U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 14,960 times

Advertisements

I have been seriously considering moving to Gainesville when I retire this Fall but have recently run into two people who told me that the cost of electricity is outrageous and the only option is getting it from GRU...

One person told me that he paid between $300 to $350 12 months out of the year for his electric bill besides his $600 a month rent for a smaller sized apartment.

I'd appreciate any insight into what some of you are paying for a standard size apartment/condo. Is it true that its that much more expensive for electricity in Gainesville then Ocala? I have some friends who live in Palm Beach area with a good sized house and they said their electric bill is never more then $225 and thats in the summer when you would run the A/C alot.

Thanks for any information.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 14,863 times
You have been informed correctly and that was a big part of why my husband and I moved out of their service area. We have about the same square footage, heat/ac source and everything but now we pay about $200 less per month on our electric bill.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 16,264 times
Default Gru

too any one want to move to gainesville.YOUR el bill will be at least $ 400.00 dollar a month!!! the last month we live in gainesville .we shut power off at house.live in motor home IN yard as a test!.our last bill was $ 425 ..we move to clay el.our first bill was $ 65...( +we had a pool at our new place) but when we list too radio.GRU runs ads.saying they have the lowest rates. gru runs ads.tellingl pple ..that gru give money for making ur house better!! I put new windows inst hole house.we spent $ 15,000 on house.GRU gave us NOTHING!! but A BIGGER BILL!! why is it gru can lie about everything they do???

Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 PM

509 posts, read 1,520,109 times
So don't live in Gainesville! The surrounding communities don't use GRU and overall cost of living is less.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM

779 posts, read 3,477,240 times
Utilities are pretty costly in Gainesville. Overall cost of living is quite low, though.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 AM

509 posts, read 1,520,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Utilities are pretty costly in Gainesville. Overall cost of living is quite low, though.
Maybe its low if you rent, but not if you are paying property taxes. And the cost of gas is higher in Gainesille than in most surrounding counties.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:28 AM

18 posts, read 84,647 times
Living here in gainesville for now around 30 years or so . Yes, the utilities are outrageous and utterly mind blowing. My cost is around 350-400 monthly and that also is 12mths of the year. I don't even have small kids at home. They tell you to upgrade your electrical items and make sure your shelter has good weather proofing. I can only say that the older the house is the better the bills seem to be. My brother lives in a home that is about 30yrs or so and he says his bill runs around 200 monthly . My home was built in 2006, go figure. The problem also being we don't have an option of companies like cable or satellite and yes, gas is ridiculous because everybody drives, remember this is a college town, so money has to be made 8 mths out of the year. Happy Hunting

Old 04-05-2012, 02:22 PM

53 posts, read 128,448 times
We lived west of Gainesville and had Progress Energy. 6 people in the home, 4 bed/3 bath and we paid between $60-$200 (winter/summer).

Old 04-08-2012, 02:16 PM

46 posts, read 71,696 times
I currently live in Gainesville (off of Tower Rd) for almost a year. I agree with what's been said about utilitiy rates here. When I compare to our location we lived over in PSL, FL, the rates seemed comparable with FP&L. Where they really seem to get you if you look at your bill are the taxes. Looks like $40-50+ will always be there for taxes. Our highest bill in PSL was $80 (doesn't include water, added in would be $130). So far, just got my lowest GRU bill ever for $129 (util, water, sewage, taxes) since we haven't had to run air/heat all that much, which seems to be the biggest guzzler even though it's supposed to be energy efficient. That's from a high of $350/$250/$200, during the first 3 months each when it was saying we were using over 1200 kwh of power a month, a total we never approached anywhere near in PSL or in Baltimore (800 was like the highest).

I miss the old days when I lived in my little apartment in AL, could leave the air on all day while I was gone, and the highest my electric bill would be was $60, if that.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 PM

109 posts, read 276,170 times
gainesville is expensive for what u get ? what do u get ? small town , with huge college , kids, etc . 2 + hours to any real city . property taxes high , gas prices high , wow .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala