U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,592 times

Advertisements

Greetings to all! My husband and I do Greyhound rescue in Knoxville Tn and are planning to relo to Fl. Would anyone know of a safe area to live either in Ocala or other neighboring cities? We are semi retired and plan to start a small handy work business, or perhaps pet grooming. Also our son wants to leave the cold Knoxville winters, he is a machine operator in manufacturing and distribution, is there any manufacturing in these areas? We visited Ocala and found it to be very friendly and beautiful. We do not want to live in the 55+ area, but maybe a private urban setting. Houses are at an unbelievable price, seems to good to be true. God bless,

Last edited by lois renko; 07-24-2011 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: greyhound lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 AM

4,066 posts, read 6,812,087 times
I can assure you that there are plenty of properties in the Ocala area to consider. I think you don't want to be in the city limits for a dog rescue operation. You can be as close as 15 minutes from Ocala and be far enough away to not worry about bothering your neighbors. I do wish you the best of luck.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 AM

230 posts, read 485,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lois renko View Post
Greetings to all! My husband and I do Greyhound rescue in Knoxville Tn and are planning to relo to Fl. Would anyone know of a safe area to live either in Ocala or other neighboring cities? We are semi retired and plan to start a small handy work business, or perhaps pet grooming. Also our son wants to leave the cold Knoxville winters, he is a machine operator in manufacturing and distribution, is there any manufacturing in these areas? We visited Ocala and found it to be very friendly and beautiful. We do not want to live in the 55+ area, but maybe a private urban setting. Houses are at an unbelievable price, seems to good to be true. God bless,
Have you been here before? I can assure you, with first hand experience of both areas, the winters here can be brutally cold. There will be no respite for that issue found here I'm afraid.

Ocala is possibly one of the most anti small business communities I've personally experienced so it's something you should intensely research prior to moving.

E-1 is the major manufacturing employer here but there are things to consider with that as well. Such as, E-1 has threatened to relocate damn near a dozen times. etc. etc.

Also, it is too good to be true with regards to housing prices. If you are considering a short sale please have appropriate battle gear ready. It's a process I don't wish on anyone. I handled an entire acquisition process for my parents this past year as well as another one for a friend. It was neither easy or pleasant to say the least. Furthermore, on the same subject, a fair bit of the screaming deals where in the upper echelon of price points and they have all but been gobbled up. Truly, there were some amazing deals above 300k and even more so above 500k. The 90k-150k homes you are most likely referring to, are in areas you wouldn't want to live.

Coming from Knoxville you will be dealing with increased humidity, drastically increased crime rates, and a glaring lack of southeren hospitality. That is not a subjective measurement.

Myself, I can not fathom why someone would move from Knoxville to Ocala for not only the reasons I've listed but the many more I lack time to expound on. You desperately need to spend a week or two here before deciding. For your sakes.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:37 PM

11 posts, read 32,194 times
Default to each their own

some of what CMK said is true but it's not as bad as he paints it.

i bought my first house last year for 110K and it is not in an undesirable area at all. we live on the west state road 200 side of ocala; there are beautiful shopping centers and everything is within easy access. the housing market here is still very soft so there are many good deals. the house we bought was not in forclosure or a short sale and we got over thirty thousand less than her original asking price. zillow.com has a tool where you can see how much house are selling in a neighborhood per square foot and that is what we did and would not go any higher. of course it was the fourth house we had bid on and while i do love the house you have to make business decisions instead of emotional decisions. stay away from these areas, downtown ocala, the shores (or silver spring shores, same place), and NW Ocala. these are all more economically depressed areas.

the winters are way milder than up north. we do get cold here of course it's not 78 degrees year around but it never gets below the 20's and that's at 3am. you can see the weather averages yourself on this site.

it is a hard place to start a business; my parents started one twenty years ago and it still makes enough to pay the bills but it has never thrived. the problem is a lot of repeat services for instance dog grooming; there are a ton of dog groomers in ocala! so you would have a lot of competition.

manurfacturing is one of the few places where is see jobs available. florida has a great non spam website called employflorida.com you have to register but it is well worth it.

you can also see by the data provided by this website that crime is far higher in knoxville than ocala. i generally find people very nice and southern hospitality still strong but of course there are always mean people and there are alway people whose dog may have died that day and they are in a bad mood.

all that being said i wouldn't move here if i was you; there are no jobs. i work part time and i'm lucky to have it. bottling companies rape our water from us and the seniors use tons of resources but don't pay taxes so we are in a very tight spot. move to south florida, it's very hispanic but job prospects are much better and you can still get a good deal on a house.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDee88 View Post
some of what CMK said is true but it's not as bad as he paints it.

i bought my first house last year for 110K and it is not in an undesirable area at all. we live on the west state road 200 side of ocala; there are beautiful shopping centers and everything is within easy access. the housing market here is still very soft so there are many good deals. the house we bought was not in forclosure or a short sale and we got over thirty thousand less than her original asking price. zillow.com has a tool where you can see how much house are selling in a neighborhood per square foot and that is what we did and would not go any higher. of course it was the fourth house we had bid on and while i do love the house you have to make business decisions instead of emotional decisions. stay away from these areas, downtown ocala, the shores (or silver spring shores, same place), and NW Ocala. these are all more economically depressed areas.

the winters are way milder than up north. we do get cold here of course it's not 78 degrees year around but it never gets below the 20's and that's at 3am. you can see the weather averages yourself on this site.

it is a hard place to start a business; my parents started one twenty years ago and it still makes enough to pay the bills but it has never thrived. the problem is a lot of repeat services for instance dog grooming; there are a ton of dog groomers in ocala! so you would have a lot of competition.

manurfacturing is one of the few places where is see jobs available. florida has a great non spam website called employflorida.com you have to register but it is well worth it.

you can also see by the data provided by this website that crime is far higher in knoxville than ocala. i generally find people very nice and southern hospitality still strong but of course there are always mean people and there are alway people whose dog may have died that day and they are in a bad mood.

all that being said i wouldn't move here if i was you; there are no jobs. i work part time and i'm lucky to have it. bottling companies rape our water from us and the seniors use tons of resources but don't pay taxes so we are in a very tight spot. move to south florida, it's very hispanic but job prospects are much better and you can still get a good deal on a house.
Been here since 1989. Was a LEO here for years. I left the Sheriff's Office this year. You're wrong about the temps never getting below 20. I can assure you they do. And you are DAMN wrong about the crime. Crime reporting is a game politicians play. There is no uniform practice for the reporting of crimes to agencies who collect this data furthermore there is no uniform way of recording crimes in house. Let me perfectly frank with you, the statistics are a flat out lie in Marion County. I'll stake my eternal soul on the truth of that statement.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:02 AM

11 posts, read 32,194 times
Default not trying to disagree but i disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Been here since 1989. Was a LEO here for years. I left the Sheriff's Office this year. You're wrong about the temps never getting below 20. I can assure you they do. And you are DAMN wrong about the crime. Crime reporting is a game politicians play. There is no uniform practice for the reporting of crimes to agencies who collect this data furthermore there is no uniform way of recording crimes in house. Let me perfectly frank with you, the statistics are a flat out lie in Marion County. I'll stake my eternal soul on the truth of that statement.

well i've lived here since 1979 when i was born here. the winters are in every way milder than anywhere else in the continental US except maybe southern california. don't take my word for it, google it. the lowest recorded temperature in ocala 12 degrees, lowest recorded temp in knoxville -24, so we're talking about a difference of over 30 degrees. it may get to 18 once or twice a winter but if we had sustained temps below 20 we would have snow and we no not have snow.

anywho i will take you at your word for the lack of a uniform way to records crimes but i think you might be biased because of your former profession. if city-data's records are off they would have to be off by a lot to make ocala a more dangerous place than knoxville. 2009 per 100,000 people ocala 3 murders, knox 22, rapes, ocala 41, knox 147, robberies, ocala 160, knox 660, and so on. you have to be vigiliant everywhere and especially in a bad economy. hell in 2006 a crackhead broke into our house at 4am but mr. glockenspiel kept him at bay until the police came and there must have been 8 cops there within 2 minutes of calling 911 of course we were downtown (which i do not recomend living).

so ocala is not a utopian paradise and once again i do not recomend moving here because of the terrible job situation but it is hardly a crime on every street corner land of frost.

also don't move to orlando, lived there for college, loved it but they are in a terrible financial situation. move more south, even milder winters when you get closer to the ocean.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 AM

4,927 posts, read 6,417,625 times
Thoughtful posts, SweetDee88. It's kind of a shame what has happened with the Ocala area. It was a wonderful place in the 1950's and 60's, I thought.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 AM

4,066 posts, read 6,812,087 times
Quote:
.....it may get to 18 once or twice a winter but if we had sustained temps below 20 we would have snow and we no not have snow.
I relocated to the Ocala area in 1980 and yes it can snow. Most recently, on December 3, 2010 there was a light dusting of snow in much of Ocala. It did not stay for more than a couple of days. I still have some pictures in my cell phone to show it and the Ocala Star Banner featured pictures of minature snowmen crafted as a result. No roads were shut down and nothing significant occured as a result. It can snow, albeit very rarely and I remember in the mid 1980's having several days in a row of temperatures below 20 degrees.

But back to reality, this is a rare event for Ocala and if it snows, most of it melts the second it touches down to the ground.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
well i've lived here since 1979 when i was born here. the winters are in every way milder than anywhere else in the continental US except maybe southern california. don't take my word for it, google it. the lowest recorded temperature in ocala 12 degrees, lowest recorded temp in knoxville -24, so we're talking about a difference of over 30 degrees. it may get to 18 once or twice a winter but if we had sustained temps below 20 we would have snow and we no not have snow.

anywho i will take you at your word for the lack of a uniform way to records crimes but i think you might be biased because of your former profession. if city-data's records are off they would have to be off by a lot to make ocala a more dangerous place than knoxville. 2009 per 100,000 people ocala 3 murders, knox 22, rapes, ocala 41, knox 147, robberies, ocala 160, knox 660, and so on. you have to be vigiliant everywhere and especially in a bad economy. hell in 2006 a crackhead broke into our house at 4am but mr. glockenspiel kept him at bay until the police came and there must have been 8 cops there within 2 minutes of calling 911 of course we were downtown (which i do not recomend living).

so ocala is not a utopian paradise and once again i do not recomend moving here because of the terrible job situation but it is hardly a crime on every street corner land of frost.

also don't move to orlando, lived there for college, loved it but they are in a terrible financial situation. move more south, even milder winters when you get closer to the ocean.
Yikes....

Way too much to get into. I'm afraid you are woefully misinformed on crime "statistics". Not sure how you arrived at the bias comment. If anything my experience qualifies my opinion as informed and accurate.

At any rate, we do agree on advising the OP to avoid Ocala. Ocala was a great city once.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 PM

1,711 posts, read 2,758,017 times
I lived in Knoxville out off of Clinton Hwy and about a mile east of the World's Fair for awhile. As for crime, I feel way safer here than in Knox. I got a chuckle about cold Tennessee winters, as I have also lived in Michigan. It can get high teens, low 20's for a few days but then there is relief, it won't stick around long (2010 was a major aberration, broke 50 year old records).

Not much in the way of manufacturing around here, that's more of a Tampa/Orlando thing and it's too far to drive everyday.

I'd look into Inverness or more specifically Hernando (that's where I live) where US 41 and SR 200 come together. I think Citrus County has more going for it these days than Marion does. I hear a lot of Ocala folks saying electric costs are ridiculous up that way, we have SECO down here and they are reasonable. I wouldn't hesitate to start a biz around here, half the battle is just showing up on time and doing a good job for a fair price, something a lot of these clowns around here can't seem to grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or