U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 PM

13 posts, read 27,197 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I'm single, retired with two dogs, and currently living in the Western U.S.. I need to move by the first of April, and I want to live in a country area, relatively close to the Gulf Coast, and not more than an hour drive from a major airport. I've found some homes on small acreages in the Dunnellon area that fit my budget. However, I've just read on a post that Dunnellon is full of drugs, drunks, and 4-wheelers that drive up and down the roads day and night. One of the homes I'm considering is in the Mini Farms area, and the other is slightly southwest of Dunnellon on an acre. I won't be able to visit the area I move to ahead of time, so I seriously need advice! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:50 AM

4,036 posts, read 6,789,345 times
Default Couldn't be any more wrong...

Dunnellon is only about 15 minutes from Ocala. Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa are only about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away. Gainesville is less than 1 hour away.

Don't believe all of the hype of drugs, drunks and 4-wheelers terrorizing people. I have lived in the area since 1980 and went to High School in Dunnellon. All cities/towns have some issues in certain areas but don't paint the entire area with the same brush. Most areas are very quiet and peaceful. Don't be afraid to ask a local realtor to find specific areas for you.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 6,882 times
need to know about wild animals snakes gators ect

Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM

4,036 posts, read 6,789,345 times
If you are in Florida, everyone deals with wildlife in some form or another. Most critters avoid people at all costs and such confrontations are rare. Yes, snakes and alligators are abundant but they are not likely to bother you.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 PM

228 posts, read 819,587 times
LIved in Dunnellon and hated it, but then I was always a suburban girl! Never saw a snake but plenty of bugs. Spiders and scorpions are the things I hate the most! And yes they are big, and yes they do bite. We lived in Rolling Hills section, as far as wildlife, from my house I had seen, racoons w/and w/o family, birds of prey. (If you have a very small dog be very careful with them, as my Vet said the birds can and have scooped small pets away) Florida panther, armadillos and varied other wildlife.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,882 times
thanx but i have big dogs not scared yet

Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 PM

13 posts, read 25,101 times
My parents live there and have lived there for the last 30 years. I practicaly grew up there. It is a nice and quiet town. Everything closes at 8 pm. I have never seen drugs, drunks or anything else that resembles what you say. Alot of retirees live there. If you like small town life then it will be for you. You got the Rainbow river, Withlacoochee and not far from the coast. You will be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala