Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Quite the angry thread here lol...
I guess my descriptions of what we saw in the ONF hit a nerve. There is some reason the poster doesn't want the truth known. Once they resort to name calling, they've lost.......

Quote:
BOT though, the canoe run at Juniper Springs is absolutely beautiful, especially at this time of year... not to hot out and not too cold. Have had many a good weekend enjoying it. Have also always tried to get to be one of the 1st out so you can see more of the wildlife.
Do you camp somewhere in the ONF or just go for the day? The weather has been great here except for the few drizzly days. Santos Park is a nice place with walking, riding and bicycling trails. We stayed at a CG there for a week last winter but never did see any wildlife. Not even a rabbit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 AM

7 posts, read 16,185 times
Now, I am really wondering about moving to Ocala, the way you talk about the national forest and all. We want to be safe. The national forest really perked my interest when i saw it in Ocala, now I dont know. I like to hike but my fiancee cant because of his back, so it doesnt sound like that would be a good idea for me. I want to be active, hiking, bicycling, horseback riding.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missystroup View Post
Now, I am really wondering about moving to Ocala, the way you talk about the national forest and all. We want to be safe. The national forest really perked my interest when i saw it in Ocala, now I dont know. I like to hike but my fiancee cant because of his back, so it doesnt sound like that would be a good idea for me. I want to be active, hiking, bicycling, horseback riding.
Theres nothing wrong with the Forest.
Millions of people use it every year.
Pay no attention to the hyperbole of some folks on this thread.
I live in the Forest and have for a long time.
I feel safer out here than when I lived in Ocala.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 AM

7 posts, read 16,185 times
Thanks. Everybody had me worried. Ocala, seems like a nice quiet place to live, away from the hustle and bustle of a big town or city. I am a country gal and am not comfortable with big cities. We would like to find a property with a few acres for a couple of horses and maybe a cow for meat. How is the weather there. Is it really cold in the winter or does it stay nice and warm? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure what we are getting into before we even start looking. Thanks again

Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Everybody had me worried. Ocala, seems like a nice quiet place to live, away from the hustle and bustle of a big town or city. I am a country gal and am not comfortable with big cities. We would like to find a property with a few acres for a couple of horses and maybe a cow for meat. How is the weather there. Is it really cold in the winter or does it stay nice and warm? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure what we are getting into before we even start looking. Thanks again
I just answered your question about the weather in the other thread.
Since you are a country gal, you would probably really like the Forest.
Where I live, its only 7 miles to the closest Wal Mart, and there are plenty of amenities on the East side of Ocala.
Silver Springs, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its beautiful out here, we are very happy, we have never had a moments trouble.
My husbands parents lived out here on the farm for many, many years, they never had a problem either.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:17 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Don't forget that Ocala is not officially in the Ocala National Forest. The city limits are actually west of the ONF. Plenty of fine country living outside of the forest, not that there is any issue (my opinion) with the forest area. I think the forest is a beautiful area with far less urbanization/hustle and bustle. Perfect for country living and close enough to "civilization".

Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Folks.. please remember
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other

Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
There is Santos Park right off 441. There are trails for miles where you can hike, bike or ride horses. I haven't read or heard of anything negative going on there. It's a beautiful forest and the trails are well used and marked. There were always people on bicycles on the trails when we were there and we felt quite safe.

If you do visit the ONF, just stay where the other people are and don't wander off alone on lonely trails. You should be fine. You have to be careful in any really large park these days.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Quite the angry thread here lol...

BOT though, the canoe run at Juniper Springs is absolutely beautiful, especially at this time of year... not to hot out and not too cold. Have had many a good weekend enjoying it. Have also always tried to get to be one of the 1st out so you can see more of the wildlife.
Yes, I would really like this! Maybe one day soon I will get up early and make the drive from Tampa.

I DID go hiking around the Lake Eaton area and enjoyed it. BTW I did not get murdered.

I am going to Paynes Prairie (not in Ocala NF but near Gainesville) tomorrow and am exicted. I was considering doing the yearling trail in Ocala NF also which sounds interesting.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
Yes, I would really like this! Maybe one day soon I will get up early and make the drive from Tampa.

I DID go hiking around the Lake Eaton area and enjoyed it. BTW I did not get murdered.

I am going to Paynes Prairie (not in Ocala NF but near Gainesville) tomorrow and am exicted. I was considering doing the yearling trail in Ocala NF also which sounds interesting.
They've been rounding up the buffalo on the prairie.
If you go to the park and go up the observation tower, you might be able to see the action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala