U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2011, 03:07 PM
 
72 posts, read 163,683 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

A friend of mine moved to Ocala and he says that some of the people that live there are a little off. I have been told that there are a lot of unhappy people living in Ocala that try to make other people unhappy. I was also told that the only normal people in Ocala are the retired folks who moved there or spend winter time there temporarily.

I did research on Ocala and the average income is low. The percentage of college educated people is also low.

Is this the reason why so many people in Ocala have such an irritable and cynical disposition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 7,438,750 times
Reputation: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLeader View Post
Is this the reason why so many people in Ocala have such an irritable and cynical disposition?
It could be the same reason why a lot of people bash Florida. They do minimal research and assume every city is on the beach and has a tropical feel. They forget that they have to earn an income, or they come down without jobs lined up. The worst of all is that some people move here and expect everything here to be like it was back home (the best example being when people move to Florida from New York City and then complain about our lack of comprehensive public transportation in most areas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2011, 05:42 AM
 
4 posts, read 27,741 times
Reputation: 17
Nail on the head bro. The only thing I can think of is the fact that Ocala is so isolated. Its surrounded by woods and had no real connection to other cities. So after a few generations...the inbreeding really starts to show. Its like Deliverance meets The Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
4,025 posts, read 6,784,351 times
Reputation: 3840
Don't forget that when you mix a cesspool and a septic tank, you don't get Evian (bottled water). Just kidding of course.

Been in Ocala for over 30 years and I do like the area. It is a wonderful place to live, despite all of the routine stereotypes. The community has it's unique elements but it is very nice. Not much more than 90 minutes away from several major cities (Tampa, Orlando, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Daytona) due to it's central location in North Central Florida. I say, don't judge it until you have had lived here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM
 
4 posts, read 27,741 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Don't forget that when you mix a cesspool and a septic tank, you don't get Evian (bottled water). Just kidding of course.

Been in Ocala for over 30 years and I do like the area. It is a wonderful place to live, despite all of the routine stereotypes. The community has it's unique elements but it is very nice. Not much more than 90 minutes away from several major cities (Tampa, Orlando, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Daytona) due to it's central location in North Central Florida. I say, don't judge it until you have had lived here.

I've lived here for 7 years. I really do like the show pace and its quiet for the most part. But the OP's friend does have a point. Some of the people here are completely unhinged. I've never met so many bi-polar people in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2011, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,417 posts, read 32,955,223 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich View Post
Nail on the head bro. The only thing I can think of is the fact that Ocala is so isolated. Its surrounded by woods and had no real connection to other cities. So after a few generations...the inbreeding really starts to show. Its like Deliverance meets The Village.
Gross generalization much?
Perhaps you should start hanging out with a better class of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 AM
 
4 posts, read 27,741 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Gross generalization much?
Perhaps you should start hanging out with a better class of people.

ZING!!

Is this your way of extending an invitation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 12,588,928 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLeader View Post
A friend of mine moved to Ocala and he says that some of the people that live there are a little off. I have been told that there are a lot of unhappy people living in Ocala that try to make other people unhappy. I was also told that the only normal people in Ocala are the retired folks who moved there or spend winter time there temporarily.
Your friend may be the one with a problem. We were there part of last winter and found the people friendly and warm.

Quote:
I did research on Ocala and the average income is low. The percentage of college educated people is also low.
Is this the reason why so many people in Ocala have such an irritable and cynical disposition?
Since when does an education and income make people happy or unhappy. Some of the happiest people I've met in my life were those with the least material possessions and educations and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2011, 10:27 PM
 
72 posts, read 163,683 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Your friend may be the one with a problem. We were there part of last winter and found the people friendly and warm.



Since when does an education and income make people happy or unhappy. Some of the happiest people I've met in my life were those with the least material possessions and educations and vice versa.
My friend is a very likeable person.


I did not say anything about material possessions.


People with an education are more well rounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2011, 11:54 AM
 
34 posts, read 120,077 times
Reputation: 92
Here's how I will answer about Ocala. I went through 12 years of school in Ocala. Served in the Navy and was stationed in several cities, both north and south, and have been to European cities. I have lived and worked in several states. When I retired I could have lived any place, I moved back to Ocala and will never leave. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating." "Everyone has an opinion." We all have different taste." "Some people never have friends or a good word about anyone." "I never met a man I didn't like." We each decide how our lives will turn out. We're lucky that we live in a big country and can move at will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top