may be done now, (haven't been there since Feb).....I'm looking forward to checking it out (no pun intended).

Frank D.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:44 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,492 times
Belleview is closer to Ocala, they too are getting a brand new library ( I hope it is better). The one in Marion oaks is TINY, I swear it is less than 1500 sq ft and is HORRID! The Freedom Public building is newer, but is still poorly stocked.

I know that in GA, NY, OH, TX and even in AL we had great libraries all with in minutes of you... Here you have to leave the county? Pish Posh!

Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Thats one thing you can say for Fort Lauderdale, we have one of the best libraries in the country. They have a section of dvd's that is like blockbuster. Floor after floor (6) of books. A theater with frequent productions. I got ten dvd's today the Bowery boy's (I love them) and Cyrano De Bergerac with Jose Ferrer. If you want they have the complete Sopranos series. I used to be a library addict till the internet came out but I still love to go. I know it is one of the things I will miss about Fort lauderdale.
http://www.fausbdc.com/clientuploads/_photos/Building_Pictures/BrowardMainLib.JPG (broken link)

Old 08-15-2007, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 7,610 times
Quote:

I agree and I'm a Librarian (not here). I know many in the "higher positions" here are pretty much life-long residents. I'm thinking maybe that's not a good thing because apparently they haven't been exposed to enough libraries that are more customer service oriented and libraries that do things differently from how they do things here...and the location sucks. I also know there is some frequent librarian turnover here so maybe librarians with dissenting viewpoints may not be welcome (?)

Old 04-23-2008, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 30,458 times
I agree the library needs some updating.... however, the comparison to Ocala libraries to libraries in Fort Lauderdale would have to take into account the amount of higher education organizations in each place.

Fort Lauderdale is in much more effected by the demand that higher education places on the library system....

Last edited by sunrico90; 04-23-2008 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Link not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala