U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:13 PM

218 posts, read 453,333 times

Advertisements

I kind of searched around as well to see if Douglas York had ever been found, too. Not much out there on the Interwebs including if there was any continued search after the initial newspaper report, etc.
Name searches didn't bring up much of anything relevant either.

As for the Ocala National Forest, I've spent a LOT of time out there both professionally as part of a previous job and personally as a camper.

Encountered my first bear at Alexander Springs about 8 years ago. We came within @ 10 feet of each other. He was coming out of a tent where he had been foraging for food and I was passing through the campground on foot. There was NO one else in the campground except me and Yogi. He was more scared of me than I was of him. Literally stood up on his hind legs (and with that he was about 2' taller than me and I'm 5'), urinated on himself then bellowed. Luckily he then high-tailed it out of there. I stood with my heart pounding in my ears..LOL. I did have a walking stick in my hands but I doubt it would have done much.

All that being said, I'm more afraid of the ppl in the Forest than any of the wild animals. Native Floridians I have no problem with but the Rainbow kids have no qualms about being trouble - some of them anyway. The few that I've run into on Silver Springs Blvd during their gatherings are either begging for cash, food, or being general nuisances. I've seen some harass ppl to the point where I've had to tell them to back off.

I certainly wouldn't ride alone through the forest on a bike much less camp there. It's either the faint sound of dueling banjos you can hear or accidentally walking up into someone's pot farm that you'd have to be worried about. But *that* can happen in any forest. I think the ONF is no different.

Hope the guy was found. Pretty horrific and sad if he wasn't.

Last edited by OcalaLiving; 09-08-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 PM

17 posts, read 34,512 times
Bears live in the forest, that's their home. Glad your encounter was what it was - caught the bear in the act. He was probably more afraid of the Rainbow people, banjos, and pot fields than he was of hunters.

Riding a bike in any forest alone is unwise. Camping alone at night in a forest, or in Central Park, could be dangerous.

Begging is on the rise not only in Ocala, people beg for food now-days, can't fault them for being hungry.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 PM

135 posts, read 306,602 times
I've lived in Ocala for almost 20 years, seen Rainbow people all over near Silver Springs and the Walmart on the Blvd. 5 years ago I had my one and only encounter with two of them. I'm willing to bet that the two I dealt with were the exception and not the rule because I've heard so many bad stories and complaints about Rainbows, but they came into the shop I was working (in the plaza next to Walmart with Payless, Subway, and Gamestop), asked how to get to Gainesville from there, and then thanked me for the directions by offering me some acid lol. I declined, they left, pleasant day for all hehe.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 PM

91 posts, read 183,129 times
I was trying to find any information to see if he was found and all I can find is the original newspaper article stating he went there FOR the rainbow gathering ( i have no idea what rainbow people are, I'm just assuming hippies??? ) but that's it.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:09 PM

4,045 posts, read 6,794,252 times
Yes, the rainbow gathering folks are "hippies" in the Ocala National Forest.

I think they closed the whole forest this morning due to the government "shutdown".

Old 04-16-2014, 11:24 PM

53 posts, read 57,141 times
Default did you find him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
My 26 year old son, Doug York started on a cross country bicycle ride from Kissamee 14 days ago. He rides between 50 and 150 miles a day and is great shape. He agreed to check in with his mom or myself daily. 12 days ago he told mom he was in the ocala national forest and had chopped wood for some folks who lived there in exchange for food and shelter for the night. He said his phone was almost dead, he would charge it the next evening and call so we could track his progress. It has now been 12 days, no contact. His phone has not been used since.
He is 6.1 200 pounds. Lots of tattoos, brown eyes shaved head. We have contacted the local police and highway patrol who havent really helped, just took reports. If anyone knows anything, please, please let me know. yave1964@aol.com Thank you.

hello i was wondering if you found your son? it is now 4/17/14 i know your grief my son went missing as well but thank God only a week.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 PM

53 posts, read 57,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesaw View Post
I just called someone asking about hippies in Ocala. She said the ones there are not even considered part of rainbow groups. She said even knowledgeable hippies have gone missing at that forest. I've never visited Ocala, it sounds really shady..
hi can you tell me more about what your talking about? hippies and rainbow groups an where is that forrest area you talk about? we are thinking of moving to the forrest area. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala