U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 PM

4 posts, read 18,748 times

Advertisements

Okay - here is the skinny . . .

I live in Florida and gave my landlord the 60 day notice in writing, verbal, and certified mail that I would not renew my lease. My lease ends on 07/31/2011 at noon.

All is good, then my LL decides to use a third party for rentals and ask if it is alright to show the property to Mgt. company for about 30 minutes (this was less than 48 hours notice and was sent at 1:00 p.m. via e-mail for a Wed. morning showing). I saw it is fine, but if at all possible can we move it to the following week as I am in the beginning stages of moving and have boxes and sort piles all over and the house has a couple of rooms that can not be accessed at this time due to my "sorting". Anyway, long story short, LL agrees and we move everything to this past Monday.

Yesterday at 4:45 p.m. I receive a call saying Landscapers will be at the property to clean off the roof and remove some of the overgrown vegitation at the front of the house. It is also mentioned that a couple of areas in the driveway will be patched. I say fine (keep in mind this is less than 24 hrs notice).

Today, I get a call asking if my husband can move his truck from the driveway entirely so the "concrete can be poured". I explain that my husband is the only one with keys to the truck and can not get back to the property until later this evening. Then it comes out that I need to move the truck and that they will pour the concrete and I WILL NOT HAVE USE OF THE DRIVE WAY FOR 3 TO 4 DAYS.

I explain this is unacceptable since I have property in the garage that I need to access with my moving tralier and that I will be moving property from the house and can not carry it all the way accross the yard to place the items in my tralier on the street. I asked if the driveway could be repaired after my move out date and I was told that the property can not be shown until this repair is done. I have lived at this property for nearly four years and now the driveway is an issue?

Then the LL informed me that the driveway would be repaired on Tuesday; again I explained this was a "cosmetic" issue and that it was unacceptable since I would need access to the driveway and my personal property until my lease is up.

What are my rights? I could understand if this was a major issue due to a watermain busting, but the reasoning is purely cosmetic. FYI this is a private home with a 2 car detached garage that has an attached screen porch walk area. If I do not have access to the garage, then I have to take my property out the side door of the garage, go through the screen porch, enter the house, to go out the front door of the house to the front of the street.

I also have a young child and do not like the idea of having to get her in and out of the car on a busy street because I can not access the driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 01:14 AM

7,201 posts, read 12,603,894 times
It's best to contact a local lawyer to find out what your rights as a renter are. I doubt there are any lawyers on this board.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM

4,061 posts, read 6,804,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
It's best to contact a local lawyer to find out what your rights as a renter are. I doubt there are any lawyers on this board.

Agreed, that is the best advice anyone can offer on this forum.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:18 AM

19 posts, read 21,230 times
This is known as tenant intimidation. They are trying to get you to move out early. They probably already have a renter who is asking for these changes.

I used to work for a real estate lawyer, so here is what I know. They can ask, but as long as you are in possession of the property and not in violation of the lease, they have no right to force you to do anything. Tell them very firmly "NO" and leave the truck where it is. Everything in real estate needs to be in writing, so write them a certified letter stating that you are still in possession of the property and do not want anyone doing anything to the property until you leave. You have that right, unless your lease says otherwise. If it doesn't, they can't touch you or the driveway. If they do, get an attorney.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:41 AM

509 posts, read 1,521,006 times
Wow! All anyone can say is "lawyer, lawyer, lawyer"? What about meeting the landlord for coffee or drinks, having a pleasant conversation and coming to some kind of understanding? Sounds to me like this all comes down to frazzled nerves, miss-communications and misunderstandings. Rights? You are leaving and the landlord has a right to improve his property. Can't we all just get along?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 AM

4,061 posts, read 6,804,433 times
The reason to contact a lawyer is to prevent any misinformation and to avoid a future "oops". There is a good reason to contact a lawyer in this case to protect the tenant's rights. The laws are balanced toward the tenant's rights but the average person may not know their rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or