Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed light on the few people selling puppies at the large Marion Flea Market on 441 in Belleview? Are they getting them from Midwest puppy mills? I overheard something there yesterday and am now curious.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 16,533 times
I do not believe that they would be getting them from the northwest (to expensive) but are probably just breeding them in their own backyard, which is why they are called, "Backyard Breeders."

They should not be trusted and are the main people responsible for the pet overpopulation in the United States of America. The biggest warning flag is the fact that they are selling their puppies in a flea market when no other responsible breeder would do that.

A lot of these breeders do not care about the dog's welfare, and they are basically little puppy mills. The puppies usually do not have a good body condition and are unhealthy.

Hope this helps

My source:
I have been training/showing competition dogs for years and have placed nationally. I am involved in breeding and rescuing.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My User Name View Post
I do not believe that they would be getting them from the northwest (to expensive) but are probably just breeding them in their own backyard, which is why they are called, "Backyard Breeders."
The woman selling them is evasive when asked where the puppies come from and she has many breeds. If she's breeding them herself she must have hundreds of dogs at her house. I heard them talking that she gets them from midwest puppy mills. I know they ship all over the USA and sell their sick poor quality pups for under $50 ea. These resellers then ask several hundred for them. I saw a white German Shepard there for $550. Even if she paid $100 to $150 with shipping, that's quite a profit.

Quote:
They should not be trusted and are the main people responsible for the pet overpopulation in the United States of America. The biggest warning flag is the fact that they are selling their puppies in a flea market when no other responsible breeder would do that.
Agreed. I bred and showed miniature poodles in the north east in the 60s and 70s. Almost all the pups were sold by word of mouth through people from the show circuit or who bought pups from me previously. Pet quality was spayed or neutered and I sold them trough ads in the paper, not at flea markets. And all people had to be approved.

Quote:
A lot of these breeders do not care about the dog's welfare, and they are basically little puppy mills. The puppies usually do not have a good body condition and are unhealthy.

Hope this helps

My source:
I have been training/showing competition dogs for years and have placed nationally. I am involved in breeding and rescuing.
Thank you. I'm now sure what I heard was true. Also, there is no way anyone can approve a home when they simply hand the pup over at a flea market to any Tom, Dick or Harry, take their cash and that's it.... and another sucker gets taken as they soon find out the pup has all kinds of issues. There has been so much information online, in the papers and on TV about puppy mills and to a less degree, the backyard breeders, and still people are foolish enough to buy from these dog dealers.

Last edited by =^..^=; 03-13-2012 at 10:19 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
There are PLENTY of backyard breeders right here in Marion County.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
There are PLENTY of backyard breeders right here in Marion County.
And that may be where most of these puppies are coming from. I would think though, that the backyard breeders would want to haul off their poor quality pups and make the profit themselves, not sell them to puppy-purveyors letting them make all the profit. I love the Marian Co. flea market but will bypass these people selling puppies to anyone coming down the pike.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
And that may be where most of these puppies are coming from. I would think though, that the backyard breeders would want to haul off their poor quality pups and make the profit themselves, not sell them to puppy-purveyors letting them make all the profit. I love the Marian Co. flea market but will bypass these people selling puppies to anyone coming down the pike.
There is a guy whom I think is a purveyor that lives close to us.
Large dog runs, and mostly female pit bulls.
They escape and dig under our fence, run the goats and dig in the orchard and gardens.
None of the kids have been hurt, but I worry.
Yes, we have have spoken to them, more than once.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
There is a guy whom I think is a purveyor that lives close to us.
Large dog runs, and mostly female pit bulls.
They escape and dig under our fence, run the goats and dig in the orchard and gardens.
None of the kids have been hurt, but I worry.
Yes, we have have spoken to them, more than once.
He may be breeding them for the dog-fighting industry. You can ask him who his insurance is with in case one of the dogs attacks you or your children or any livestock you may have. That will give him something to think about.

He needs to bury his fencing a few feet to keep these diggers confined. I'm not from FL. I'm only here for the winter, but surely there is someone you can report him to. There has to be some kind of laws here concerning dogs running loose - digging themselves out or not.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
He may be breeding them for the dog-fighting industry. You can ask him who his insurance is with in case one of the dogs attacks you or your children or any livestock you may have. That will give him something to think about.

He needs to bury his fencing a few feet to keep these diggers confined. I'm not from FL. I'm only here for the winter, but surely there is someone you can report him to. There has to be some kind of laws here concerning dogs running loose - digging themselves out or not.
Our neighbor that lives behind us thinks the same thing, and this guy is not going to do anything about the fencing, as the house is a rental.
We have reported these folks, but havent seen anything happen yet.
I have gotten to the point that I keep a BB gun with me when I am outside working in the garden or orchard, which is pretty much all day this time of year.
I think I am gonna go call again.....squeaky wheel, you know.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,335,572 times
Wow, if that happened in my neighborhood I would be calling animal control and/or the home owner's association (if one existed) on a daily basis. In fact, they would be in the speed dial on my phone.

If I felt threatened by a dog in my own yard, I would be carrying a larger caliber gun with me than a BB gun.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Wow, if that happened in my neighborhood I would be calling animal control and/or the home owner's association (if one existed) on a daily basis. In fact, they would be in the speed dial on my phone.

If I felt threatened by a dog in my own yard, I would be carrying a larger caliber gun with me than a BB gun.
I dont feel threatened in the slightest, I carry a pistol with me.
I do wory about the critters though, as I cant be out there every moment.
I am close to Sharpes Ferry bridge, and there are plenty of bears out here.
Because we are out in the county, animal control is much slower to respond.
We had an emergency out here New Years Eve, it took the sheriffs dept 20 minutes to get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala