U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 01:24 PM

219 posts, read 478,009 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of buying a retirement home there. Naturally, we will visit and see how we like it, etc. Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of how much a medium sized home is in a nice area? Nothing fancy, just my wife and I. Any advice, etc. would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 PM

4,036 posts, read 6,791,742 times
According to Zillow.com the average home price in Gainesville, FL is $131,700. Keep in mind that the size of the home, amount of land, property and home features, neighborhood will affect the price. Without more information of what you are looking for (bedrooms/baths, square footage, amount of land, neighborhoods) it will be difficult to offer any more exact estimate. Obviously you will find homes both higher and lower in price. There are many fantastic home bargains in FL due to the current home crisis.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:43 AM

509 posts, read 1,520,496 times
Gainesville has a lot to choose from. It depends on whether you want to be in town, where the homes are older, but still nice, or out a bit where there is more new construction. New construction 3/2 homes are around 150k to 200k. Some of the neighborhoods around Jonesville/Tioga/Haile are a bit higher, but there really is a nice variety. I'm sure you can find somethiing in your range. There are some nice retirement homes near West End and in Newberry - close enough to be convenient, but out of the hustle and bustle. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 AM

53 posts, read 128,486 times
We have lived in Gainesville for 16 years. If you are wanting a nice area, I think that you should expect to spend around $250K. What made you think of Gainesville?

Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candacew View Post
We have lived in Gainesville for 16 years. If you are wanting a nice area, I think that you should expect to spend around $250K. What made you think of Gainesville?
Well, I guess our version of "nice" must be REALLY different. $250K is high, but again, varies by area.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 AM

7 posts, read 9,867 times
I live in GNV and also think that the amount I'd sugest would be $250k. I live in the NW in a 2006 3/2 2k sq/f home and around me that is the ball park price that similar houses are going for

Old 08-23-2011, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 27,728 times
My friend bought a nice, small 3 BR home in Duck Pond for around $85,000. It's not a bad neighborhood, very up and coming. NW is the best place to live, and you can find homes there around $100-150,000, of course, depending on what type of house you want. If you want a fancy, gated community, then yes, $250,00 is going to be it, but there are a lot of areas of Gainesville where you can buy for less than that, especially if you only want a 2BR or maybe a condo.

Plus, because the University pays no taxes, property taxes are outrageously high.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 AM

2 posts, read 16,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
My wife and I are thinking of buying a retirement home there. Naturally, we will visit and see how we like it, etc. Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of how much a medium sized home is in a nice area? Nothing fancy, just my wife and I. Any advice, etc. would be appreciated.
we bought and sold a house on the ne side of town.fair price good pple around us.the 1 thing U need to know is ur el bill will be $ 400 a month or more and it will just keep going up.down town gainesville is nice.but parking sucks!!if U all want a nice place too live try the villages.my mom and dad have been there for 3 years and love it.we have work in gainesville for 8 years and live there for 3. we will never live in gainesville.because of high EL bills !!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Again, the higher housing costs AND higher utility bills are in Gainesville. If you live just outide of town, such as Melrose to the east or Newberry to the west, your cost of living is less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala