Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,832,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastONFResident View Post
Where you work has nothing to do with your state of mind unless you work at the centers which then could explain it all
Ah, insults instead of fact.
Tell us, why are you familiar with The Centers?

Quote:
Actually you only live right over the bridge by sharps ferry road which is not really part of the forest. The forest actually is about another 4 miles east of Nubys Corners. So I guess you still can't comment on life in in the forest.
Take a drive out about another 10-12 miles NE towards Salt Springs and then make a comment on what you see.
Funny, the Forest Service would disagree with you on where the Forest actually starts.
You do know how to read a map, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 PM

26 posts, read 32,250 times
Kshe95girl, come-on girl, get real,you being on the eastern border of the forest does not make you an expert of the whole middle part of the forest. You have been calling people out on their posts telling them they don't know what they're talking about when it's you who doesn't even live anywhere near what the forest people consider true forest living. Now you have come upon someone who is calling you out on your posts.Funny thing about maps. The map you posted shows you (this year,2012) as just within the forest services guidelines. Next year or the following year roads and borders or an act of congress could change which would put you just outside the border so either way you are no expert on true ONF life. In either case I have come to the conclusion that either you, your husband, or someone you are related to are Real Estate Agents and you are trying to sell properties to unsuspecting, uninformed people. I have lived in and I have researched the true ONF and it is not a good place for raising a family in. It's a beautiful place wrapped in sheeps clothing. Visit it with plenty of friends but don't advertise it as a Garden of Eden to live in.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,832,493 times
Quote:
Kshe95girl, come-on girl, get real,you being on the eastern border of the forest does not make you an expert of the whole middle part of the forest. You have been calling people out on their posts telling them they don't know what they're talking about when it's you who doesn't even live anywhere near what the forest people consider true forest living. Now you have come upon someone who is calling you out on your posts.Funny thing about maps. The map you posted shows you (this year,2012) as just within the forest services guidelines. Next year or the following year roads and borders or an act of congress could change which would put you just outside the border so either way you are no expert on true ONF life. In either case I have come to the conclusion that either you, your husband, or someone you are related to are Real Estate Agents and you are trying to sell properties to unsuspecting, uninformed people. I have lived in and I have researched the true ONF and it is not a good place for raising a family in. It's a beautiful place wrapped in sheeps clothing. Visit it with plenty of friends but don't advertise it as a Garden of Eden to live in.
1) I never said it was the Garden of Eden.
It is also not the reeking pit you claim it to be.
2) In case you didnt know, the Forestry Service puts out new maps every year, but that doesnt mean the lines on the map change. Thats a fail on your part.
Do the boundaries on state maps change because they make new ones every year?
Logic doesnt seem to be your friend, dear.
3) If you had bothered to even read anything here, you would know what I do, and also what my husband does for a living.
So, that makes your claim (see bolded) utter rubbish.
4) I have come to realize what you are, it starts with a T, and ends with an L.

Oh, and you are NOT allowed to call me "girl".
Thats reserved for friends, of which you are not one, and I am glad I do not personally know people such as yourself.
So, tell me, when is your "research" coming out as a novel?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,892,146 times
Quote:
Thank you for coming forward with the truth. For some reason there are those on this Forum who don't want the truth known about the ONF. If we ever venture through there again, off the main roads, which I doubt, I'll take pictures of what we saw and how those unfortunate souls live. The shacks and shanties and poverty that's heart wrenching. I'll now prepare myself for more personal attacks which are against Forum rules.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I have relatives in Hancock County Tn. Some of them, including my mother, moved on. Most stayed. They were all close and often went back to the homestead. My Grandfather lived into his nineties and my Grandmother till 103. They had a hard scrabble but content life. They shared their simple ways and optimistic outlook with their kids who are some of the nicest, most well adjusted people I've ever met.They were truly poor but self sufficient. I would say I was "just existing" with a good job in Phila. and a home at the Jersey shore. They found joy in the simplest things. I admit that I couldn't live that way, but, if things really went to hell they would get by. Not so sure you or I would be so lucky.
There is "poor" and there is "destitute" and there is a difference. Your description can fit my husband's family also. They were content but poor farm and country people. They weren't so poor they lived in hovels and converted truck bodies though. Their clothes were plain and simple but clean. Their homes were small and neat and they could afford the dentist and to bathe - indoor plumbing. Could I live such a simple life of church, children and kitchen? Probably not. Now that we're retired, we like to travel and do the things that weren't possible when working.

But as for what we saw in the ONF, no, I couldn't live like that.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:40 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,965,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
There is "poor" and there is "destitute" and there is a difference. Your description can fit my husband's family also. They were content but poor farm and country people. They weren't so poor they lived in hovels and converted truck bodies though. Their clothes were plain and simple but clean. Their homes were small and neat and they could afford the dentist and to bathe - indoor plumbing. Could I live such a simple life of church, children and kitchen? Probably not. Now that we're retired, we like to travel and do the things that weren't possible when working.

But as for what we saw in the ONF, no, I couldn't live like that.
If they could afford the things you said, they weren't poor. Dentists and indoor plumbing are luxuries to some.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:44 PM

345 posts, read 972,183 times
What on earth are people talking about the Ocala National Forest being dangerous?

My dad took me camping there when I was a kid (Clearwater Lake, to be exact). Never a problem. None. I doubt he would have taken me there if some of the stories are to be believed.

ONF has some beautiful places in it, and great hiking spots. Juniper Springs, Alexander Springs, the aforementioned Clearwater Lake...all worth a visit.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 PM

50 posts, read 222,823 times
Why can't you all just get along- agree to disagree... You are making this forum for Ocala look bad and quite confusing for us thinking of moving out there, just DM/PM each other in private if you're going to debate this.. Like your moderator said, stay on topic, I don't think the op is thinking of living there in the forest, just visiting-but moving to Ocala (I can't quite remember since it's far back on the thread and got side tracked by all the bickering)

The only way to experience the ONF is to take a trip during the day with a few/group of people, wouldn't you agree?. I grew up in Washington State and there are plenty of National Forest around where I've gone, visited and camped. The crazies are EVERYWHERE in EVERY NATIONAL FOREST Who cares what these 'poverty stricken' people have to live in. That is something that I'm sure most of us would not like to live like but some people I'm sure have no choice or really enjoy living like that. Like a poster said, stay where the tourist go. I would.. Don't go off of the beaten path. I'm sure a National Forest has Park Rangers around, ask them the safest, the most beautiful places are to see or visit. We are currently living in Charlotte, NC and are looking to maybe making a move in the general area of Ocala for a potential job (my FIL lives in The Villages ) but I'll tell the truth people that arguing on a forum like this makes me not want to look or even ask question here.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
What on earth are people talking about the Ocala National Forest being dangerous?
Not the whole forest. No one made that claim. That would be like saying everyone in the entire state of TN are poor hillbillies. There are sections of the forest best avoided - that's the point.

Quote:
My dad took me camping there when I was a kid (Clearwater Lake, to be exact). Never a problem. None. I doubt he would have taken me there if some of the stories are to be believed.
I haven't seen anyone mention Clear Water Lake.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:41 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,843,352 times
http://kidnappingmurderandmayhem.blo...rk-forest.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala