U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:24 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,951,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Edited because there was a post after mine that accused the newspaper of telling a blatant lie:

The newspaper didn't say that people could just walk right in without paying. Yes, you have to have a ticket. But almost half of those tickets are GIVEN away with promotions. The end result - those people showing up with tickets, who didn't pay, didn't pay.

Okay, I did the math based on the limited data provide by the actual article. Between 1500 and 3000 typically attend this event, and pay either 30 or 40 bucks per person, depending on whether they pay in advance or at the door. So let's just average the whole thing out: 2250 average attendance. But only half of them pay anything at all, so that's an average of 35 bucks per person, paid by 1125 people.

So 1125 x 35 = 39,375 is the gross revenue for the above averages, representing past typical averages. We'll call this situation #1.

The new idea is to have only 300 people attending, paying either 150 per couple, or 100 per person. I'm guessing most people will come as couples, so let's call it a healthy 75%, or 225 people paying $150, and 75 people paying $100. 75x100 = 7500. 225x75 (the amount per person if you go as a couple paying $150 per couple) = 16,875. 7500+16875=24375

We'll call the new gig situation #2; with a gross revenue of only $24,375

Now let's deal with the costs: assume $15 per person. That's pretty cheap for a per-person cost of a big-deal to-do, including the food (those restaurants aren't giving this stuff away), tents in situation #1, venue in situation #2, parking attendants, maintenence crew, police overtime and security, random and sundry permit and food vendor fees.

In situation #1, we're dealing with a cost of an average of 2250 actually attending. 2250x15= $33,750 total cost.
Subtract the cost from the gross revenue and the charity is gaining $39,375-33,750= $5,625

In situation #2, we're dealing with a cost of 300 people actually attending. 300x15=$4,500 total cost.
Subtract the cost from the gross revenue and the charity is gaining $24,375-$4,500=$19,875

So situation #1 stands to gain $5,625. Situation #2 stands to gain $19,875.

Even if situation #2 turns out to be a bust and only half the people expected buy a ticket, they'll still be gaining $9,937.50 which is $4,612.50 more than situation #1 does. PLUS situation #2 gets the added bonus of less cleanup time, on the part of the venue workers AND the restaurants, less traffic, less traffic congestion, which results in fewer police overtime hours and lower risk of traffic accidents, which -could- result in lower insurance fees...

I'll stick with situation #2, Johnny, for the win.
Nice hypothesis, but thats all it is.
BTW, I didnt accuse the Blunder of a blatant lie, lets get the words right, shall we?
Love how you dont live here either, and have never been to a TOO, and really dont know what the heck is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,548,290 times
The answer is simple:

Tighter control of who gets into the usual Taste of Ocala. Don't let people get in for free unless they're the people you're renting your tent from. I can't imagine where they're getting the idea that half of the people at Taste of Ocala aren't paying.

It used to be pretty well controlled, but the event has swelled in recent years because people are looking for something fun to do within the county and that's what ToO has been known to be. Most of the other festivals and such take place in areas that aren't too safe for wandering around because they're right on a major highway, or they're putting a bunch of stuff in one place and not thinking about how many people will be crowded in there (case in point, Light Up Ocala).

3,000 at $35 each? $105,000.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:53 PM

5,646 posts, read 4,300,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
In a downmarket economy the folks putting on this event decide to triple the price of a ticket and make it "exclusive"?
Really?
The 24th Taste of Ocala will be a black tie-optional event on May 5 inside the Ewers Century Center. | Ocala.com
I was not impressed with the management of the event. When I was a massage therapist, my partner and I each donated a one hour massage to be auctioned off. The person we were working with was completely ungrateful for the donation and acted like it was a huge pain to give us proof of donation for our taxes. Never again.
ETA: Now I've confused myself. Maybe this was not the event we donated to, is there another big event hosted by CF?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I was not impressed with the management of the event. When I was a massage therapist, my partner and I each donated a one hour massage to be auctioned off. The person we were working with was completely ungrateful for the donation and acted like it was a huge pain to give us proof of donation for our taxes. Never again.
ETA: Now I've confused myself. Maybe this was not the event we donated to, is there another big event hosted by CF?
You must be thinking of another event, there are several.
ToO has never done an auction, its strictly a tasting event.
I am not shocked in the slightest that you would not be impressed by the management of the event you are thinking of, as its usually done by schools staff, whose skill sets dont run to managing large events.
BTW, may I ask who you worked for when you did massage therapy here?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 PM

10,759 posts, read 9,457,006 times
Let me just state up front that I don't know anything about this event and I just stumbled on this post.

However, my husband is a successful restauranteur and has done similar events all over the country.

It is industry standard to donate the food. The only time you ever get paid for the food is if you get to keep the ticket revenue.

Usually you pay one price at the door (this money goes to charity) and then buy the food or buy tickets to purchase food.

Restaurants do this for the exposure and marketing.

I agree with the OP that they are kind of shooting themselves in the foot trying to make it an upmarket event. You are still going to have the same amount of freeloaders. Making it upscale doesn't rid you of those people who don't pay.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Let me just state up front that I don't know anything about this event and I just stumbled on this post.

However, my husband is a successful restauranteur and has done similar events all over the country.

It is industry standard to donate the food. The only time you ever get paid for the food is if you get to keep the ticket revenue.

Usually you pay one price at the door (this money goes to charity) and then buy the food or buy tickets to purchase food.

Restaurants do this for the exposure and marketing.

I agree with the OP that they are kind of shooting themselves in the foot trying to make it an upmarket event. You are still going to have the same amount of freeloaders. Making it upscale doesn't rid you of those people who don't pay.
The way its done at ToO is one price at the door, thats it.
No extra tickets to buy food, all proceeds go to the college.....its been done that way since they started ToO back in 89.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 PM

10,759 posts, read 9,457,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The way its done at ToO is one price at the door, thats it.
No extra tickets to buy food, all proceeds go to the college.....its been done that way since they started ToO back in 89.

Then the restaurants all donate the food. The budget for this is under marketing.

Alcohol is a whole other animal. I'm not sure about Florida laws but it's nearly impossible to give it away and sometimes not legal. So part of that ticket price will go towards paying for the booze.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Then the restaurants all donate the food. The budget for this is under marketing.

Alcohol is a whole other animal. I'm not sure about Florida laws but it's nearly impossible to give it away and sometimes not legal. So part of that ticket price will go towards paying for the booze.
Yes, the restaurants donate the groceries.
For many years there was no alcohol allowed, its only been in the last few years that they have included it in the ticket price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala